Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Should we use the "Simulate Modern" button when preparing for exams in 2022?

sgriffgorsgriffgor Member
edited April 2022 in General 98 karma

I'm confused when it comes to the best way to take older prep tests: simulate modern vs. don't simulate. The old tests had two LR sections, which isn't representative anymore except that it provides a four-section experience, thereby helping test-takers when it comes to training our stamina for the actual test. However, taking a 3-section test also isn't really representative because the actual test will have an experimental section. I'm also concerned that by cutting out the second LR section, the final score will be skewed. For example, the last test I took I did both LR sections. One I got -2 and the other I got -7! If the -7 section had been cut, my score would have been boosted significantly, possibly leading to a false sense of progress. How does 7Sage determine which LR section to cut?

Help

Simulate Modern
  1. Use "Simulate Modern" to prepare or take four sections with two LR?329 votes
    1. Yes, use "Simulate Modern"
      35.87%
    2. No, take all 4 sections
      64.13%

Comments

  • 296 karma

    I practice taking all four sections so stamina wise, i'm ready for a four section test. In reality, it shouldn't matter which section is the experimental because on test day, you don't have control over which section it is.

    Every practice test has overall the same level of difficulty (in theory) where certain sections are easier and certain sections are harder. The problem with deviating from a 4 section pre-set test (with two LR) is that the experimental section you add in could be easier or more challenging in difficulty than what that section should be like compared to the other sections in the test. That can give you false hope or false confidence.

    Besides, I do think that LR is a really good section to devote extra practice to because it is so translatable to the other sections and gives you a great foundation to build off of.

  • Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited April 2022 1528 karma

    @sgriffgor said:
    How does 7Sage determine which LR section to cut?

    Hi there,

    I just want to answer this question. Simulating Modern will always skip the second LR section. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

  • dmlang22dmlang22 Member
    130 karma

    Since the experimental can be any of the 3 sections, but 7sage presents only the additional section, any advice on taking practice tests that would actually reflect getting a 4th random section on test day? TIA!

  • sgriffgorsgriffgor Member
    98 karma

    @"Cherry - 7Sage" Hey Cherry, thank you for clarifying. I have a follow-up question: is the final scaled score then based on an estimate of how you would have done on both LR sections combined? For instance, let's say you got -3 on the first section but the second was harder. Would that affect your simulated score? Or does the computer simply disregard the second section (how easy/hard it was and how it affected the overall scale) and base your LG performance entirely on the first?

  • hrmetzhrmetz Member
    11 karma

    @sgriffgor no the experimental section is not included in your score, it is meant for you to practice stamina only. LSAT does not average your two sections and 7Sage reflects that. If you take it out or take the section you will get the same score

  • legalwormlegalworm Alum Member
    17 karma

    @hrmetz so just to confirm - if I do not click "simulate modern," and take both LR sections, 7sage will automatically only count the first one? I don't need to click anything else?

  • sgriffgorsgriffgor Member
    98 karma

    @hrmetz Just to make sure we're on the same page... the test used to be four sections PLUS an experimental section. It used to have two LR sections. By clicking "simulate modern," 7Sage will remove the second LR section. That section was NOT experimental on the original test. As far as I know, experimental sections aren't released to companies like 7Sage for the precise reason that the precise section may be used in the future. @legalworm I don't believe that's the case, but maybe @"Cherry - 7Sage" can clarify. My understanding is that if you take both LR sections (the full, four-section test) that both LR sections will count, whereas clicking "simulate modern" will remove the second LR and only score the one you take (the first).

  • Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1528 karma

    @sgriffgor said:
    @"Cherry - 7Sage" Hey Cherry, thank you for clarifying. I have a follow-up question: is the final scaled score then based on an estimate of how you would have done on both LR sections combined? For instance, let's say you got -3 on the first section but the second was harder. Would that affect your simulated score? Or does the computer simply disregard the second section (how easy/hard it was and how it affected the overall scale) and base your LG performance entirely on the first?

    If you "Simulate Modern" and skip the second LR section, you will only be scored on how you answer the 1st LR section.

    @legalworm said:
    @hrmetz so just to confirm - if I do not click "simulate modern," and take both LR sections, 7sage will automatically only count the first one? I don't need to click anything else?

    If you do not click "Simulate Modern" all 4 sections will be scored.

    @sgriffgor said:
    @hrmetz Just to make sure we're on the same page... the test used to be four sections PLUS an experimental section. It used to have two LR sections. By clicking "simulate modern," 7Sage will remove the second LR section. That section was NOT experimental on the original test. As far as I know, experimental sections aren't released to companies like 7Sage for the precise reason that the precise section may be used in the future. @legalworm I don't believe that's the case, but maybe @"Cherry - 7Sage" can clarify. My understanding is that if you take both LR sections (the full, four-section test) that both LR sections will count, whereas clicking "simulate modern" will remove the second LR and only score the one you take (the first).

    This is correct, the "old" style LSAT format has 4 scored sections (2 LRs, 1 RC, and 1 LG) and 1 experimental section. The experimental section is not included in the PrepTests released by LSAT. So if you took all 4 sections, all 4 sections will be scored. However, if you want to estimate your score with only 3 sections, you can use our Modern LSAT Score Converter which is based on having the same raw to scaled conversion table, but scored as though there was only one LR section (one half of the usual amount) with the raw score scaled up to account for the reduction in the number of questions. Because no one outside of LSAC knows how the scoring will actually be done, this is just an educated guess.

    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

  • justin.a.holmesjustin.a.holmes Core Member
    4 karma

    is it possible to take all four sections, and see all correct/incorrect answers, but also be able to see just the simulated modern score so that the LR is not double weighted?

  • Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1528 karma

    @"justin.a.holmes" said:
    is it possible to take all four sections, and see all correct/incorrect answers, but also be able to see just the simulated modern score so that the LR is not double weighted?

    Yes, if you take PrepTests 90, 91, or 92 via our Digital Tester, only 3 sections will be scored. The fourth variable experimental section is automatically excluded from your score.

    If you take any other PrepTest on our site, all 4 sections will be scored. However, you can estimate your score with only 3 sections by using our Modern LSAT Score Converter.

    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

  • bettinaclbettinacl Member
    41 karma

    I'm concerned about this as well. I'm hesitant to use the "old version" because it will count both LR scores, which isn't how the test is anymore, but I'm also worried about using the modern version because it won't stimulate the fatigue of taking 4 sections or the uncertainty of not knowing which section is unscored. I feel like neither options would accurately stimulate the testing experience.

  • pegahnasrollpegahnasroll Member
    117 karma

    I stimulate modern. If you're someone that gets mental fatigue easily I would still stimulate modern and drill a random section as your 'experimental.' I think stimulating modern is better for me because LR is the section I've been trying to improve in so its nice to have lots of LR to drill (since I always skip the second LR section when stimulating modern).

  • jasalefloresjasaleflores Live Member
    30 karma

    I simulate modern , and to piggyback off what @pegahnasroll said, this has helped me tremendously in terms of reducing mental fatigue. My huge disclaimer is that I have ADHD, and therefore have more time on the test. Though that helps tremendously, that means a four section test is almost 5 hours long. Since I've been simulating modern, I've been able to significantly increase my PT Scores. I find that making sure I can answer the questions and sit through the entire test and then work on stamina will be my best bet. Especially since I'm the type of person who gets adrenaline from stressful situations.

    It's really just up to you and your preferences. Maybe try both and then move forward from there!

  • natashm7natashm7 Member
    24 karma

    I write the full 4 sections but before I click "Review Results" I press simulate modern so that the extra section is not included in my score. This way I can practice the timing for the full 4 sections without knowing which one of the LR sections is not being counted and it gives me a better idea on my score. I also take the 10 min break between section 2 and 3 as it tends to breaks up your focus which helps me prepare for that on the real LSAT break. Hope this helps.

  • gcarter5924gcarter5924 Member
    49 karma

    So, it depends on my availability... Currently, I work full time, go to school full time, and have responsibilities at home, so my schedule is tight. I make as much time as possible (usually putting in 30-40 hours a week to LSAT studying because I am a psycho). But sometimes I won't have the time to sit for the full 4 sections (I've been granted for 150% time accommodations so to sit for all 4 takes nearly 4 hours, a large chunk of day to reserve every day for a test and then do BR atop). So if my day won't accommodate the 4th section, but would allow 3, I do 3.

    Whether you take 3 or 4 comes down to how you can best serve yourself in this moment.

  • srobsrob Core Member
    13 karma

    @"Cherry - 7Sage Student Service" so your comment about the digital tester in the last three PTs, we dont need to simulate modern then based on what you said?

    Thanks!

  • Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

    @srob said:
    @"Cherry - 7Sage Student Service" so your comment about the digital tester in the last three PTs, we dont need to simulate modern then based on what you said?

    Thanks!

    Hi there,

    Yes, that's right! You don't need to simulate modern on PrepTests 90, 91, or 92 as only 3 sections will be scored. The fourth variable experimental section is automatically excluded from your score.

    Let me know if you have any further questions. I am happy to help!

  • SBSCTMMMSBSCTMMM Member
    edited September 2022 35 karma

    @jasaleflores said:
    I simulate modern , and to piggyback off what @pegahnasroll said, this has helped me tremendously in terms of reducing mental fatigue. My huge disclaimer is that I have ADHD, and therefore have more time on the test. Though that helps tremendously, that means a four section test is almost 5 hours long. Since I've been simulating modern, I've been able to significantly increase my PT Scores. I find that making sure I can answer the questions and sit through the entire test and then work on stamina will be my best bet. Especially since I'm the type of person who gets adrenaline from stressful situations.

    It's really just up to you and your preferences. Maybe try both and then move forward from there!

    @jasaleflores

    May I ask if 100% time accommodation is allowed for the ADHD? I've heard that only 50% is allowed though.

Sign In or Register to comment.