Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lr gains ?

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member

Reaching out to see what some general techniques are for lr (for someone that br, drills question types and has gone through the cc but is not seeing large gains ).

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

Is there a certain type you are struggling with? Also are your BR scores higher than your first round- is it timing or understanding that’s the problem? Knowing this information could help you reorientate your approach. Also gonna throw @BinghamtonDave in this as he has some great LR techniques.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    Is there a certain type you are struggling with? Also are your BR scores higher than your first round- is it timing or understanding that’s the problem? Knowing this information could help you reorientate your approach. Also gonna throw @BinghamtonDave in this as he has some great LR techniques.

Parallel the flaw type questions, assumption based seemed to be a trend ... br was higher by a few points then timed

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

Parallel the flaw type questions, assumption based seemed to be a trend ... br was higher by a few points then timed

Hmm maybe you're struggling with understanding the nature of support? So for example, assumptions generally point out weaknesses or gaps in the support between premise and conclusion. More difficult questions generally make these gaps subtle and that's what makes them more difficult. It could be the case for parallel flaw, especially if they're not common types.

Is there a specific question perhaps that you struggled with? Perhaps if we tackled it together, it might be easier to pinpoint your weaknesses.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@keets993 said:

Hmm maybe you're struggling with understanding the nature of support? So for example, assumptions generally point out weaknesses or gaps in the support between premise and conclusion. More difficult questions generally make these gaps subtle and that's what makes them more difficult. It could be the case for parallel flaw, especially if they're not common types.

Is there a specific question perhaps that you struggled with? Perhaps if we tackled it together, it might be easier to pinpoint your weaknesses.

Yeah I thought so too but I drilled/ reviewed the cc section that talks about premise / conclusion / support many times . Every time I’ve been going through the cc I’ve been taking notes as well. I’ll probably have to keep reviewing until it comes second nature to notice these things so that I don’t crack under timed pressure . Thanks for the feedback everyone

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

So at a certain point, revisiting the cc might become repetitive and you may no longer be yielding any results. Is it a trend you spot in br as well or just during timed conditions?

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Can you describe your strategy for parallel flaw questions? Assumption questions can be tricky to diagnosis, but parallel flaw questions can be fairly cookie cutter, and one you have a good strategy, they are far more manageable.

I have a couple specific strategies that I employ for parallel flaw, depending on the nature of the stimulus.