Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on when to take the test...

allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
in General 1128 karma
Hi folks, looking for advice here. As a side note, I love the community feel and all the support on the discussion forum!

I'm trying to score in the high 160s or even maybe low 170s to get significant scholarship offers at my local law school options (the better school here has average 164 LSAT, with 3.67 GPA ). For reference my UG GPA was 3.87.

I started studying in January, but was still at a demanding job and my pace slacked. I picked it up again in June when I quit my job, and my plan has been to study June-Sept and take the Oct exam.

I've finished the Trainer and initially thought to use 7Sage just for LG, but now I've gone through the core curriculum for RC as well. I think the Trainer is great for LR, but I am wondering about going through the 7Sage core curriculum for LR as well - though this would put me behind on my study schedule.

Currently, I'm working through the LG bundle and seeing improvement, but it is slower than I anticipated. I usually drill games until I'm hitting JYs target time for them.

All that to say... lately I have been thinking that the Oct test is a stretch. I planned to begin PTing with BR next week (2-3/wk); If I go through the LR curriculum it will probably set me behind a week, giving me only 8 weeks for PTs. I believe I can do about 23 PTs even with the set back, but I had planned for at least 30 before the test...

I believe I could perform higher if I take in Dec, and some of the schools I am interested in will even take the Feb test. However, I'm concerned I will miss the window of time in which most scholarships are given out.

Any advice or suggestions very appreciated!

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 1489 karma
    In terms of admissions, scholarships, etc., a higher score later is better than a lower score earlier.

Really hit it hard until October and then see where you stand. If you're scoring at or slightly above (depending on who you ask) your target score, then take it. If not, then push it back.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I agree ^. She gives good advice.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Personally I think the Feb LSAT is too late in the cycle to be considered a viable candidate for scholarships. I would recommend prepping with the urgency that you would if you were taking October, but be willing to postpone until December if need be. Just take your studies seriously and let everything play out.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Thanks for the help! Really appreciate the input.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Good advices thrown around on here. Definitely do not take it until you are feeling confident in scoring within your desired score range. And yes, I would consider Feb relatively late in the cycle. Aim for October but be okay with postponing till Dec if you need a few more months.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    You can always contact to school to see if they can advise, as they know best.