Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I move my test?

january1400january1400 Core Member
in General 12 karma

I planned on taking the August LSAT on Friday, but I am now having mixed emotions if I should cancel it. About a month ago I was scoring consistently in the mid 160's but now in the week leading up, I have scored in the 140's TWICE. Upon reviewing the PTs, I have no idea how I had made so many mistakes.
Any insight would be appreciated thank you.

Comments

• PlsnologicPlsnologic Member
    113 karma

I'm taking my first LSAT on Friday, and I've decided to not do any PTs in the week leading up to it. Part of this decision was that I knew that if I don't do well on my PTs just before the test, I'd start freaking out and get discouraged. You've gotten discouraged, so you may want to take more tests to prove to yourself that you're ready, but I don't think that taking more PTs before Friday will help.

On the one hand, other things being equal, there's no need to rush, so if you don't feel ready, then move the test. On the other hand, if it's your first LSAT and you think that, when you have a clear mind, you can score in mid 160s, then don't do any more prep until Friday, do a couple of logic games on Friday morning, and take test. So if you feel that your poorer performance on your last few tests is due to your lack of preparedness, then I'd move the test. But if you feel that it's due to being nervous, then I'd still take the test and just really focus on relaxing and winning the mental game over the next two days.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Hi there. IMO, deciding to cancel depends largely on (1) your goal score relative to your average scores; (2) when you need/want to start law school; (3) your responsibilities outside of learning the LSAT.

Going from an average of 160 to 140 is a significant drop but not unheard of. You may be experiencing a bit of burn out. Make sure to give your mind and body rest from the LSAT.

Honestly, you can't learn much more from now until Friday (I assume that's the day of the exam). If you're going to take it Friday, I highly suggest you just take 1 PT on Wednesday, review it carefully, take Thursday off, and take the real thing Friday. However, rescheduling would depend on the factors above. You can PM me if you want to chat.

• january1400january1400 Core Member
    12 karma

Thank you for this insight. I think you're right, it may be burn out. Ive studied for 6 months and now practice test scoring in the range of my cold diagnostic. Might be time for a break. Thank you > @Plsnologic said:

I'm taking my first LSAT on Friday, and I've decided to not do any PTs in the week leading up to it. Part of this decision was that I knew that if I don't do well on my PTs just before the test, I'd start freaking out and get discouraged. You've gotten discouraged, so you may want to take more tests to prove to yourself that you're ready, but I don't think that taking more PTs before Friday will help.

On the one hand, other things being equal, there's no need to rush, so if you don't feel ready, then move the test. On the other hand, if it's your first LSAT and you think that, when you have a clear mind, you can score in mid 160s, then don't do any more prep until Friday, do a couple of logic games on Friday morning, and take test. So if you feel that your poorer performance on your last few tests is due to your lack of preparedness, then I'd move the test. But if you feel that it's due to being nervous, then I'd still take the test and just really focus on relaxing and winning the mental game over the next two days.

• T14babyT14baby Core Member
    82 karma

I would reschedule it if I were you. The first and only time I took the actual LSAT I was in a similar situation. I was scoring in the 160's but not consistently. I decided to go for it based on the advice, "you can cancel it if you bomb it, plus it's good experience." Well, I did bomb it, and I did cancel the score. However, it did NOT give me any worthwhile experience; it's identical to the law hub PT's with the addition of a proctor. Plus, l wasted my "cancelled" score, when I already knew the possibility of bombing it was high. Not to mention, the unneeded stress, waste of an entire day, and taking some of my confidence. My new plan, and advice to everyone else is, DO NOT take the LSAT until you are consistently scoring on your PT's what you want to score on the actual exam. Just my two cents. -B

• LSATstudier22LSATstudier22 Member
    91 karma

One thing to keep in mind as well, you can do the score preview and cancel your score for ALL your LSATs now, not just the first one. Good luck if you decide to write it! If not, all the best on your LSAT studying journey:)

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

I would push it back your LSAT to at least Sept if not October and carefully review what other people are saying above! Even just a month or two careful studying can help tremendously.