Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally broke the 160s!!!

adriana_badriana_b Core Member
in General 161 karma

I've been feeling like I was going to end up stuck in the 150s forever, after consistently scoring around 153-156 (I'm taking the August LSAT). I took a preptest today and ended up with a 164!!! I could not be happier, as my goal for the actual exam has been at least a 160- now it finally feels attainable :) time to keep drilling + aim for consistently scoring in the 160s!

Comments

• lawboy65lawboy65 Core Member
    21 karma

congratulations! stay focused and keep going

• adriana_badriana_b Core Member
    161 karma

@lawboy65 said:
    congratulations! stay focused and keep going

thank you !!!

• zackarykrausezackarykrause Live Member
    10 karma

congrats girl!!!!

• Carolina MunozCarolina Munoz Live Member
    11 karma

Congrats Adriana! I was wondering, what do you think was the best way you studied? In other words, what is your go-to study plan?

• katelyn1353katelyn1353 Live Member
    13 karma

Congrats!! Same here wondering what you think was the most helpful for your improvement?

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    310 karma

I'm late to the party, but I remember that 150s to 160s jump! Huge motivation boost and evidence that YOU'RE KILLING IT!!!

161 karma

@"Carolina M" said:
    Congrats Adriana! I was wondering, what do you think was the best way you studied? In other words, what is your go-to study plan?

@katelyn1353

being a philosophy major, i have a decent background in formal logic- so for me a lot of my shortcomings lie within test-taking itself or simply a lack of familiarity with the exam. practicing and becoming super familiar and even comfortable with both the format and question types has played the biggest role i think!! being able to not only quickly identify the question type, but what type of answer to look for has improved my accuracy and timing immensely (untimed sections and short, 5 question drilling has helped with this)! as for reading comp, that one is definitely just practice and thorough, active reading- though, i personally think that performing well on LR consequentially has the same effect for reading comp, since some of the questions are similar! basically, once you feel comfortable with each question type- practice!!!!! my favorite piece of advice i've heard is that, on test day, you want to find comfort in the exam itself. everything else is going to be new and scary, but the LSAT itself is a piece of familiarity and you should get good enough to where it's what makes you feel a sense of comfort :)

hope all of that made sense, good luck to you both with the rest of your studying !!

161 karma

@ntrepanier5 said:
    I'm late to the party, but I remember that 150s to 160s jump! Huge motivation boost and evidence that YOU'RE KILLING IT!!!

THANK YOU!!!! i can't tell you how much this means to me. this exam had me in such a tweakfest until this- the jump was seriously such a confidence boost and completely changed my outlook on the work i've been putting in!!!

161 karma

@zackarykrause said:
    congrats girl!!!!

thank you !!!!

• Legal.LaurenLegal.Lauren Core Member
    14 karma

Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment! I just scored my highest today of 159 so I'm hoping that I will be headed that way myself! Good luck on the August test!

• Alex SemerdjianAlex Semerdjian Core Member
    edited July 22 12 karma

Same, I went through 15 practice tests and my first one was 155 so I'm gitty atm. I'm a philosophy major too so hopefully we can both keep our majors standing again this upcoming LSAT. Good luck!!!

• cpaigec2323cpaigec2323 Member
    10 karma

Amazing!! Im just staring my studying journey and this is very very inspiring!! Keep pushing but also be proud of yourself and reward yourself accordingly ;)

• jmria2121jmria2121 Live Member
    25 karma

yayyyyy that's amazing!!! so inspiring too thank you for sharing

edited July 22 161 karma

@"Legal.Lauren" said:
    Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment! I just scored my highest today of 159 so I'm hoping that I will be headed that way myself! Good luck on the August test!

omg good job!!! 160s are ready for ya, easy money fr! and thank you so much :)

161 karma

@lsatstudierrr said:
    Same, I went through 15 practice tests and my first one was 155 so I'm gitty atm. I'm a philosophy major too so hopefully we can both keep our majors standing again this upcoming LSAT. Good luck!!!

ayeee love to hear it!! we got this ☝️

161 karma

@cpaigec2323 said:
    Amazing!! Im just staring my studying journey and this is very very inspiring!! Keep pushing but also be proud of yourself and reward yourself accordingly ;)

same goes for you!! it's a grueling process, but you can definitely get to where you want to be!

161 karma

@jmria2121 said:
    yayyyyy that's amazing!!! so inspiring too thank you for sharing

thank you so much!! so glad i could offer a little inspiration!

• natalierib17natalierib17 Core Member
    26 karma

Omg Im struggling with the same thing, stuck in the 155s & blind reviewing higher. Im getting burnt out just doing drills. What did you do to make such a big jump, rlly need some advice for how you did this!

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    310 karma

@natalierib17 I'm not OP but I've been in a similar place. Best thing I ever did was take a week off. If you're planning on testing in August, a week off is still feasible, or pushing the test back. If you're testing later, a week off can be super helpful. I haven't found more work to be the antidote to burnout. Take care of yourself!

161 karma

@ntrepanier5 said:
    @natalierib17 I'm not OP but I've been in a similar place. Best thing I ever did was take a week off. If you're planning on testing in August, a week off is still feasible, or pushing the test back. If you're testing later, a week off can be super helpful. I haven't found more work to be the antidote to burnout. Take care of yourself!

@natalierib17

^^this also what i did right before i hit the 60s!! giving your brain a break is so important, it's super easy to get burnt out studying for this exam. additionally, scoring higher in BR means you understand the material better than it may seem from your actual score. make sure you get comfortable with the other aspects of the exam, specifically timing!!!

• beyondpossumbeyondpossum Live Member
    edited July 30 89 karma

Also a Phil BA here. Comes hugely in handy--sure, for giving us a running start with logical reasoning and comprehending dense texts.

But, perhaps more importantly, the skills in introspection and intellectual critique that you developed thru philosophical practice empowers you to, A) discover and uproot out the very subtle, idiosyncratic errors you may be making, and, B. ) cope with the difficulties or shortcomings of the LSAT and construct personal strategies, frameworks, and heuristics to overcomes moments when the exam is less than fair or perfectly proofread. Personally, I got my dream target+5 twice now and I'm on my way to making it an unshakable thing.

Congrats on your progress! We will do our philosophy gods proud!