Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

October flex?

tmh5947tmh5947 Member
in June 2020 LSAT 313 karma

What’s everyone think the chances are that October becomes flex?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Probably depends how bad the second wave will be.

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

Pretty likely just because its hard to fathom having normal testing conditions with a few hundred people at a test centre and 20/30 in a class at one given time. For further proof, the fact most schools are only offering online classes is indicative that it wont be likely to have large gatherings. Even if they want to have in-person tests, its hard to imagine hiring a bunch of extra proctors and having extra exam halls to accommodate the smaller groups of people that would be writing it.

• edited June 2020 425 karma

I sure hope the October test is not flex! Whatever happens with the August test might be a good indicator of how the October test is conducted... Unless the corona wave shifts in another direction again.

• 246 karma

@tmh5947 I was wondering the same thing as I prepare for the Oct, or Nov administration. I actually tweeted out to LSAC and the guys at Powerscore. Dave Killoran responded that they just don't know and that LSAC is also in a tough spot as we are in uncharted territory with this virus. I know that its hard, especially when it would really help us know how to better prep for the LSAT. In the end, the fundamentals are all pretty much taught across all three sections. Hopefully they announce something sooner than later.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

A few weeks ago I would said maybe there is a chance that we will be back to in person testing but now I feel pretty strongly that much if not all of this testing cycle will be Flex. I am in CA and we are getting record numbers of cases. The schools around me have announced that there will not be normal 5 day a week classes it will either be hyrid or online, even for little kids. I have spoken to my boss as well and we both feel the maximum we may be able to come back into the office is a couple days a week, but with increasing cases there is no real sure way for this either. I had mixed feelings about Flex but am now prepping that it is just going to be how the test is administered.

• MrsRobinson1MrsRobinson1 Alum Member
    106 karma

I think with the rising number of cases in many states such as TX and FL we will see Flex for the remainder of the year. Some test takers will be unwilling to be in a hall with other people even if they spaced out the desks etc. I could not imagine wearing a mask for the duration of the test and being able to focus 100%. I am scheduled to write the Aug sitting and feel it will be Flex. Should I sign up to write the Oct sitting as well just in case? I have seen some discussion on here regarding Flex issues such as proctor interrupting etc.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@MrsRobinson1 I agree with you about the difficulty of focusing (and breathing sometimes) in a mask. Maybe they could work out a hybrid option where people can opt to take an in-person exam (some people prefer this and it would give LSAC more experimental materials).

• lastminlsatlastminlsat Member
    37 karma

So you guys think August will likely be Flex??

• snelllasnellla Core Member
    103 karma

I am pretty sure that the August will be Flex. The rates are really soaring in quite a few states. I can't imagine sending kids back to school will make it better. I would guess that it will be flex til next summer.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

They've indicated in the past that if one US location is online, then all locations in the US are online. Same for in-person. It's very difficult to imagine an in-person situation right now, but maybe if they hired Coronavirus testing health professionals and everyone had to test negative before going inside? Though a health test can be a privacy issue and it requires consent. Plus the tests cost money. And testing, while pretty good, hasn't been 100% foolproof, and it might not be an ideal activity before an LSAT. And if a person was positive, they'd need to have a plan for everyone's safety without sacrificing the person's privacy.

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    edited June 2020 591 karma

I hope the LSAC would allow in-person tests in safe countries, like mine, which has zero case over two months and has normal life as before. I don't like FLEX. It's super unfriendly for international students. Our time slots are extremely weird. Like we can only choose from 5:20pm-4:00am. Most of the time slots are after 8:00pm, and time slots filled up quickly when your screen only shows Error 405 for first thirty minutes. What's worse, July Flex is our first test this year (except the January in person one), and if we don't take it (because you don't want to take the test at a disadvantaged weird time), you only have October test this year, which probably will have the same timing issue. It's so unfair.

• bellamaxbellamax Member
    68 karma

I'm expecting it to be online but I'm hoping that by the time October comes around, most of the issues that people have had with the LSAT Flex are resolved...