Odd-ball argument forms

Hi all,

I recently jumped from doing PTs in the 40s to PTs in the 70s in preparation of the June exam. What I've noticed is that the LR sections in the 70s seem to contain a lot more 'odd-ball' argument forms. Because I've never encountered these argument forms before, it seems the only way I can get these correct is through P.O.E., and this is too unreliable for my tastes. Has anyone compiled a list of these argument forms?

I'll offer a few examples to illustrate what I'm talking about. Potential Spoilers below for PTs in the 70s

PT76 S2 Q13 - This MBT question has no inferences to be made, the correct AC is just a restatement of the stimulus. Weird!

PT76 S2 Q18 - This is a NA question in an argument-by-analogy form.. again.. really weird!

PT76 S2 Q22 - Really bizarre SA question that uses a 'tautology' argument form.

PT76 S2 Q24 - Another NA question with a weird "A-->absurd" argument form.

That's 4 really bizarre question in a single section! Am I crazy for thinking that 70s LR is really quite different from LR in the 40s?

Any help for these weird argument forms would be so dearly appreciated, lol.

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited May 2018 1804 karma

I didn't make a list of those argument forms, but I did mark them and plan to revisit them.

Some of the questions you mentioned aren't unprecedented. Take PT76 S2 Q18, for example. There is at least one analogy NA question - the good ol' hatha yoga question (PT37 S2 Q19). Not quite the same question type and format, but S2 Q22 is kind of similar to PT6 S3 Q19.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

@FixedDice hmm, I had forgotten about the Yoga question.

Have you noticed any other odd ball questions? I haven't taken any PTs in the 50-60s but I'd like to review any unusual questions so I'm not hit off guard on game day

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited May 2018 4423 karma

@"Return On Inference" said:
    Hi all,

I recently jumped from doing PTs in the 40s to PTs in the 70s in preparation of the June exam. What I've noticed is that the LR sections in the 70s seem to contain a lot more 'odd-ball' argument forms. Because I've never encountered these argument forms before, it seems the only way I can get these correct is through P.O.E., and this is too unreliable for my tastes. Has anyone compiled a list of these argument forms?

I'll offer a few examples to illustrate what I'm talking about. Potential Spoilers below for PTs in the 70s

PT76 S2 Q13 - This MBT question has no inferences to be made, the correct AC is just a restatement of the stimulus. Weird!

PT76 S2 Q18 - This is a NA question in an argument-by-analogy form.. again.. really weird!

PT76 S2 Q22 - Really bizarre SA question that uses a 'tautology' argument form.

PT76 S2 Q24 - Another NA question with a weird "A-->absurd" argument form.

That's 4 really bizarre question in a single section! Am I crazy for thinking that 70s LR is really quite different from LR in the 40s?

Any help for these weird argument forms would be so dearly appreciated, lol.

This isn't much help. I don't remember the last two from your description and don't have my PTs with me since I'm travelling.

The first one is really just the easiest form of must be true question. I remember being surprised by it though.

18 threw me a little, but the process of ellimination worked nicely. It still made it to the pile I reviewed over and over again. As @FixedDice noted it isn't unprecedented though.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@"Return On Inference" said:
    Have you noticed any other odd ball questions? I haven't taken any PTs in the 50-60s but I'd like to review any unusual questions so I'm not hit off guard on game day

None that I remember at the moment.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" what isn't a lot of help? I'm not necessarily asking for explanations of these questions (J.Y. already does a fantastic job), I'm just looking for a list or something of other 'weird' and 'oddball' LR questions.

• BomhillzBomhillz Alum Member
    edited May 2018 66 karma

@"Return On Inference" if you find a good recourse for more difficult/oddball questions please share!! and thank you for starting this!!

I'll try and do a better job of recording what I notice as oddball to post in this thread. In the meantime, this question is phrased pretty normal but the way the right AC is supported is 'weird'
    PT 39.S1.Q22