Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it only me? Review takes hours..

BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
in General 352 karma

Hi,

I take like hours to review questions that I got it wrong... I go through every answers and try to figure it out why each is wrong or right...

I've noticed if I review like 10 questions.. I spend almost an hour... sometimes more..
Am I the only one who's taking this long? Is this normal?

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It is normal. It can start to take a little less long over all once you get more confident on more questions and get more right.

However, the per question time should remain really long. There is a reason most people don't blind review intensively enough to get the full benefit. It is very time intensive.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

This is totally normal. Don’t let it discourage you. BR is where you’ll make your greatest gains.

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    1008 karma

you are doing exactly what you should be doing!! That's awesome.

• 136 karma

Totally normal

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

You aren't alone!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

The more time you're taking, the more you're benefiting! Keep up the intensity and you'll go far!

People who's blind review looks anything like, "oh yup, I should've picked B. Just a silly mistake, next question", are in deep trouble. That's just a waste of time. Your goal is to truly understand the question; its structure, arguments, and logic, and each answer choice, right or wrong. Even for a 1-star question, doing this process thoroughly might take 5-10 minutes. multiply that by 5 for a curve-breaker!

Trust the system and stay patient!

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

Do you guys write down explanations on your notebooks?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Broccoli180 said:
    Do you guys write down explanations on your notebooks?

I type them out, but only so I can store them and actually read them. My handwriting looks like a drunken baboon's (whatever that looks like...)

If I miss a question I spend at least 20 minutes reviewing it. Properly reviewing an entire section takes me at least an hour or an hour and a half. For LR and RC, I write out detailed explanations and passage summaries, as well as prove out my answer choices with line cites from the passage on RC. I find that forcing yourself to write out explanations, even if you never look at them again, ensures you are actually grappling with the issues that messed you up and making sure you're learning how to improve. It's too easy to trick ourselves into thinking we understand the answers when we truly do not. Understanding is not binary and just because you know the answer doesn't mean you truly understand the question. Likewise, just because you miss a question doesn't mean you didn't understand anything about it at all. Writing out explanations will help you to focus in on the parts you didn't which is helpful.

Reviewing is where the actual improvement takes place, so never feel like you're taking too much time. In my estimation you can't ever spend too much time reviewing. You want to keep going until you reach that "Ahh! Yes, now I get it" moment.

I also highly recommend cutting out all of the questions you miss on LR and creating decks of missed questions to go through. This has helped me immensely. Further, I find writing out/typing out all my wrong answers helpful. I've found that when you read through 15-20 of the wrong answers choices you chose, patterns start to emerge. For me, I realized many of my stupid mistakes were when I picked answer choices that were the reversal of what I was actually looking for.

352 karma

@"Alex Divine" okay! i'm not doing anything wrong. Thank God. Thanks Alex :) always helpful
    and thanks to all who replied!

352 karma

@tylerdschreur10 there's a curve in lsat?

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    661 karma

It typically takes me about an hour to BR 5 questions.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Broccoli180 said:
    @tylerdschreur10 there's a curve in lsat?

Technically it's scaled, but often you'll find people calling really challenging LSAT questions "curve breakers" since they seem to do a good job at separating people between score bands.

352 karma

@victorwu Same

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited January 2018 5254 karma

I'm right there with you and the other people who commented on this.

• demiiisodaaademiiisodaaa Alum Member
    131 karma

Yeah... I spend like 2-3 days per LR section... I try to BR all the questions (some more intensively than others) and jot down reasoning for eliminating and choosing answers. Then, I watch explanations for questions I wasn't sure of and try to correct my reasoning. For some I type out my reasoning again to make sure. All that said, it takes so much time... lol I begin to think doing timed section is the "easy" part. :open_mouth:

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It might not seem like it now, but I'm starting to realize in the big picture there's actually not that many tests so it's really good to spend the time reviewing.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

I spend most of a day reviewing my PTs, and that's just the circled questions plus games. Don't worry! :)