Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement Ideas

Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
in General 553 karma

So I'm currently debating between two wildly different ideas for my personal statement: one about the world of undergraduate moot court (I took the class for three years and it really solidified my desire to pursue law school) and another about a week long camping trip in the Grand Canyon where I had some near death experiences. Obviously, the first topic is way more directly relevant to law school, however I also feel that the second is unique and potentially more interesting. Any thoughts?

Personal Statement Conundrum
  1. Which Topic Should I Write About?27 votes
    1. Don't be fool, write about pretending to be an appellate lawyer as a 22 year-old
        7.41%
    2. Don't be boring, write about something that makes you look adventurous and whatnot
      92.59%

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

First of all, write about the one that is more important to you.

Secondly, consider writing both as drafts and comparing them.

Finally, if I have to pick as is I'm going with the Grand Canyon for the slight novely factor.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

2nd what @"Seeking Perfection" said. You'll hone in on what to write once you start writing on diff topics.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah agreed with the above. I think you’re a lot better off going for unique and interesting vs something sort of lawyer-y. You could also then save the moot court experience as something to answer the “Why law” question you’ll inevitably get in interviews.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'm going to third @"Seeking Perfection" and say write both. I had a couple ideas myself, ended up writing both, and ended up really happy with one and jettisoning the other. Sometimes you can't tell what's going to be better until you write it.

• ktvarda1ktvarda1 Alum Member
    164 karma

I like both ideas. If I had to choose, I’d choose the Grand Canyon one to show your personality outside of law. Try to throw in a few sentences about your moot court experience if you can pull it off.

• Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
    553 karma

Great, thanks for the suggestions everyone and get out of here spam.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, I agree that combining the two topics is a good idea.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Definitely try both. Write up a quick, super rough draft of each and i think you'll be able to tell pretty easily which is worth pursuing. I'm currently writing on my 5th topic, sometimes a good topic just refuses to cooperate and germinate a good ps.