Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Prep Advice

joseph.brydenjoseph.bryden Member
edited August 2018 in General 98 karma

Wow, my plate is full. I am working 20 hours a week (Leaving full time for school next week) (Mon-Fri), President of my fraternity, getting married in January, taking 15 credits this semester for my Finance degree (I am a senior), oh, and I need to study for the LSAT as well. I took the test with minor prep in June and got a 151. I need a 157 for a full ride at the two schools I am looking at. My employer refuses to let me study at work, therefore all my school prep occupies weeknights. How am I supposed to find the time and dedication to the LSAT!? I am scheduled to take the test in Sep, but think I am going to change to November. My question is, is quitting my job a crazy decision? I have been here three years. I can only work up until May anyways due to me being a student in this student position (pays well, I work for DOJ). I have to make a tough cut, and this seems as the only option. Is it worth it? I will get a full ride if I get to the 156-157 range.

In response to post
  1. Quitting job to insure better studying worth it?10 votes
    1. Hell yes
      80.00%
    2. No, make that money
      20.00%

Comments

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    661 karma

Depending on how you currently are doing on games, I would say that the easiest way to make that jump is full proofing games, so that you are near perfect on them. If I were you and I was trying to apply this fall, this is what I would do.
    1. Study games a heck ton and take the September exam.
    2. In the 2 months you have before the November exam, I would solidify the Games and really strive to make gains on LR.

My reasoning behind taking the September exam is that you really don’t have much to lose since you already took the exam once. Also, I recommend focusing on games for the September especially b/c you say your time is limited.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Have you thought about taking a gap year before going to law school?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma
    1. Can you survive without the income from the job?

2. If yes to number 1 (meaning you’ll be able to quit and still make ends meet): ten years from now, would you rather have a higher LSAT/less law school debt or more time/experience in the job you currently have?

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

ok.. check it out, i work full time, 40-45 hours a week commute an hour, i have a 7 month old ( Sammy) , and study for the lsat, i wake up at 430 AM do a 30 min work out to get the blood going, drink my keto coffee, and study from 5-7 leave for work at 720 get to work at around 830 do games for 20 min, do games again at lunch for 30, leave work at 450 to get the 510 train im home with Sammy by 610, play with him for an hour or so, help the wife cook dinner, we take turns putting him to be the nights that she puts him to bed I do reading comp for an hour and usually in bed by 10. Now.... on the weekends is where shit gets real.... UBEREATS my friend ! I do ubereats on the weekends to save money for lsat, courses, prep material, law school etc. I bring a small notebook and my phone I want the videos and take notes in between deliveries, and usually make around 300$ on fri and sat.. Sundays its Church, Sammy, wife and a PT. so usually a week with full time job I get around 20-25 hours of study. seriously depending on how much you're making quit your job, start uber or ubereats, you make your own schedule, so basically if you need money you work, if you don't... you study.

• joseph.brydenjoseph.bryden Member
    98 karma

Wow, impressive to say the least. I can survive, but for how long is the question. The future wife is looking for a good job in her field, because her current medical jobs are not set in stone schedules. I will look into UBER, that is smart! Sounds like I should also take advantage of extra time like you do.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@"joseph.bryden" said:
    Wow, impressive to say the least. I can survive, but for how long is the question. The future wife is looking for a good job in her field, because her current medical jobs are not set in stone schedules. I will look into UBER, that is smart! Sounds like I should also take advantage of extra time like you do.

see, I did 7 years in the army, so i'm not as young as you guys I'm 33, so my mentality is I need to hustle harder to get where I want now, so I take every minute into account, granted I do great at 430 AM, its not for everyone, but the Uber things is a good idea, look into it. Keep us posted

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

If you can manage without the money and benefits (if there are any), or work around it.. I say go for it. If not, then don't hurt yourself. You can always go next year.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@theLSATdreamer that is so impressive. Best of luck to you on your studying!

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

Just echoing the great advice already mentioned. Worst case scenario is that you don't get the score you want and decide to retake. Then you may be looking at a gap year and a full-time job. I don't blame your employer for wanting you to be 100% mentally present at work; I think when you graduate and have to work a full-time job (plus maybe a second like I do to tuck away tuition money), this will definitely be the norm. It really just gets harder finding that balance from here. Not that it's impossible. Many of us have children, work full-time jobs and find a way to carve out time to study.

I think you are in a good position to take the time you need and boost your score to get scholarship money. In the long-run, being debt free is more important. If you need to take time off of work to do so, then do what you need to do.