Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decisions decisions

HouseStark07HouseStark07 Member
edited November 2018 in November 2018 LSAT 29 karma

Hey everybody, I'm trying to decide on what I should do in regards to the next LSAT:

I'm registered to take the November 17th test, but as of right now, I'm not happy with where I am scoring. I've gotten better at LR, but worse at RC at least on my practice exam that I took today.

The 7sage program is helping a lot, but I'm nervous I'm not going to do as well as I want on this upcoming exam. I have already taken it once and was unhappy with my score, so I obviously have to improve. I am debating whether I should wait and take the January 26th test, but I'm worried that it may be cutting it a bit close to application deadlines (most schools I am looking to apply to have a March 15th application deadline.)

If anyone has any advice as to what I should do, that would be great!

Thank you

Comments

• turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited November 2018 770 karma

take it. its a live, in-person preptest for January :)

• hisgreenhisgreen Alum Member
    8 karma

you already have a score, so why take the exam if you know you can't score better? if i were you, I would take the jan test.

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

All depends on your score that you have previously and what you are PTing at now. What tier of schools are you shooting for?

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

What is your goal score and what is your avg PT score from the past 5 PTs? What are your average scores for each section?

• HouseStark07HouseStark07 Member
    29 karma

My goal is a 165 score, and right now my average pt score is 159-160. My worst section over all is logic games, I'm improving but I still am feeling very rushed throughout that entire section.

edited November 2018 5320 karma

@agasich07 My advice, then, is to not take November. LG is the most improvable section. With continued practice, you've got a very good shot at reaching that 165 but it's highly unlikely that you will next week.

There are unlimited takes but you should only take the test when you're ready. There's a few reasons for that:

1) The "test day penalty" is real. Many folks underperform on test day (myself included). Taking the test before you're ready can easily lead to 4+ takes in order to reach a goal score. You already have one test on the books, it's unlikely you reach 165 next week, and even if you are ready for January, there's a good chance you need 2 more takes to hit that 165. This may not be true for you, but it seems to be true for most.

2) Why spend money to find out what you already know? (That you're not ready).

3) An applicant with a 165 and only one take is likely more attractive to adcoms than a candidate with four takes and a 165 all else equal. Less takes is generally better.

4) Taking the test when you're ready is a great way to reduce test day nerves and thereby increase your chances of scoring your avg on test day.

If you're not opposed to postponing a cycle, you might consider investing several months into LG and learning a timing strategy for all sections. It's entirely possible that you can get to 165+ by next cycle. That opens doors to better schools and/or more scholarships. You'd also be able to apply early in the cycle.

Best of luck.

• HouseStark07HouseStark07 Member
    29 karma

@NotMyName Thank you so much, this is great advice and I am going to take it!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited November 2018 2689 karma

It's already paid for... might as well see how it really is. You can always cancel if you really feel like you bombed it. And while an adcom might choose someone who took the test once and got a 165 vs your hypothetical 3 or 4 tries to get a 165, I would think that it would be unlikely short of your apps being identical in nearly every way, and that being the decisive tie-splitting factor. I can't imagine anyone turning away a 165+ just because it took a couple tries.
    Good luck!!!

edited November 2018 5320 karma

@agasich07 No problem! Delaying is a difficult decision to make but you have to do what is best for yourself.

P.S.

5) It's disclosed which mean's you'll have access to it in 7Sage in 5 weeks. You're not missing out on a PT by skipping. If you sit for it and cancel, you won't get to BR. You won't get a copy of your test so you'll have to take it again when 7Sage publishes it and BR that but it won't be fresh by then so the fruits of BR are reduced because you don't know what you actually missed when you took it fresh.

EDIT: Added the bit about cancelling/BR.