165 on July exam with only taking 1 PT -- cancel & retake in October?

kats_gillkats_gill Member
in General 8 karma

Hi all,

I started studying for the LSAT in May and decided to sign up for the July exam because I knew I could see my score and cancel it and retake for free in October, thinking I wanted a solid 5 months of studying. By July, I got through around 65% of the 7Sage Core Curriculum, but only ended up taking 1 PT (scored 160) before taking the exam in July. I just got my score back yesterday and was extremely surprised to see I scored a 165 (I expected either high 150s or low 160s). My original target score was a 168 and my dream schools were Duke and Berkeley. Here is my dilemma:

I'm apprehensive about starting to hardcore study again to take the exam in October. I'm just started my senior year as a full-time student and am also working part-time at a law firm for 15 hours/week. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to dedicate to LSAT studying while maintaining my GPA. I'm kicking myself for not taking more PTs before taking the July exam -- I keep wondering if I could have scored higher if I had. I know it is frowned upon by many schools if you retake the exam to just go up a few points, so I'm thinking my options are either: 1) cancel the 165 and retake aiming for 168-170 and apply in December/January; or 2) keep the 165, focus on applications and apply earlier in October.

Background info: I'm an undergraduate senior at UNC Chapel Hill with a 3.85 GPA.

Any opinions/advice/reassurance would be appreciated! Thanks and good luck with your studies & applications :)

Help Me
  1. What should I do?29 votes
    1. 1) cancel the 165 and retake aiming for 168-170 and apply in December/January
      24.14%
    2. 2) keep the 165, focus on applications and apply earlier in October
      75.86%

Comments

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

Keep the 165 and apply or keep and retake just don’t cancel that score.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited August 2019 737 karma

@Peaceofmind said:
    Keep the 165 and apply or keep and retake just don’t cancel that score.

This. I'm in the same awkward position of having a 165 and am keeping it. I hit 'keep' very fast. (:

OP I would aim for November perhaps, given how busy you'll be with school + work. Prioritize your grades, but 1 PT per week + review and some timed sections during the week to stay fresh might be a good approach. Of course, you could apply next year. Law schools aren't going anywhere. But you might as well keep studying and go ahead and get your goal score.

Check out the following thread, though, which was made by someone whose weekly schedule was similar to yours: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/14336/here-was-my-study-schedule-for-my-20-point-increased

• 604wannabealawyer604wannabealawyer Alum Member
    94 karma

keep the 165... lol i would be lucky if i ever got that score.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    264 karma

there's no downside to retake. you definitely can get a higher score. 165 and 170+ can make a huge differences and will save you so much $$$ on law school.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

This is a very good score to keep on record, but do what you think is best.

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    204 karma

I think you keep the score, and retake. I don't know for certain, but I imagine that if you retake and only go up to a 168, that would still do more to help you than the retake would do to hurt you. I think what you want to avoid is a retake where you come out with the same score or a lower one. If your score moves closer to the schools median, it is hard to imagine that not being better overall.