Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying for Dual Degrees

MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
edited June 2018 in General 123 karma

I’m specifically looking for people who have double majored in graduate school, doing Law School along side pursuing a Mastors from the same institution, are there any 7sagers who fit this description?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited June 2018 2531 karma

I know that there are several people on 7sage who want to pursue JD and MBA degrees simultaneously.

Why are you interested in getting a JD and a Masters at the same time?

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

It's called dual degrees, FYI.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited June 2018 774 karma

I want to do a dual JD/MSFS (masters in foreign service). Hello other dual-degree peeps!

@"Marie Avery" Did you have a specific question about the application process or something else?

• FlashLSATFlashLSAT Alum Member
    293 karma

I want to pursue a JD/MBA thx for putting this post up it would be nice to hear from ppl currently in the program.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Looked into and spoke to advisers for MSW/ JD in Canada. ( Personal experience).

-For me it came down to cost and time , the benefits of the masters needs to outweigh certain factors ( job market vs cost vs time vs value of the type of masters degree itself) .

If you have the time and money it wouldn't be bad thing to consider ; many people decide law isn't for them after finishing law school/ becoming a lawyer and the second degree would come into handy then- It all depends on what your career pathway is like.

I also asked for stats on the program ( less people apply in general , but they don't take that many people so it is still very competitive)

• MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
    123 karma

@teamteamvicster Yes, I'm interested to find out how people prepare for the application of the second degree. As far as getting into law school, its pretty straight forward: practice (with 7sage) for the LSAT and get all the other components (personal, letters etc.) together and apply. My grades from undergrad are what they are and I work in a law firm, taking the LSAT is basically the only area of focus for me at this point. But I'm wondering if anyone focuses on building up their softs for a separate application, if the masters program doesn't care about your LSAT score then should I put more energy into working in the field that I want to major in (Policy)?