Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guidance Needed :(

harrismeganharrismegan Member
in General 2074 karma
BLAH.
I took prep test #62 today and had to stop when I couldn't complete the Logic Games section. I just couldn't move past it. That has never ever ever happened to me before in the entire time I have been practicing for the LSAT.

I don't know what to do at this point. I've been studying for an entire year. I took the December LSAT and received a 155. I decided to take the October LSAT of this year, so I've been studying consistently since December.

I started PTing at the end of May and I started with 1 a week. Since then, I've taken 10 exams and my average is 165 with a BR average in the 170s.

I took a mini vacation for a week and a half and managed my first 170 at the end of July.
Since then, I've felt.......... burnt out. I tried to take a few breaks last week (after scoring a disappointing 161), but today I had a panic attack and couldn't even finish the exam.

I don't know what to do at this point. I took some advice and stopped drilling LR sections, as that was probably contributing a lot to my burn out, but if my mark keeps plummeting I don't know if it's in my best interest to write in October?

I just feel lost.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    IIRC I did terrible on that LG section as well for some reason, only to find out on review that it wasn't actually that bad so I'm not sure what exactly it was in that case. I ran into a similar issue doing an LG section today but instead of panicking I skipped the game, did the rest and came back and took a completely different approach that really paid off.

I know there is only like 3 weeks until the change/cancel cutoff but I'd highly recommend a week off (hard break, so no prep or LSAT stuff whatsoever). If you're working on top of prep I would recommend getting away from that too if at all possible. At this point if you're BR is in the 170s then you are in good shape for only having taken 10 PTs this time around. I'd come back from break and do a couple 5 section PTs with a clean test BR and gauge where you're at then. If you're still at least 165/170 split then I'd say push through to October, otherwise change to December. I think some people emphasize quantity over quality and it ends up hurting other people who need the opposite.

The biggest thing I can recommend is don't panic. Relax and determine the best way forward for your goals, both on the test and in life. Feel free to hit me up anytime if you ever need someone to talk to. Good luck and take 'er easy.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited August 2015 1878 karma
    Hi @harrismegan If you're still feeling burnt out, it might be best to take another break and see if it helps. If you can then get to your goal score by October, take test; otherwise postpone.

However, an option that might be better is to do non-stressful, low-key LSAT prep. Consider doing old LG that you've done before and do them un-timed. They won't be as tough, obviously, but the patterns will still be getting integrated into your thinking. Don't be over-proud of the ease in which can do the games, but be a little proud as it is still the learning which enables you to complete the games.

Since the LG will be untimed, spend time just "soaking" in the game. Try alternate strategies. Play with diagram ideas. In short, have fun. Hopefully this won't lead to burn out, but instead to a feeling of progress and refortifying your training.
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    edited August 2015 522 karma
    I just did PT 62 this past Friday, one of the games really ruins your flow (at least for me), but as long as you skip that game and go to the rest it's fine. I ended up doing quite well on the games overall for it, so I think it's just a matter of not getting panicked, and moving on and then coming back.

You can do it!
  • bluejaysbluejays Alum Member
    42 karma
    Yep, I had the same kind of trouble with PT 62, Game #2
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    It happened to me 2 weeks ago as well when I could not finish LG in PT 60 and I had to stop. I am shooting for December and striving to score above 168. If you are still in burn-out, you should take a break and then see how it goes. If you still do not feel ready, you can still take december test.
  • KbrizzleKbrizzle Member
    22 karma
    Maybe this isn't so helpful, but look... You've come a really long way! Please take a moment to realize that a jump from 155 to 170 is awesome and a lot of people (including me) are dreaming of being able to say that!

I think it can only help that you review the games and move on.Clearly that rarely ever happens to you and from the comments, it seems like that section is a beast. You're going to get there.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @harrismegan We are meeting for a group BR this Wednesday PT 63. I have taken it and all I will say is, give it one more try. Then come join us to discuss Wed evening.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @nye8870 said:
    @harrismegan We are meeting for a group BR this Wednesday PT 63. I have taken it and all I will say is, give it one more try. Then come join us to discuss Wed evening.
    Okay! I have decided to do PT #63 tomorrow afternoon. What time is the BR and how do I sign up?
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    Excellent!! @harrismegan Lately we have been joining the BR calls together in Skype at 7 p.m. EST. So adjust for time zones. We'll need your Skype name so we can add you to our contacts (then have the ability to "call" you). If you want to do a trial run just PM me with your Skype name and I will add you and give you a call so you are sure it will work tomorrow. Good luck! I think you will do great!