Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meditation! Seriously! Do it!

ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
edited November 2014 in General 3658 karma

Comments

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    This dude is a really great speaker. Basically persuaded me to meditate lol.
  • shadow16shadow16 Member
    227 karma
    Love meditation! I think the reason why I hardly ever get anxious is because I meditate every single day. It's amazing for the soul & the mind, not just for the psychological benefits but the actual neuroplasticity benefits
  • fiji12345678fiji12345678 Member
    108 karma
    He convinced me too. He really is a good speaker.
  • sodeyemi220sodeyemi220 Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    I cannot say enough good things about meditation, I recommend it for anyone it is amazing.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    oh my God. #persuaded. Getting on meditating right now.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2014 3658 karma
    Make it a part of your day-to-day! 15 minutes is all it takes right after you wake up each morning! It definitely sets the pace of your day. Even for 5-10 minutes before you take a PT will do wonders. I'm glad everyone enjoyed it!
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    Taking such a small amount of time out of your day can make such a significant, long term difference. I must let go of that absurd excuse, "I don't have time to meditate!" Thanks for posting!
  • edgaredgar Free Trial Member
    44 karma
    Hey guys! Just wanted to say how amazing this site and the growing community are. It's difficult to maintain personal relationships when you're spending so much time studying for this test while still gambling with work and school. It's definitely nice to read the experiences of others and seeing how everyone overcomes various obstacles.

As for meditation, I looked into this a couple months ago and found a great handbook on vipassana meditation online. It's a short read that will get you on a path to proper meditation. I'm not sure if I can legally post the direct link on these forums (don't want to get myself or the amazing JY into any trouble), but the name of the book is "Mindfulness in Plain English". It's structured a bit like a handbook rather than a philosophy behind meditation.

I've been doing it for a couple months now and I think the most amazing thing about meditation is that your self awareness just sky rockets. I'll be doing a reading comp section and suddenly I realize I'm not paying attention to the text, but rather thinking what's for dinner. That realization becomes more evident and consistent as time goes on. I catch my mind drifting so much! Meditation has definitely helped making me realize it.

I definitely recommend you guys read the book. Let me know what you guys think! :)
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Haha Edgar, I can relate about the mind drifting to wandering thoughts during reading comp.
  • pjanderson5pjanderson5 Free Trial Member
    238 karma
    ATTENTION EVERYONE: Download calm.com app! It's free and has anywhere from 5-30 minute guided meditation sessions! It really helps relax me before studying!
  • fiji12345678fiji12345678 Member
    108 karma
    Thanks for letting us know about "calm.com!" I tried it, and it is great!
  • Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    edited November 2014 1332 karma
    That was a great video! I just tried an intro meditation course a few weeks ago and definitely enjoyed it. If anyone is NYC and wants to try a class together and then maybe study afterwards let me know. The studio is called NY Meditation Center on West 27th Street in Mahattan (classes are by donation).
    edited November 2014 3658 karma
    It's really great for training in terms of focus. Meditation teaches how to focus on the particular task at hand. It's such a crucial and foundational element needed for LSAT prep in my view. I only wish I did it a lot sooner.
  • craig_yuancraig_yuan Alum Member
    33 karma
    can someone enlighten me with simple instruction regarding how to perform meditation?
    edited December 2014 3658 karma
    Yeah absolutely.

1) Find a quiet area with little-to-no ambient noise.
    2) I usually like to sit cross-legged on the floor. Some like to sit in a chair or something with back support. However, I find that too comfortable. I think it's best that you're a little uncomfortable, otherwise, you might be tempted to take a nap.
    3) Listen to your breath going in and out of your lungs. Feel the pressure and weight of your body.
    4) Try to focus on nothing. I like to imagine a complete black void. Your mind will naturally wander but that's fine. When you realize that happening, re-focus back to nothingness.
    5) Start off small and grow incrementally. 5 minutes is a great starting point.
  • craig_yuancraig_yuan Alum Member
    33 karma
    ^^Appreciate, gonna start it today, never too late:)
    3658 karma
    Yessir!
  • ddromneyddromney Alum Member
    24 karma
    That science is awesome. Will start meditating more. I also have to say that prayer is a great way to meditate and the two go well together. Prayer helped me a ton on my previous LSAT.
    3658 karma
    Bump! Stay balanced, happy, and focused people! :)
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited March 2015 12637 karma
    @rachelHaw This might help!

Al also posted a short description on how to do it if you scroll up.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I used to Meditate (I used a website and app called Meditation Oasis) and it was very helpful. Some days its easier than other days. But I need to try to meditate more frequently.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    So necessary!
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    @rachelHaw, one big part of meditating is realizing that there isn't a "right" way to do it. Just sit, focus on your breath (or whatever else you're trying to focus on), and notice your thoughts/feelings without engaging them. Don't get discouraged if your attention wanders -- just notice, and return your attention to your breath. Remember, it's a practice. No one reaches Buddhist monk level zen overnight!
  • Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    has anyone noticed meditation having an effect on their ability to focus on the LSAT for longer periods of time or even seeing an increase score-wise?
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    @"Alex Short" I have ADD and I have found that meditating has helped me immensely. I meditate right before a study session or a PT and it increases my attention span and concentration.
    3658 karma
    For the new 7sagers. Check out the link.
    3462 karma
    I never think I'm doing it right -_-
    3658 karma
    @emli1000 Lol. How are you doing it?
    edited July 2015 3462 karma
    I closed my eyes to relax lmao but then I got bored... So I gave up trying to figure this out.
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    167 karma
    Wow, this guy gave a really convincing speech about meditation. I thought I would post a comment to bump this thread back into awareness so more people see it. I think this is profound not only for training your mind for the LSAT, but for life in general.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    So just to play devil's advocate, what are these studies he's citing? Did they really conclude what he's leading us to believe they concluded or did they just suggest a correlation? Exaggerating the results of scientific studies and then drawing unwarranted conclusions from those exaggerations is pretty run of the mill at this point, so I always take these types of arguments with heavy skepticism. Given all true premises, his argument is indeed very convincing. If those studies don't say what he suggests they say though, his argument is severely weakened if not completely destroyed; and I very much expect that these studies present much more tenuous, preliminary results than we are led to believe.

Of course, disproving this particular argument would say very little about the merits of meditation. I'm staying totally neutral on that. I'm only saying that, while very well presented, the strength of this argument very much relies on the actual nature of the results of these studies; and these results are almost certainly nowhere near strong enough to support the conclusion. These studies would be famous if their conclusions were that strong.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I love that you brought all of our training to your post! So much fun to see it in use. It gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for the moment of levity!
  • ektaborkar11ektaborkar11 Free Trial Member
    1 karma

got very helpful information about Meditation