Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR score is lower than expected... tips to improve?

naveedhalavinaveedhalavi Alum Member
edited December 2014 in Logical Reasoning 124 karma
Hey guys,

So after going through various timed sections of LR i'm noticing that i'm not getting to every question but even when i do BR i'm only getting like 20/25 alot of the times. I'm wondering besides reviewing explanations for that question, is there a way to increase accuracy on LR? I've read on the forum that doing drills works, i have sets of extra practice problems that are grouped by the question types, so i can use those. I'm just wondering, how much questions should I be doing when drilling? Should I be timing it?

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    for BR try writing out why each thing is what it is, you picked A... why? why not BCDE? dont just understand the right answer and move on bc there are often great trap answers that you think you understand why its right but you have no idea.
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited December 2014 770 karma
    A typical LR problem set on 7sage gives you 10 questions from a specific category of LR. You have 15 minutes to do the section. After 15 minutes, do your Blind Review. Then check the answers. This is a pretty good way to test yourself (on a smaller scale) and still have some limitations on time.
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    I agree with @jdawg. I usually circle a couple words that make the question incorrect or if I'm really struggling between two answers I'll write out a short sentence as to why I think it's right/wrong.
  • naveedhalavinaveedhalavi Alum Member
    124 karma
    I've been doing that after the fact on the ones that i'm getting wrong post BR by putting them in a journal, but i think thats an even better idea. I'll write sentences for the 2-3 answer choices stating why i believe its right/wrong. Thanks Guys.

Also thanks for the timing estimate turnercm, i don't have a 7sage account so i wasn't sure. I just finished up Blueprint, so i'm using the extra practice problem sets that they use and they don't specify timing for them.
    124 karma
    The main pattern i'm noticing isn't necessarily an inability to do the specific question type but more a failure to break down and understand the arguments...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    What I do is always underline a sentence or circle a word that threw me off in the answer choices and made me not pick them. That way during blind review step 2 I know exactly why I didn't pick some answers and can tell if I made a mistake or not
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    If you're having problems understanding the arguments, you might even go back over all of the LR questions that you've done to date and work on identifying the premise and conclusions. Until you can do so consistently, drilling LR isn't necessarily going to help you improve your accuracy.
    124 karma
    Is it okay if you take a full prep test one day and BR it the next? The reason i'm asking is because i just finished taking a full 5 section prep test and i just BR-ed 2 sections and i'm going through the 3rd but i can't think straight... would it be super detrimental if i put off BR-ing until tomorrow?
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    @naveedhalavi Yeah, BRing the next day is fine. I usually give myself a few hours after I PT to do nothing LSAT-related and then go into the PT later that day and into the next day. I rarely PT and BR in one full day. I think coming at it with a fresh mind is helpful.
    124 karma
    Awesome, i ended up just taking a break for an hour or two and finishing it up anyway. Today was the first time i saw a 170 in BR so i'm definitely improving my accuracy =)... my goal is to get to 175+ in my BR score and then just continue taking PTs, hammering more on timing until the february test.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    awesome, keep it up