Stupid Question Maybe - testing Anxiety, all nighter 2 nights before LSAT?

lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
edited May 2020 in General 3190 karma

I have trouble sleeping days before big exams. Even now im starting to feel my sleep affected a bit from just general stress from the LSAT.

Would you recommend pulling an all nighter or just getting like 2-3 hours of sleep 2 days before the LSAT? That way, the night before the LSAT i can ensure Ill fall asleep cause ill be so tired from the night before.

Ive heard so many horror stories of people not getting good enough sleep the night before the LSAT and I want to make sure that doesnt happen.

Generally, I sleep fine but would like to take all precautions possible. What are downsides/upsides? personally, since you shouldnt be cramming 2 days before anyway I dont see a huge problem with like pulling an all nighter 2 nights before and then getting like 8-10 solid hours of sleep the night before?

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited May 2020 4306 karma

I can't relate much so definitely take my advice with a grain of salt but I would think maybe try to; 1) Pull an all nighter followed by a PT the next day, 2) Sleep for a few hours then take a PT the next day and 3) Sleep a few hours 2 days before then a PT. Based on how you felt or what the outcome is maybe go from there? Try all your methods to see which works best for you, especially if you know that solving test anxiety isn't an option for you in this case.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2020 8313 karma

About as far as one can be from a LSAT expert, but I do have tons of experience in critical thinking and sleep deprivation.

Start well before test day and try to schedule sleep that is both adequate and allows you to match your optimal state of mind with your test time. Maybe pull your all-nighter well in advance, and stay up until a bedtime that puts you on schedule for the test. Ideally that will make it so you sleep easily at the intended time, and you're on your game at test time, plus as a backup result, if anxiety does keep you up the night before, your sleep deficit (and outcome degradation) will minimal.

The issue I see with your plan is what if anxiety keeps you up anyway? Then you'll be working off a massive deficit.

• edited May 2020 1058 karma

@canihazJD said:
    The issue I see with your plan is what if anxiety keeps you up anyway? Then you'll be working off a massive deficit.

I second this. When I took the LSAT last year I didn’t sleep well. I got maybe 4 hours. But I scored the highest I had gotten at that point. Thankfully, the nervous energy helped me focus during the test. But if I had pulled all nighters before I doubt I would have been able to think at all.

That being said, everyone is different. I would first give it a try prior to your actual LSAT as Law and Yoda Brandi said.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Would it maybe help cut down on the worries if you called some supportive people the day before?

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

I asked about this too. I was told this would be a bad idea and you should sleep and wakeup at the same time a week before your exam. Try meditation. When someone recommended that to me, i was like thats complete bullshit, that won't help me. But it actually really helped.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@cooljon525 said:
    I asked about this too. I was told this would be a bad idea and you should sleep and wakeup at the same time a week before your exam. Try meditation. When someone recommended that to me, i was like thats complete bullshit, that won't help me. But it actually really helped.

lmaoo thanks cooljon! hope your doing well always appreciated u helping me that one day