Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice On How to Continue

RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member

Hi guys, I'm just about done with the Core Curriculum (93%), and will be finishing it within the next few days. I am planning on taking the September LSAT, but I wanted to get some opinions. do you think after finishing the CC I should immediately take a diagnostic to see where I stand, or should I continue with the LR and LG drills assigned after the CC then go ahead and start taking tests? My goal is to just continue to take tests and strengthen my skills from now till September. I feel I understood LG and RC really well and did well on the problem sets, but the thing I struggled with the most was LR, and I obviously want to improve my speed and timing overall.
Thanks for your advice

Comments

• Wait whatWait what Alum Member
    edited July 2018 244 karma

@RunawayJury said:
    Hi guys, I'm just about done with the Core Curriculum (93%), and will be finishing it within the next few days. I am planning on taking the September LSAT, but I wanted to get some opinions. do you think after finishing the CC I should immediately take a diagnostic to see where I stand, or should I continue with the LR and LG drills assigned after the CC then go ahead and start taking tests? My goal is to just continue to take tests and strengthen my skills from now till September. I feel I understood LG and RC really well and did well on the problem sets, but the thing I struggled with the most was LR, and I obviously want to improve my speed and timing overall.
    Thanks for your advice

I am currently in the same position. I finished the CC for LR and LG about two weeks ago and I still have not taken a PT. I thought it would be a good idea to do question specific drills/games and timed LR/games sections to track progress. The idea was to get to a point where I was BR-ing near my target for both LG and LR when doing timed sections. If you know where your weak it might be worth it to drill those specific question/game types first before you take a pt. I think the thing to remember is PTs are used to test what you know. The improvement comes when your are drilling.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

the general consensus is to foolproof LG which can take a month or so I personally took a PT right after I finished with the CC

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Congrats on finishing the cc! I highly suggest you watch this webinar video: https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

It'll give you some ideas on how to study, and how to know when you're ready to move into different phases of studying. There are different types of drills and things to try between PTs.

If you want to do a diagnostic post-cc, that's up to you. A lot of people don't show a lot of improvement right away. I think my first PT after the cc was only maybe 3 or 4 points higher than my diagnostic. It sometimes takes a little while to translate into improvement on a PT.

General advice is only to do a PT once a week, with a thorough BR. In between, do drills, practice by question type, and individual timed sections with BR.

Good luck!

• RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member
    143 karma

Thanks for the advice appreciated guys!