Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scholarship Interviews

goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 3072 karma

I've been selected as a finalist for the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship, which is a full-tuition scholarship offered to outstanding first-generation students who may attend Berkeley Law School. I have to sit for an in-person interview to be selected, so Berkeley is going to pay for me to fly out there for a couple days to interview and visit. I feel so special!

What do I do?! What do I say?! What do I wear?! Has anyone here had to sit for these sorts of high stakes interviews yet? I'm really excited but also nervous since I've never had to do anything quite like this.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Nothing really to add but, congratulations!!! I wanted to apply for that but missed the deadline. That's so awesome! Good luck!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I'd expect that if they are flying you out, they're probably going to sell you the Berkeley program, not the other way around.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

WOW congratulations! I dont personally have experience with law school interviews. But I can give you my two cents. It seems like the school really wants you and I think you should keep things cordial yet amiable. I would say prepare to have answers to questions like Why Law, and have concrete, compelling anecdotes about your work experience as well as your experience as a first generation student. If its not too personal, might I ask what ethnicity you are?

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Congratulations!!! I recall reading in some article that you should wear a wool suit if you're a girl (skirt and blazer). GOOD LUCK!!! =)

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

First off, that's awesome, congrats!

For interviews, I would go with business or business formal. I don't believe you can really overdress. That said, we can be a bit more relaxed out here on the west coast. Interviews in university for me were often a nice blouse with a dressy cardigan or blazer (depending on the industry and seriousness of the event), paired with slacks/formal skirt.

Can't help much with the what to do, what to say part, though.

Good luck! Hope you get selected!! :smile:

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited February 2018 3072 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    WOW congratulations! I dont personally have experience with law school interviews. But I can give you my two cents. It seems like the school really wants you and I think you should keep things cordial yet amiable. I would say prepare to have answers to questions like Why Law, and have concrete, compelling anecdotes about your work experience as well as your experience as a first generation student. If its not too personal, might I ask what ethnicity you are?

I'm a white bread American male. :p

Thanks for the insight! I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind.

Thanks for the advice and congratulations so far, everyone! This is all really encouraging.

• MsMazamaMsMazama Alum Member
    154 karma

That sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck!

3788 karma

@goingfor99th said:

Nice! Congrats once again and I hope you get into Berkeley :)

@goingfor99th said:

Thank you but I'm already in!! Just need to win this scholarship now. :)

3788 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@goingfor99th said:

Thank you but I'm already in!! Just need to win this scholarship now. :)

Haha great job!!! Go get that money!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Congratulations @goingfor99th !!!! If you win the scholarship will you choose Berkeley over Yale?

@Sprinkles said:
    Congratulations @goingfor99th !!!! If you win the scholarship will you choose Berkeley over Yale?

Probably not! Haha. Still, I've heard through the grapevine that you can leverage money from other schools against Yale if you're real clever/nice about it, so I have to at least try. :]

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is a really good opportunity. Have you talked to any alums? I'd try to network a little beforehand if you have time. Be super-friendly and engaging and have some good stories ready. Maybe ask for course recommendations and ask people about their career journeys.

3072 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    This is a really good opportunity. Have you talked to any alums? I'd try to network a little beforehand if you have time. Be super-friendly and engaging and have some good stories ready. Maybe ask for course recommendations and ask people about their career journeys.

Haven't spoken with any alums, yet. I may reach out to the person assigned to me by Berkeley as a consultant for this scholarship, though. I'm curious what they have to say! :]

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

That's awesome! You've earned it. You should wear one of those tuxedo T-shirts with a pair of khaki cargo shorts.