Marks/Circles on Scan Sheet

Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
edited December 2014 in General 1049 karma
Hi All -

I've always been paranoid about making any marks on the LSAT scan sheet but since they essentially give us a photo of the sheet and we have hand score options, I think it may be ok.

I want to do the following things, please let me know if you think it's fine:

1) Circle question numbers on the bubble sheet for questions I'm unsure of are are skipping (I do it in the text book, but this may be useful in some cases).

2) Maybe vertically bracket groups of bubbles ie by passage so it's easier to see if I bubbled correctly

3) Not bubble in crazy heavy - just enough in order to save time (since we have hand scoring and a photo of actual score sheet to check).

Thoughts?

Comments

• turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited December 2014 770 karma
    are you having bubbling issues?

this is a blanket answer (please forgive me, I'm still recovering from the LSAT this morning haha), but I think it would be in your best interest to keep stray marks in the test booklet!

you can have it hand scored, but that may delay your scores, and if you circle it in the answer sheet and go back to review it, you'll still have to look at the book anyway. It takes times to re-fill in bubbles.

If you're having bubbling issues, I suggest getting used to filling in the answers totally and completely one time, and changing them if you come back to them. This will save you time - time you can spend answering questions. and you also don't want a hand scorer to be unsure of which answers you marked. even with hand scoring, they don't look at the test booklet, do they? you want to be as clear as possible the first time around.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    you wanna make sure you bubble for your PT's especially getting close to game day to make sure ur used to losing that little extra time
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    I would avoid making any additional marks on the scantron. Even with the option of hand scoring, I think it's too risky. If you've had issues with bubbling correctly, take a second after each passage/game/page to go through and ensure that everything is correct. Another option is to bubble one at a time. Any extra marks you make will be just as time consuming as being careful when bubbling.
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    259 karma
    Quick Silver - a method that works well for me is to answer all the questions on a two page spread,and before turning the page, fill in the answers for all of them. I look at the q number, look at the circled answer, look at the number on the scantron, then bubble the appropriate answer. Repeat. if you practice this you get faster and it gets easier.

On a side not, I definitely had circles and check marks in the space between columns on yesterdays test. I was too hyped up on section 5 to erase them at the end. Then when I realized they were there, I didn't want proctor thinking I was still working. I asked her if I could erase, a loud "NO." was the response.

Anyone have any input on the consequences of marks outside the answer columns?
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    edited December 2014 135 karma
    @madeleine definitely contact LSAC about hand scoring. It's only like $10 and definitely worth it. A scantron reader will pick up any mark and it could affect your score.

Edit: It's actually $45. More info here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/handscoring
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    @madeleine that's terrible D: can you still request to have it hand scored??

Since it's automatic, the scantron may be unable to decipher between marks and just say the question is wrong.