Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple LSAT Scores Bad?

nordeendnordeend Alum Member
edited May 2015 in General 349 karma
I know this has been addressed in other topics but how bad is it to have 2 or 3 LSAT scores if your highest is in the mid to upper 160s and you're looking to get into a lower law school and then transfer?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I guess it depends on how badly you want to waste multiples of $170 ;)

Why not wait 'til you're sure you're ready?
  • nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    Part of it is pressure from family...and the other is wanting to make sure I make the early application deadline for fall 2016. I am wondering if I go hard the next few weeks then it might pay off vs taking my time and getting burnt out by October. If I don't get the score I want in June I have the October as a back up for the early deadline.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    its something you want to really think about, and ignore family... Not easy but chances are they have no idea what this entails and the process of taking the test and going to LS. As far as deadlines, so say you take your test and get an ok score, apply early then take again and blow your old score out of the water and now the schools you applied to seem silly to go to... then you just wasted a bunch of time and $ on dealing with the applications. Transferring is a very tricky thing, you need to really be at the top of your class for it to be worth it and there is absolutely no way to guarantee that will be the case. You need to be better than everyone else in your class and who's to say theres not another 50+ people who went lower than they want just to transfer? Why not shoot straight for the school you want? It will be worth it in the long run and if you make sure to work for the score needed for your desired school imo you have a better chance of getting it than planning on transferring
    7965 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    ignore family
    amen to this.
    7965 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    Transferring is a very tricky thing, you need to really be at the top of your class for it to be worth it and there is absolutely no way to guarantee that will be the case.
    Don't you also lose out on things like law review and possibly clerkships by transferring? And how is class rank affected?
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Please don't bank on transferring. Go to a law school where you would be comfortable graduating from. You have to be at least in the top 5-10% to have a good shot at transferring to a better school.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Yup. My mentor had the option of transferring to Yale her 2L year (decades ago) or getting on law review. She chose to stay at U of M, got on law review, graduated Order of the Coif (or however it's pronounced), and did just dandy for herself. While circumstances have definitely changed (where I don't know if she'd make that same decision again), it's exceptionally difficult to transfer and you lose out on great opportunities at your initial school if you decide to do so, lest you're jumping tiers (from T2 to T1, or T20 to T14).
    edited May 2015 7965 karma
    @blah170blah Ain't got no time 4 that!!

Just be a big fish in a small pond! Look at this guy.

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    There are also some schools who take away any scholarship you received and you are responsible to pay it back if you transfer (not sure how many schools do this but I have heard it done)
  • Legal BabeLegal Babe Alum Member
    17 karma
    Ufff thinking about tricks and gimmicks like this is tiring....
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I second (or third, or whatever) ignoring your family.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I agree with everyone else except if by family you mean your spouse and kids and you have to support them, than I definitely don't support ignoring them. Nor do I support ignoring your parents if they support you. Law school is nice and all but if you need to support your family that definitely comes first, and if your family is supporting you than you might want to think about starting to support yourself so that you can make these decisions on your own.

If its just some long distance aunt thats saying just do it already than maybe yea ignore her and choose the ideal route, wait til you're ready and go for the school you want to start off with.
    349 karma
    Great advice.....and a lot of it. The family issue is my father in law. He has an international law firm and wants me to become a lawyer asap. My wife and I are currently working fulltime and paying bills just fine. I will definitely heed the "transfer" advice. I see myself scoring around 165 in a few months. Thanks
    7965 karma
    @visualcreed said:
    Law school is nice and all but if you need to support your family that definitely comes first, and if your family is supporting you than you might want to think about starting to support yourself so that you can make these decisions on your own.

This thread is one of those that makes me grateful for my independence. It's enough pressure with my own skin being the only one in this game.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Family pressure will really affect your overall performance especially if you're rushing yourself to take the LSAT just so that they can finally say that you did it! But in the end.... will that score get you into law school? Also, what will your family say the second or third time you're prepping for the LSAT? They might not stop rushing you until you get accepted somewhere.. If I were in your position I would simply ignore them and let them know that when i'm ready I will sit for the LSAT until then I will not waste my time or money... unless if they're willing to pay for it :) haha
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    If I were him I'd want you to get in a good school so that you potentially become a better lawyer when you work for me..
    7965 karma
    @emli1000 said:
    If I were in your position I would simply ignore them and let them know that when i'm ready I will sit for the LSAT until then I will not waste my time or money... unless if they're willing to pay for it :)
    I think you've put your finger on the issue for it—they think that because they have OP by the purse strings that they call the shots and make the schedule. That is false. Success on the LSAT is not simply a mater of "trying hard enough." It's effort applied and habits cultivated OVER TIME. And over much time. In fact, OP should demonstrate to them that their methods are actually running counter to their stated goal.

@nordeend perhaps send your parents this article by our own @"Jonathan Wang" http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2584/why-knowledge-is-not-enough
    349 karma
    My thoughts exactly...taking the LSAT in October. I love these discussion forums-what a great place to accumulate knowledge and comradery!
    7965 karma
    Way to go, @nordeend ! You do you!