Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

U Penn Law

CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
in General 1270 karma

Any thoughts on this school? It's obviously a amazing often clocking in at #7 in the USNWR rankings. I decided to apply here. I lived in NY for 11 years, and never met a person who went there. I half jokingly thought U Penn Law didn't exist, until a month ago when I had my first encounter with a real life U Penn recent graduate. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I know a few UPenn law graduates. They all work in huge law firms. It's a great school especially if you want to end up in a biglaw job.

• gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
    126 karma

Penn is an excellent school with a very strong reputation nationwide. (I also love Philly, so it has that going for it too.)

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Philly is awesome especially if you're at all into history! I would recommend a visit to UPenn

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited October 2018 893 karma

Penn Law is widely known for it's interdisciplinary focus. Lots of kids do dual degree and lots of kids do certificate programs in addition to their law degree. It is a pretty friendly place, not terribly cutthroat as far as top programs go. Kids hang around campus to do stuff and don't just split for home right after class.

Parking is a problem in West Philly, which is gentrifying but there is still crime around, especially after dark. Philly has the highest percentage of people living under the poverty line of any big city and it is not the cleanest city in the world. Good pro and college sports scene, and very very good restaurant scene (White Dog Cafe is right across the street from the law school) for both high end and more casual dining.

Ambient air quality is 15th worst in the nation, but it is close to the Jersey shore if that appeals. Also, easy walk to 30th St station to hop onto train to NYC. And, those of us who live in Philly are desperately hoping Amazon HQ2 goes someplace else!!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

It’s super gay friendly apparently which I was surprised/happy to discover. The city and the school itself are considered one of the most lgbtq friendly in the nation. I’m not sure why I assumed it was a more conservative school.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I hope they can help you get in contact with some current students.