Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Still studying for the LSAT at 28 - 7Sage Forum

Still studying for the LSAT at 28

spittingnickelsspittingnickels Live Member
in General 184 karma

I purchased my first lsat prep book in October of 2020. It was the princeton review book. Things haven't been easy, and I've used many different prep programs, but in 2023 I started to see major progress through 7sage. I've never given up. I work on the lsat every day.

Ill be 28 next month. My conception of an lsat student is someone who's like 22 or 23. What is the relationship between the lsat and someone's age? I love learning more and more about the test each day. I want to get a score in the 160s and get into my local law school. But I cant help but see, in my peripheral vision, the months fly by

Comments

• __ingrid__ingrid Live Member
    edited August 9 30 karma

It's inspiring to hear about your dedication and persistence over time! Keep focusing on your progress and the knowledge you're gaining. You're on the path to achieving your goal!

• zachary.hunter91zachary.hunter91 Live Member
    58 karma

Age is just a number and comparison is the thief of joy. Nobody's journey is linear and you're allowed to change and grow for your whole life! I'm 33 and studying for the LSAT - ur good.

• coffeechucklescoffeechuckles Core Member
    111 karma

Forget about all the prep books. Go to LR drills, sort problems from easiest to hardest, and do every single weakening question. Then do every single strengthening question. Then every flaw question.

Read the question once, understand the inference being made in the premises (what do they mean in total). Then look at the conclusion. What is the conclusion supposing that the premises have not already explained? That is the gap.

The right answer is going to play on the difference between what the premises amount to and the little gap that is being unnacounted for. Do this for every problem and read them all twice.

Should take at least 10 minutes per problem.

Keep your head up, keep going.

• beckerbrenttbeckerbrentt Live Member
    36 karma

I am 34 and just started studying in June of this year. There is no one size fits all to this thing called life. Keep going, you can do it!

• laelaelaelaelaelae Live Member
    19 karma

@"zachary.hunter91" said:
    Age is just a number and comparison is the thief of joy. Nobody's journey is linear and you're allowed to change and grow for your whole life! I'm 33 and studying for the LSAT - ur good.

DITTO! I'm 37.

• daelalelycedaelalelyce Alum Member
    19 karma

Age is just a number. You've got this. 160 is possible.

• seos_m2seos_m2 Core Member
    21 karma

Dear Spittingnickels and rest of aspired-to-be someone,
    Age is not important when you determined what you want to do for rest of your ife and when you know why you want to do it. I am 57. I spent whole my 25+ years in other field with highest degree you can get in that field. I am studying LSAT because I finally found what I want to do and why I pursue it. Cheer up!

• Older_LS_Applicant85Older_LS_Applicant85 Core Member
    211 karma

This isn't scientific or exact, but as an older person studying for the LSAT, I would like to share my own experience. I started studying for the LSAT around the age of 30 full time (4-6hrs per day x 4 days a week) and after about year I didn't feel ready so I put it off and went back to work. During the 2 years that I worked, I studied part time (1-3hrs per day x 3 days a week) and at the end of those 2 years I didn't feel ready so I went back to studying full time. To make a long story short, during the next 4 years, I repeated the same study schedule and I finally took the LSAT two months ago in June. In summary, I studied a total of 4yrs full time (2yrs, worked, then another 2yrs) and I studied part time for about 3 years.

I scored a high 150s on the LSAT but never broke the 160s as was my goal. During my time studying, I took a 7sage class, hired a Testmasters tutor, and also hired a 7sage tutor. I took about 12 full PTs, completed the 7sage course, and drilled old passages, games, and questions endlessly. I definitely think my age and time away from undergrad affected my LSAT mastery. I don't have any other explanation since I personally feel that I did more than enough work and practice to warrant a higher score. I tend to believe that if you put in the work and effort, you'll get to your goal, and that just didn't happen in my case. So, I don't want to discourage you from going all in on the LSAT, but other factors outside of studying affected my comprehension on this test. Kind of sucks.

• RelentlessRelentless Core Member
    edited August 13 365 karma

36 here and studying for this test. I spent my late twenties and early thirties struggling with a lot of health issues. So I took a break to work on my health and in a way restarting my life. Going back to school seems like the perfect way to do it. Age is just a number unless you were to start learning ballet or gymnastics at my age. There are folks who would beat the odds and still do that too!

The beauty of law is that lawyers don't have to retire, they can always work (health willing of course). I used to practice in a different jurisdiction and my firm had lawyers who were working part time, well into their 70s as senior counsels, after having worked as partners for 20 years or more.
    Go for what your heart desires and give it your best! Best wishes.

• vzhang16vzhang16 Core Member
    6 karma

Not sure if there's much more for me to offer given all the encouraging comments before me. But I'm also 28 and studying for the LSAT, so take heart, there are others, not just 22/23 year olds who plan on testing and indeed enrolling! Also, look up the demographic data that your target law schools have on their websites. Some offer a pretty comprehensive breakdown:
    For instance, roughly 33% of the students who just matriculated at Columbia were 25+, and about 10% were 29+. That is, 33% of students were 25+ at the time of enrollment. So you're very much not alone. That's the hard data evidence.

In terms of personal anecdotes, I had similar concerns about my age (still do to some degree), and, truthfully, I suspect I would have had an easier time with studying and performed better on the exams if I were fresh from undergrad, but at the time this was not on my radar and it wasn't until several months ago that I realized that this is what I wanted to pursue. I could talk about circumstances, but ultimately the point is that nothing is perfect, and all we can do is try our best, work hard, and hope that it all works out in the end. I spent years performing at the peak of another big industry, and it took me time to figure out that I wanted to go into law. But we're here now, and lucky to know what we want to do now, and lucky to be surrounded by fellow test-takers and eventually fellow law school students who have taken time to figure things out.

Best of luck to you, you'll get to where you want to go in the end.

• darman45darman45 Live Member
    140 karma

Love reading through this thread!! I wouldn't characterize myself as an older applicant, but reading this thread has been inspiring nonetheless. I think it's cool that people come into this journey at different points in their lives, and based on experience, it's fun to work with people of all different ages and backgrounds. You ultimately end up being able to forge connections with people who come from very different experiences, but ultimately share some core values. Anyway, good luck to you all! Maybe we'll work together someday in the future

• navnav Live Member
    18 karma

i am 31 and starting to study for LSAT !!! don't let this age thing get on your way

• hendrickshendricks Live Member
    401 karma

It's probably better to be thinking about what you want to do with your legal education, and why you want to go to law school. Age is literally irrelevant.

• ad180perasperaad180peraspera Core Member
    10 karma

I'm with others in that age isn't relevant. I'm turning 32 this year and taking it. My official June score was a 168, taking it one more time in September to see if I can crack into the 170s... otherwise I'll go ahead with my June score.

• nilehs63nilehs63 Free Trial Member
    13 karma

I completed my undergrad degree in April 2020. I am 60 yrs old and started studying for the LSAT last year. It has only been the last month that I have seriously studied. I like what Hendricks had to say about your plans for your law degree. I plan to work in Environmental law. I am passionate about animals and a clean, sustainable environment, so a law degree is how I can best safeguard both. My concern for both is a part of me, and something that will be important to me for the rest of my life. I don’t know when I will get into law school, but I will, and when I do, I will do my best to protect the sacred beings on this earth. Even if I am 80 when I finally graduate. I absolutely agree with Hendricks, that age is irrelevant.

• JojiVlogsJojiVlogs Live Member
    15 karma

27 here. Year 2.5 of studying. You're not alone.

• CoolHumanPersonCoolHumanPerson Core Member
    53 karma

32 and 1 year into this journey and will be 33 when I start law school. I have spoken to a bunch of lawyers and law students about this and from what I hear the average age of the classroom has been on the rise for a while now. We are not alone!

On a slightly lighter vein, aren't you just happier when you see grey hair on your doctor and lawyer? We will graduate with a clear advantage.

• ericaknight95ericaknight95 Live Member
    4 karma

I’m 29 and studying for the LSAT in November! I’m not too old, you aren’t too old, and I firmly believe you’re never too old for new academic challenges or a change in career! You can do this, friend! 😊

• dywel.karoldywel.karol Live Member
    2 karma

I am almost 38 and I am just starting my journey now, hoping to get into law school within the next 2 years :) good luck everyone!

• SmoothFishSmoothFish Core Member
    20 karma

I'm 30 and studying for the LSAT, and I love this thread and the people on it! It's making me think of the movie Nyad. I don't want to give anything away, so just trust me and give it a watch without looking anything up. I guarantee watching it will help you cement your belief that the limit does not exist even if the world fearfully tells you something can't be done. I'm not typically big on guarantees either, but I stand by this one. All the best to you all!

• msjay5bmsjay5b Live Member
    14 karma

I’m 45 and I just started to study for the LSAT. I actually returned to undergrad last quarter in order to finish my degree in 2026. I will need to take the LSAT either April or June 2025. I’m a mom and I run my own Real Estate Firm. I am enjoying this new way of learning and I plan to take a logic course in the fall. I’m not concerned about my age at all. I know what I want to do with my law degree and it doesn’t need to be working a huge law firm. My strategy is to just do some learning each day (2-3 hours) and then PT the last two months before the test. It’s the same strategy I used to get my real estate license and Managing Brokers license. I only took both test once. I know this is harder, but I plan to only take it once. I just discovered the live classes and I really like them so I will incorporate that into my study plans as well. Good luck to all of us Non-Traditional students! We can do this!

• 124 karma

I'm 39! I cannot imagine being 23 studying for this! It's very hard but persistence pays off