Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small victory: maintained score after a long break

Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
in General 8392 karma

Just a note to say... I've heard folks say that the LSAT is kinda like riding a bike. Once you learn the logic and how to take the test, the skills more or less stick around. I'm happy to report that after being away from it for about 6 weeks, it's pretty true!

After the December test, I've basically only been focusing on applications. I'm still registered to re-take in February though. I was hoping to have apps done by now and be able to go back to drilling, but life has gotten in the way and I'm crazy behind on applications. Ugh.

Just to gauge where I'm at though, I took a PT yesterday and scored the exact same as I did on the December test! I was afraid that I would have gotten rusty. In LR, I actually felt like I improved a lot. I finished both sections with about 5 minutes to spare (which is a first for me) and went -1 and -2, which is basically my high scores for those. I did feel rusty on LG though, they all took me longer than I think they should have and my score reflected that. I did better than average on RC too, which is my weakest section. That all balanced out to a consistent score with where I was at in early December though, and I'm very pleased. I actually even think an extended break was helpful - I think I did better on LR because I wasn't overthinking things so much.

So this is a note also just to encourage anyone that may have had to take a break for any number of reasons, or is afraid of taking a break to recover from burn out: trust yourself! If you learned the underlying logic, you're going to be ok and retain those skills.

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

:smile: Aw this is good! It means the LSAT fundamentals are embedded deep in your brain now! Congrats on this victory haha!

• 120_or_bust120_or_bust Core Member
    124 karma

Nice! Due to work, I'll have to take a fair few 1-week breaks (writing in June) so I'm glad that it's not guaranteed to hurt my exam prep.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Hey @"Leah M B" Do you know if those schools will hold off seeing your app until your february exam scores post?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Hey @"Leah M B" Do you know if those schools will hold off seeing your app until your february exam scores post?

Not sure on all their policies, but I know that schools can see you are registered for future tests. I plan to email them after submitting to let them know that though I am registered for February I would like my application to be reviewed now.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Not sure on all their policies, but I know that schools can see you are registered for future tests. I plan to email them after submitting to let them know that though I am registered for February I would like my application to be reviewed now.

I can answer this! I submitted apps (with my December score) at the beginning of January. A few schools will, by default, hold your app; for instance, I had to email GW and Berkeley to tell them not to do so. Even though Duke offered me priority, they emailed me saying they'd hold upon receiving my app and seeing the Feb registration…so I told them not to (and got in!). Stanford emailed me about 2 weeks later to say they wouldn't hold unless I had extenuating circumstances to report (I don't). I think for quite a few schools, they go right ahead and evaluate. If you're very concerned, definitely reach out and confirm with them!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Great job! Good to know :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is great to hear. Excellent work!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@calcal101 @"Leah M B" . Thanks for the responses. Hope you guys get a 170+ on your official test if you havent done so already

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

It's so much easier to study for the test when it actually feels like long-term skills are being developed, rather than simply learning techniques for a single test that will soon depreciate. Thanks for this! :smile:

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

Yes!! I encourage taking breaks too. After going a little stir crazy my scores ended up actually improving after a 3 week hiatus. I guess it really does require some time for the material to sink in and register.