Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC: May LSAT-Flex (April Canceled)

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited May 2020 in General 14017 karma

Announcement from LSAC:

• The April LSAT is canceled
  • Students can take the LSAT from their home computers in late May

More details:

• April LSAT registrants are automatically registered for the online LSAT—"LSAT-Flex"—in late May, but can switch to another date LSAC will release the date of the May LSAT-Flex test by April 17
  • LSAT-Flex is different. It will only include one section of Logical Reasoning instead of two. So three scored sections total (LR, LG, RC + an unscored LSAT Writing section). The test will be scored on the usual 180-point scale, though, with an annotation from LSAC that it's an LSAT-Flex score.
  • Students who were granted accommodations for April will get them for May

LSAC's full announcement.

April 16 Update:

• May LSAT-Flex to be administered the week of May 18
  • Specific date and time to be scheduled individually with LSAC
  • LSAC will email you scheduling instructions
  • Scheduling opens next Wednesday, April 22
  • Score release date expected to be Friday, June 5
  • Deadline to register to take LSAT-Flex extended to 11:59 pm Eastern Time, Friday, April 17

April 23 Update:

• Signups for May LSAT-Flex delayed to Monday, April 27, noon Eastern Time

Comments

• AKWW2020AKWW2020 Member
    edited April 2020 23 karma

Impacts of this will be really interesting, scoring weighting is my biggest question

• Manik PanicManik Panic Core Member
    edited April 2020 111 karma

DAMN. Answers a lot of things. Thanks JY and 7Sage.

• arbarcia97arbarcia97 Core Member
    29 karma

Do we think admissions will treat/ weigh the LSAT-flex scores differently? I’ve heard differing opinions.

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

@arbarcia97 said:
    Do we think admissions will treat/ weigh the LSAT-flex scores differently? I’ve heard differing opinions.

I don't think they will for the most part. LSAC is saying that the FLEX test is able to accurately reflect what a test taker would get on a regular test in their psychometric analysis. Admissions (mostly) care about your LSAT scores as it relates to their medians. I can't imagine it would be a deciding factor.

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    279 karma

@arbarcia97 said:

I emailed Columbia Law Admissions to ask this and they said they will not treat it any differently!

• pbrittnepbrittne Free Trial Member
    edited April 2020 52 karma

Are you able to clarify if there will be 3 sections on the LSAT flex (one LR, one RC, one AR), or 4 sections (one LR, one RC, one AR, one unscored)?

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

@pbrittne said:
    Are you able to clarify if there will be 3 sections on the LSAT flex (one LR, one RC, one AR), or 4 sections (one LR, one RC, one AR, one unscored)? Reading your message it sounds like there will be 4, but looking at the LSAC website it looks like there will be no unscored portion. Thanks!

I also was a little confused by how J.Y. worded it but it's the first one (3 sections: 1 LR, 1 RC, 1 AR). There will be no experimental on the FLEX and the LSAT writing portion is taken separately from the three sections listed above.

• 29 karma

7Sage, #help! are you going to publish an LSAT Flex Prep Test? I suppose we can just make our own using the Problem Sets tool...but I'd love to see what I score on a weighted Flex test :) Thanks!

So can we guess if the LR will be normal difficulty and the RC and the LG? Will one be super hard?

If taken at home, can I drink water?? I require Mark Zuckerberg levels of hydration.
    --water's a bad idea anyways right?
    --I fast and eat at least every 22hrs if not way more (which is pushing it nowadays).
    -Make sure I drink water pre and post exam?

If water is needed,
    Should I make sure the administrator can't see me through my camera? I'll probably hide it.

Can I talk to myself? I write LR and RC faster and more accurately talking to myself.

Actually always talked to myself while studying or doing anything solo that requires concentration. --which is why I wanted accomodations (but didn't finish getting a letter, I ran out of time... and then there was the whole pandemic thing). See I wanted accomodations for writing alone... obviously alone as per the current state of affairs in much of the world.

If it just looks wierd, I'll act normal. I can blend into my environment for a few hours.

• hayate37hayate37 Member
    2 karma

@BojackHorseman said:
    So can we guess if the LR will be normal difficulty and the RC and the LG? Will one be super hard?

If taken at home, can I drink water?? I require Mark Zuckerberg levels of hydration.
    --water's a bad idea anyways right?
    --I fast and eat at least every 22hrs if not way more (which is pushing it nowadays).
    -Make sure I drink water pre and post exam?

If water is needed,
    Should I make sure the administrator can't see me through my camera? I'll probably hide it.

Can I talk to myself? I write LR and RC faster and more accurately talking to myself.

Actually always talked to myself while studying or doing anything solo that requires concentration. --which is why I wanted accomodations (but didn't finish getting a letter, I ran out of time... and then there was the whole pandemic thing). See I wanted accomodations for writing alone... obviously alone as per the current state of affairs in much of the world.

If it just looks wierd, I'll act normal. I can blend into my environment for a few hours.

I relate to you so much. Same stream of consciousness flowing

• sassysydthekidsassysydthekid Core Member
    34 karma

I'm also wondering about being able to talk out loud and really be in conversation with yourself. It seems like we should be allowed to do so but maybe it would be viewed as giving us an unfair advantage?

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

How is this test going to be proctored if you take it from home?

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

So I just got off the LSAC Webinar where they were discussing the LSAT-Flex. They confirmed that the LR section is not weighted any differently than the LR or RC sections. But if that is the case, it is seems like it is simply untrue that a score on the Flex will be representative of a normal LSAT score?

• theravdiariestheravdiaries Member
    26 karma

During today’s LSAC webinar they mentioned that LR will not be weighed more heavily on the LSAT-flex, all questions will be weighed equally.

• Jessica B.Jessica B. Alum Member
    56 karma

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    So I just got off the LSAC Webinar where they were discussing the LSAT-Flex. They confirmed that the LR section is not weighted any differently than the LR or RC sections. But if that is the case, it is seems like it is simply untrue that a score on the Flex will be representative of a normal LSAT score?

@theravdiaries said:
    During today’s LSAC webinar they mentioned that LR will not be weighed more heavily on the LSAT-flex, all questions will be weighed equally.

The Flex just added more weight to Reading Comprehension and Logic Games. If each section is 1/3 of the total score, then that rewards people who are actually good at LG and may be somewhat punitive to those with good LR scores and not LG. Same with RC. So these two sections are going to be equally important.

• fox...11fox...11 Alum Member
    50 karma

any insight on what the outcome of June's LSAT will be? LSAT-Flex or regular LSAT?

Also, I have never taken the LSAT and planned to take it in August or October, should I also take it in June if there is an LSAT-Flex to get a sense of what it would be like with exception of it being a shorter test?

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14017 karma

Update from LSAC, added to OP, copied here.

April 16 Update:

• Deadline to register to take LSAT-Flex extended to 11:59 pm Eastern Time, Friday, April 17
  • Jessica B.Jessica B. Alum Member
    56 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    Update from LSAC, added to OP, copied here.

April 16 Update:

>
    • >
    • >
    • >
    • >
    • >
    • >

At least I'm glad that people are not going to be on the ProctorU website at the same time. That's a plus.

• meeraonthewallsmeeraonthewalls Yearly Member
    26 karma

What are the odds of July and August being Flex?

• leecprleecpr Member
    58 karma

Hi! If we are signed up for the May flex currently, but they announce that June is going to be flex too, do you think it will be possible to switch registration from May to June?

Hey there. So it's normal that the LSAC still says April 25th for people that didn't submit a test date change form a week or so ago and also last night before midnight 4.18, or rather 11.59pm E.S.T. 4.17.2020, correct?

The test date will change, or should I write the LSAC?
    Edit: Probably won't change till Apr. 22 when sign up starts.
    I haven't logged in in a while on LSAC.org, I just thought it would say something else. Sorry I'm just freaking out a bit.

Also do you need CAS if you apply to any american school? Do you need it for CDN schools?

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14017 karma

Update
    Signups for May LSAT-Flex delayed to Monday, April 27, noon Eastern Time

Full text
    Earlier today, we were informed by ProctorU that they are experiencing an issue with one of their systems that is required to open signups for the May LSAT-Flex later today. Our highest priority right now is ensuring that the signup system works properly for candidates, so we are delaying the opening of signups to Monday, April 27, noon Eastern Time. This issue does not affect the LSAC platform that will be used to deliver the test itself. We have complete confidence in ProctorU’s team and capabilities and have no reason to believe that this short delay will affect our ability to deliver the LSAT-Flex the week of May 18. We apologize for this delay and the inconvenience it causes.

• 5 karma

With the LSAT-Flex, will it still have an unsecured variable section?

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Hi rachel,

No, the LSAT-Flex will only have three sections and all of them will be scored!

• 66 karma

Will scratch paper be allowed on the LSAT Flex?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

According to the website, which was recently updated, there's a maximum of 5 blank pages of paper per person--so 10 single sides.

5254 karma

Some university students have made comments on forums about privacy concerns in relation to online proctoring. It seems that students deserve more privacy protection, and I hope these issues will be addressed more going forward.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Lol I wonder why they are so strict with allowing people pencils and not pens? It's not the biggest deal, I can go out and buy pencils, but I don't understand the purpose of only allowing No 2 pencils and not pens.

3481 karma

Also some people have been asking if they can read out loud or talk to themselves during the test - that is specifically mentioned as not allowed in the newly updated guidelines!

• legalstateofmindlegalstateofmind Alum Member
    101 karma

@noonawoon Hi! if you don't mind, where in the LSAC website did you see that we're not allowed to use pen? Trying to find the specific guideline around that on LSAC web but can't seem to find. Thank you!

• dcstyles51dcstyles51 Alum Member
    320 karma

@legalstateofmind
    On the website if you click "What am I allowed with me during the LSAT-Flex" it specifically states No.2 pencils or HB pencils. Says nothing about pens.

• legalstateofmindlegalstateofmind Alum Member
    101 karma

@dcstyles51 Got it! Thank you :)

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

I presume that using the Command F feature to quickly search the Reading Comprehension is absolutely restricted since this functionality presumably wouldn't exists on 'regular' in-person tablet version?

I searched on LSAC but was not able to find an answer or anyway to ask them this question.

If anyone has any insight into this (or knows how to reach out to them with these types of concerns) it would be great to know.

3481 karma

@ahnendc-1 I would be extremely shocked if they left that in. Lots of RC questions rely on memory so that would be a ridiculously unfair advantage. Even if the test software doesn't disable command F searching, I imagine it would be a test violation that would result in having your score cancelled.

• Kiva_180Kiva_180 Member
    130 karma

@ahnendc-1 @noonawoon I'm not so sure about that. They've said that the interface would be the same as LawHub, which does allow finding. Unless there's an explicit rule against it listed somewhere, the worst they can reasonably do is warn you during the test not to do it again.

That being said, I haven't seen where it's made much of a difference for me. It saves maybe 2-3 seconds scanning over the passage (they're pretty short) and I don't see where that provides a meaningful advantage. As we all know, there isn't enough time to substantiate every answer and finding doesn't really change that, so I don't see why preventing it would be a priority for LSAC.

3481 karma

^I think the issue would be having a clear advantage over people who take this in-person on tablets or paper.

Personally, I would avoid doing this because it’s not worth risking having your entire score cancelled over it. Even if they don’t explicitly ban searching.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@noonawoon said:
    ^I think the issue would be having a clear advantage over people who take this in-person on tablets or paper.

Personally, I would avoid doing this because it’s not worth risking having your entire score cancelled over it. Even if they don’t explicitly ban searching.

yea not worth

• 7sage1237sage123 Member
    130 karma

Those who signed up for the May test -- what were the time slot options like? Were they all weekdays during regular working hours (EST)?

I believe I will be ready to take the July LSAT, but can't take a full Monday off work so I'm planning to take the August test due to the Saturday test date. Wondering if I should reconsider my plans if July is offered after work hours/on a weekend.

3481 karma

“ What electronic devices are prohibited?
    One cell phone is allowed for use as a mirror during check-in as instructed by your proctor, but it must be turned off and put away as instructed by the proctor before the test begins.“

Can anyone explain this to me? Why do you need a mirror during check-in? Can you opt to just not do this?

5254 karma

What if your cell phone doesn't have a mirror feature? Would you need a small mirror in the room that you then put aside?

• 66 karma

Will there be a digital timer on the exam screen?

• umich101umich101 Alum Member
    364 karma

@7sage123 said:
    Those who signed up for the May test -- what were the time slot options like? Were they all weekdays during regular working hours (EST)?

I believe I will be ready to take the July LSAT, but can't take a full Monday off work so I'm planning to take the August test due to the Saturday test date. Wondering if I should reconsider my plans if July is offered after work hours/on a weekend.

To my knowledge, the standard slots are Monday & Tuesday during normal hours, but exceptions can be made I believe if you reach out

• empocratesempocrates Alum Member
    edited May 2020 170 karma

is using a mouse allowed? I can't find anything where it explicitly says it's not allowed. I'm assuming it should be okay?

• cldennis94cldennis94 Core Member
    145 karma

Will they ever stop doing LSAT Flex?

• dcstyles51dcstyles51 Alum Member
    320 karma

@noonawoon said:
    “ What electronic devices are prohibited?
    One cell phone is allowed for use as a mirror during check-in as instructed by your proctor, but it must be turned off and put away as instructed by the proctor before the test begins.“

Can anyone explain this to me? Why do you need a mirror during check-in? Can you opt to just not do this?

There's a video about everything in the set up from proctoru. The mirror is to directly look at your computer screen. Regardless they say that they want you to have your cell phone so that they can see you turn it off.

Here's the video.

3481 karma

^^Thank you!!!! I feel like I'd rather just use a handheld mirror tbh, it seems easier than using a small phone mirror. But you're right we do need to have the phone to show them it's off. I wonder if we can turn it off before or if they need to see it physical shut down

3481 karma

^I wonder if we can keep our laptop plugged into a charger? My battery isn't abysmal but it is a little old and I'd feel more comfortable if I could just keep it plugged into the wall

5254 karma

@empocrates, Another mouse fan here. :)