Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have I made the right decision?

goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
in General 531 karma
So I was planning to take my LSAT in December, but I was scoring in the 150's with BR's in the 160's, no where near my goal, so I just finally said I don't want to put myself under so much pressure for the December test, and postponed my test until Feb. I am feeling a bit stressed out considering my parents and everyone around me is nagging me to death to take the December administration so I don't take a year off, but I know this score is just way too important, considering this determines school, job prospect, and how much scholarship money I will get, to just allow their nagging to overpower common sense.

From your perspectives, do you guys fee like my decision was reasonable, or was I just paranoid and actually had enough time to study and score in the 170's by December?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    I am feeling a bit stressed out considering my parents and everyone around me is nagging me to death to take the December administration so I don't take a year off
    Ignore them.

DECISION IS MORE THAN REASONABLE. Decision is ADMIRABLE.

• goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Thanks, I def needed some reassurance. I could not even fall asleep last night stressing about this so hard.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    You made the right decision. don't hesitate to postpone until June if you need to.
    7965 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    I could not even fall asleep last night stressing about this so hard.

531 karma
    LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO That is just totallllyyy hillarious.
    531 karma
    @allergic I was thinking that I would take it in Feb, and then retake if I want.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Just wanted to let you know that you have made a great decision. People don't understand the importance of a good LSAT score and how it can change one's entire life. I just read a self-help book where the author said to "never settle for average." So many people succumb to the pressure you described in your post and end up doing just that. They go to a shitty school, have a ton of debt, and end up getting a terrible job. This of course changes their entire life. The beauty of this test is that you'll know when you're ready---when you consistently hit your target score on practice tests.
    I am in the exact same predicament you're in and I refuse to take the test until I know I did everything I can to put myself in a position to succeed. Words can't even express how much pressure I've been getting from family, friends, etc. but this test is just too damn important. It's my life, not theirs. Sean Hannity, whom I love, was asked how he got to where he was today. He answered saying that he didn't let others determine the path he'd take. People told him that he'll never become big in the media industry but he didn't give a damn. He pursued his dreams and look where he's at today.
    I applaud your decision, it's definitely not an easy one. But in a year, when you hit your target score, it'll feel so damn good. Thank god I discovered this forum because if I hadn't I would've just settled. And I know to never settle for average.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation. Good luck with everything!
  • Andrew KAndrew K Member
    76 karma
    A gap probably wouldn't just help you get a better LSAT score and get you into a better school, it will give you an additional year of maturity and experience that may make you do better in law school which will help you in the job market after.
    edited September 2015 7965 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    The beauty of this test is that you'll know when you're ready---when you consistently hit your target score on practice tests.
    I agree with all of this but want to make a slight caveat, just in case people are wondering/freaking out.

It is possible to know that you're ready without seeing ... "consistent" goal scores. I don't want someone to freak out and cancel because they saw 3 173's in a row and then a 165 (or a dreaded 169) the week before the test. Ok. So many factors go into PT scores and you gotta give yourself some wiggle room. The most important thing is that you've HIT your goal score, and hopefully like 5+ times.

You'll know when you're ready. There will be no doubt in your mind. In my opinion, you only feel ready when you're probably over-ready. Kinda like an avocado.

• lsatblitzlsatblitz Alum Member
    521 karma
    I hope I end up at the same law school as @nicole.hopkins so I can have her talk some sense into me when I'm having a 1L meltdown
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Stupid question but I'll ask anyway: Is there a way for schools to find out that you have postponed your LSAT? Like if someone postpones 5 times it may raise some red flags---procrastination, afraid of pressure, etc.
    7965 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    Is there a way for schools to find out that you have postponed your LSAT?
    Oh HELL no. That's water under the bridge. Only cancellations (you sit for it and then cancel your score) and takes.
    7965 karma
    @lsatblitz said:
    I hope I end up at the same law school as @nicole.hopkins so I can have her talk some sense into me when I'm having a 1L meltdown
    531 karma
    @StopLawying Parents don't understand sometimes, and it is so frustrating. My parents especially do not understand that this test requires this much studying. I am Middle-Eastern, and I don't know if you have dealt with parents of this decent, but lemme tell you, they are stubborn as hell. Also, people who do not know about this test, and I tell them when I am taking it, their response is "WOW why so long, its just a test."
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 7468 karma
    I think anytime people give an LSAT student a hard time---particularly, when they pressure him or her to take the test earlier than he or she should-- they should immediately be given a timed LSAT LR section and then ridiculed for all the problems that they get wrong, in front of the people they respect the most. Shame on them for applying pressure to a process in which they are completely ignorant.

Unless, of course, they’re paying rent and living expenses for said LSAT student. Then, it get’s complicated...
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    they should immediately be given a timed LSAT LR section and then ridiculed for all the problems that they get wrong, in front of the people they respect the most. Shame on them for applying pressure to a process in which they are completely ignorant.

THIS.
    7965 karma
    Unless, of course, they’re paying rent and living expenses for said LSAT student. Then, it get’s complicated...
    Oh yeah, that. Dang it's good to be a self-supporting gangster.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I personally feel like the February administration is LSAC's ugly step child. For many schools, February is too late in the cycle to apply. Also, the test is not disclosed so you'll never see it again once you finish the test. That said, if you've already postponed December don't feel like you have to register for February just because it's the next administration. If the law schools you want to attend don't accept Feb 16 for Fall 16 admission, then it might be a good idea to saddle up for June and make use of the extra time you have to study.
  • abtx79100abtx79100 Alum Member
    3 karma
    Depending on where you are in the country and if there's a certain school you are geared toward, a FEB LSAT for fall admission still might be workable; you will have to email the schools you have in mind.
    531 karma
    @c.janson35 I am not planning on applying this cycle, Feb. Is wayy too late. I also want to take the Feb lsat because I am currently not working to study for the lsat, and after Feb I def will need a full time job I am running low on cash. If worse comes to worse, I will use the Feb test date as experience, and retake.
  • chelsLSATchelsLSAT Alum Member
    57 karma
    I think anytime people give an LSAT student a hard time---particularly, when they pressure him or her to take the test earlier than he or she should-- they should immediately be given a timed LSAT LR section and then ridiculed for all the problems that they get wrong, in front of the people they respect the most. Shame on them for applying pressure to a process in which they are completely ignorant.

Unless, of course, they’re paying rent and living expenses for said LSAT student. Then, it get’s complicated.
    This is one of the best things I have read.
    Although, I must say I am living at home… My parents and God-father are pushing me into the December LSAT with only 3 months of prep, I don't feel ready at all despite my efforts. I want to push to Feb or even June.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @WorkHardPlayHardDirtbiker Give this a thought: Get a roommate, maybe a better job, and move out. Someplace close, so you can visit. You'll thank me later.
  • chelsLSATchelsLSAT Alum Member
    57 karma
    @WorkHardPlayHardDirtbiker Give this a thought: Get a roommate, maybe a better job, and move out. Someplace close, so you can visit. You'll thank me later.
    I just moved back, I lived across the country for 9 months. I already miss my sanity LOL