Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Practice

alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
in Logic Games 715 karma

So I am looking for some guidance on the hard Logic Games I should practice. This section is by far my strongest section. The past couple of PTs I have scored my worst -3 and best -0. Because of this I have really backed away from working on LG so I can focus on LR and RC. I am concerned though that if I don't practice some then I will end up with a game I am not familiar with in September. Does anyone have a list of some of the hardest games that I can use to practice? I had some notes on advice someone gave on another post that said to practice PT27G2, PT29G2, PT33G3, PT79G4, and PT70G3.

I wouldn't say I have mastered them by any means but I actually genuinely enjoy doing them and have done very well after going through the CC and some fool-proofing. If only I could say the same about LR and RC.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2018 10774 karma

I see that you have ultimate +, you can use 7sage question bank to sort LG by difficulty.

Also, the solution to the problem depends on why you are losing points. If it's silly mistakes, then working on having a strong LG form would help. If its the weird games that's causing you to miss questions, then its realizing that the approach to weird games is not by trying to go -0 but by trying to chip away at it question by question. It's also being okay with missing some questions on LG because its a weird game -the curve accounts for that difficulty. If its a particular game type, then you may need to fool proof that game type again.

• alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
    715 karma

@Sami said:
    I see that you have ultimate +, you can use 7sage question bank to sort LG by difficulty.

Also, the solution to the problem depends on why you are losing points. If it's silly mistakes, then working on having a strong LG form would help. If its the weird games that's causing you to miss questions, then its realizing that the approach to weird games is not by trying to go -0 but by trying to chip away at it question by question. It's also being okay with missing some questions on LG because its a weird game -the curve accounts for that difficulty. If its a particular game type, then you may need to fool proof that game type again.

Thanks for your response. I’m sorry I meant I’m looking for the weird games to practice. I’ve heard about a Dino game and some other games. I just want to get in practice on the weird and harder games people have run across.

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

@alyhobbs said:
    So I am looking for some guidance on the hard Logic Games I should practice. This section is by far my strongest section. The past couple of PTs I have scored my worst -3 and best -0. Because of this I have really backed away from working on LG so I can focus on LR and RC. I am concerned though that if I don't practice some then I will end up with a game I am not familiar with in September. Does anyone have a list of some of the hardest games that I can use to practice? I had some notes on advice someone gave on another post that said to practice PT27G2, PT29G2, PT33G3, PT79G4, and PT70G3.

I wouldn't say I have mastered them by any means but I actually genuinely enjoy doing them and have done very well after going through the CC and some fool-proofing. If only I could say the same about LR and RC.

Have you checked out the games from PTs 1-15? I'm pretty the last games in all of those sets were really weird.

715 karma

@s_jricke said:

@alyhobbs said:

Have you checked out the games from PTs 1-15? I'm pretty the last games in all of those sets were really weird.

Yes I have. I actually have more experience with the earlier games than I do the newer PTs so it's possible they are weirder than the newer ones. The ones I had difficulty with I remember JY saying they don't make games like them anymore so that was refreshing. I do need to finish fool-proofing but would like to focus mostly on the harder games so I know I have those nailed down.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I just did PT31 Game2. JY says target time is somewhere between "12 minutes to 12 hours", lol. Ok, maybe not 12 hours but it was damn hard. Would love to know what you think of it.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@LCMama2017 I actually love that game. The jazz store right?

2134 karma

@keets993 yes! Well, bless your heart girl! It's 10:30 and I'm still trying to figure out if chaining, half-chaining or diagrams works better. I'm finally understanding the right answers but I just need to do it quicker to get this game down to a decent 12 minutes.

6045 karma

@LCMama2017 I think it depends on whatever is easier for you to read. If you think not chaining something will make you forget about the rule then maybe put it on the master chain. However, if you think that a super long master chain will just confuse you then keep things separate (or go back to curriculum if you need to). That game really tests your fluency and efficiency with conditional chains. What exactly "neither nor" entails; what to do when you have a lot of conditionals. But once you master it you'll feel like a pro at conditionals, you got this :wink:

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I would definitely go to the question bank and practice all of the Misc questions! They are all relatively weird and difficult.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

Thanks for your response. I’m sorry I meant I’m looking for the weird games to practice. I’ve heard about a Dino game and some other games. I just want to get in practice on the weird and harder games people have run across.

The Dinosaur game is PT 57 Game 3. I use it to warm up before doing games because it is a great illustration of how important sticking to your fundamentals through uncertainty is.

10774 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    @keets993 yes! Well, bless your heart girl! It's 10:30 and I'm still trying to figure out if chaining, half-chaining or diagrams works better. I'm finally understanding the right answers but I just need to do it quicker to get this game down to a decent 12 minutes.

So definitely remember how we talked about trying to determine what the best representation of rule is: on the side written down, on master game board, or as a split.

Hint: If a rule or player is causing a lot of things to happen see if you can represent it as a split. (This game will become super easy probably 8 minute time.)

10774 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I would definitely go to the question bank and practice all of the Misc questions! They are all relatively weird and difficult.

Second this :).

715 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    I just did PT31 Game2. JY says target time is somewhere between "12 minutes to 12 hours", lol. Ok, maybe not 12 hours but it was damn hard. Would love to know what you think of it.

So as soon as I saw this one I went back to my CC notes. The first time I did this during CC it took me 32 minutes. So I immediately grabbed my print outs and went to work. I don't think it was a good idea to do this at 10:30 at night when I should have been in bed (I wake up at 6 for work). Lol I fell asleep with my pencil in my hand trying to solve it. Thank you for bringing me back to it because I knew there would be some that would point out a weakness I have in LG.

I definitely agree with @keets993 "That game really tests your fluency and efficiency with conditional chains." You have to split up the boards and work on inferences in the beginning. I will be mastering this very soon. Challenge accepted lol. Don't fret that it's hard. These are the ones that make the easier ones even easier.

715 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:

I will do that. Thank you :smile:

2134 karma

@keets993 thank you. Yeah, I agree - I think its a good game to go over skills. I was very close to ditching it the first time I did it but I can't help but to go back to it. It keeps calling my name, lol.

@Sami thanks girl. I did forget that bit and appreciate the reminder :smile: 8 minutes, really?

@alyhobbs how did you do? I split up the game into three boards but then found myself going back to the conditional statements because I didn't trust my boards, lol. Still getting -2 at nearly 15 mins.

You gals are great - thank you for all your advice :blush:

10774 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@Sami thanks girl. I did forget that bit and appreciate the reminder :smile: 8 minutes, really?

Yeah :). Feel free to send a picture of what you ended up doing for that game :).

715 karma

@alyhobbs how did you do? I split up the game into three boards but then found myself going back to the conditional statements because I didn't trust my boards, lol. Still getting -2 at nearly 15 mins.

You gals are great - thank you for all your advice :blush:

After watching JYs video and doing it a few times I realized creating the boards actually set me back in time. The questions can all be answered by just looking at the lawgic and knowing when something is sufficient for one thing and necessary for another. Also being able to see a contrapositive in my head is helping. I am down to 16 min with -0. Although I am not sure what my timing should be because I have ADD and with this many conditionals it is hard to keep up and not lose focus. The most frustrating thing is working on a question and lose my focus and start working on another question before I have finished the one I am on. I was recently granted additional time accommodations so I try to get as close to JYs time I can but I know it won't be the same.

One thing I have found personally and I have also seen other people say is to worry less about the time and more about getting the questions correct. So if it takes you 30 more seconds to get -0 then you can start there at -0 and work your time down. Either way I know you will get it in no time :smile:

6045 karma

One thing I have found personally and I have also seen other people say is to worry less about the time and more about getting the questions correct. So if it takes you 30 more seconds to get -0 then you can start there at -0 and work your time down.

100%. Same goes for LR and RC. Timing is good and important but it's so much better to miss one or two because you're taking longer than doing every question but with an accuracy of 70% because of all the rushing.

Also I just wanted to add that the target time for each game is also based on the other games in that section. Don't lose sight of that. You might take a minute more on one game but be 3 minutes under the target time for another. So always keep that in mind when you PT or do a section. If someone's really good at in/out games and always under target time by a bit (and with good accuracy) then it's okay to give yourself the permission to take that extra time on a sequencing game or whatever.

6045 karma

@alyhobbs have you tried the circle games?

715 karma

@keets993 said:
    @alyhobbs have you tried the circle games?

I have done a few during fool proofing but not many. Do you know any specific ones I should work on?

• willis91willis91 Alum Member
    101 karma

just did 72 game 4 last night and it's super weird!

6045 karma

@alyhobbs I think there's a list floating around somewhere about them if you google.

Here's some of the toughest I've come across for varying reasons: PT27, S2, Game 2; PT24, Game 3; PT14, Game 3.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

i don't know which PT it's from, but the most sadistic game i've come across is the one about the raw workpieces.

715 karma

@"Lucas Carter" said:

The Dinosaur game is PT 57 Game 3. I use it to warm up before doing games because it is a great illustration of how important sticking to your fundamentals through uncertainty is.

Thank you!

715 karma

@katewillis91 said:
    just did 72 game 4 last night and it's super weird!

Thank you I will check this one out.

715 karma

@keets993 said:
    @alyhobbs I think there's a list floating around somewhere about them if you google.

Here's some of the toughest I've come across for varying reasons: PT27, S2, Game 2; PT24, Game 3; PT14, Game 3.

Thank you! I think I have done a few of these but I will go back and review them.