Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reviewing/"Blind Reviewing" AFTER watching LR video explanations

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Logical Reasoning 1755 karma

Hey all,

I know Blind reviewing is usually done before one looks at the answers, where one thinks to himself why one answer choice is 100% right and the other four are 100% wrong.

I wanted to hear your thoughts on "Blind reviewing" after you watch JY's LR video explanation. What I mean by this is that after you watch the video, maybe have some time distance away from that specific LR problem (like 1 or 2 days), and then go back to that question you got wrong and then really think and explain to yourself why 1 answer is 100% right and the other 4 are 100% wrong.

Granted, this is after you already watched the video explanation, but with this you're testing yourself to see if you REALLY understood the question and why you got it wrong...rather than tricking yourself that you fully understood the question simply because you watched JY's video explanation when in actuality you perhaps didn't really understand it. With this method, by dissecting wrong questions after having watched JY's video explanation, you're also trying to understand any "cookie cutter" lesson to be learned from that question, or find any general LR pattern.

I've heard top scorers do something similar to this where they cut out all their wrong LR questions and then review them scrupulously (re-resolve them, break down the grammar, fully analyze wrong answer choices and the right one, etc.) from time to time.

I've been realizing that sometimes when I redo LR questions, I get a same question wrong AGAIN, so this is just a way to really force myself to fully learn from my past mistakes. My LR score has for sometime hit a wall (-3/-4 per section) and i'm hoping to use this method of reviewing wrong LR questions to improve (granted I also blind review in the normal sense where I BR before looking at the right AC).

What are your thoughts 7sage?

Thanks.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

It's good to review after watching the explanation videos, but that isn't called Blind Review. You first have to Blind Review before knowing what the right answer is.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Echoing what akistotle said, it's not an either-or scenario. I am one of those folks who keeps a scrap book of questions I got wrong or had difficulty with. But i still do my best to solve it untimed before checking answers because otherwise, the blindspot/weakness that prevented you from answering it corrected under timed conditions is obscured. You're speaking about "fool-proofing" LR in a sense and I think that's a great strategy, but it should be applied following BR.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    edited April 2018 503 karma

I agree with @jkatz1488 and @akistotle . You need to do Blind Review first before you look at the answers.

I do understand what you're getting at -- and I think another way to accomplish this is to retake some past PTs after you've had several months away from them. I got turned on to this after listening to @"Accounts Playable" 's AMA on the 7sage youtube channel (listen to that if you're interested).

When you retake an old PT after doing blind review, you should theoretically be scoring 180. If you miss a question twice, it will show you where your weaknesses are and if you really did your blind review correctly.