Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Logic & Internet Comments

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 3545 karma
Has anybody had an even harder time reading comments on the internet? Every time I read an article and scroll through the comments, I go through this mental process of picking apart the argument, identifying logical fallacies, facepalming really hard, and then thinking, "Omg what has the LSAT done to me?!"

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    OMG! Me too! Especially when I'm reading and I find premise/conclusion indicators, I forget what I'm reading and get into LSAT mode!

Apparently the LSAT makes you smarter :)
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Hahaha what is this cursed disease (please LSAT gods, love me)! I also get giddy when I see causal arguments in newspaper articles and I just think, "Hehe, I know what you're trying to do ---but I don't buy it yet!"
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6867 karma
    That's how you know you're getting better - when the rules of logic cease to be optional and start becoming your default mode of thought. And if you think about it, isn't that how it's supposed to be anyway?
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Definitely. I always say that there are two steps for LSAT studying. Learning and Implementing. After learning everything you need to know, you want to get to the point when it is natural and mechanical. If you're noting logical errors and flaws without planning, it's becoming integrated into your thinking.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    lol I was watching an asian variety show the other day and they were playing a game that had a component of plus (+) and minus(-) to win the race. The first two instances both landed a plus (+). After the second instance, one of the cast members said "the plus (+) already happened twice, the minus (-) HAS to happen next."

:D
    edited March 2015 3545 karma
    Haha this reminds me of the principle behind the gameshow of picking between door 1, 2, and 3 (also known as the Monty Hall Problem)
    3545 karma
    It's not actually similar but the Monty Hall Problem is super cool to think about nonetheless
    3462 karma
    We're cursed!

@ddakjiking haha, that reminds me of the coin flip (heads or tails) in one of the problems.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    You guys must read sophisticated comments because most of the comments on other sites (*coughyoutubecough*) I read are "omg this video is so stupid and gay".
    3545 karma
    &kendallM The GMAT has a logical reasoning section so a lot of people study the LSAT LR material because it's harder than the GMAT LR questions
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    This happens to me all the time on the famous circle-jerk known as reddit lol
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I see a lot of logical fallacies these days in the media but also at home. My nearly 6 year old niece will ask me a question and I will pick apart her statement. For example, we watch Doctor Who. If anyone doesn't know, all you need to know for this is The Doctor is a Time Lord with two hearts. So my darling niece said Mr. Peabody has two hearts (Peabody and Sherman-cartoon time traveling dog and his boy) logically in her mind he's a time traveler, he must have two hearts, assuming he's also a Time Lord and only Time Lords travel in time or perhaps only beings that travel in time have two hearts. I told her Mr. Peabody might have two hearts but we don't know for sure. It's been fun lol.
    3462 karma
    @shine.on.me same with my nephew =/