Kaizen099Kaizen099 Free Trial Member
edited December 2019 in General 108 karma

Comments

• shainabarbershainabarber Alum Member
    109 karma
    I was told that a 166 would get me a full scholarship, even considering my low gpa. The Dean of Admissions told me this when I met with her during my school visit. This is at the University of South Carolina. Of course, higher ranked schools have higher score requirements, but that might give you an idea about whichever school you are considering.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    This question is so un-answerable but I love it. Hopefully more people will drop their thoughts. Personally I am of the idea that scholership money comes from you're letter and letters of rec. This is of coarse after you have the score and gpa numbers or one or the other
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @LSATKingsman said:
    This question is so un-answerable
    TITCR

Also, merit scholarships come from your numbers, your leverage, and your ability to negotiate.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Your question is too vague lol. But typically guaranteed scholarships I would think are scholarships where you just have to be in minimum academic status to keep. Some of the lower ranked schools require you to maintain at least the median (top 50%) or even higher to keep your scholarship so you should really be careful with those schools.
    8021 karma
    I think they were asking about earning them rather than keeping them. Though the vague nature of the question and the language used does leave room for interpretation. Most scholarships are going to come with stipulations regardless, and I've never heard of a school giving a scholarship with no restrictions but I'm sure there could be some. But why would a school give out a scholarship to someone who could then just add nothing to the community and just barely not fail out of school?
  • Kaizen099Kaizen099 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2019 108 karma
    2116 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Most scholarships are going to come with stipulations regardless, and I've never heard of a school giving a scholarship with no restrictions but I'm sure there could be some.
    Yeah as far as I know, the most lenient stipulation would be to remain in good academic standing. That's like a 2.0 or something so chances are you'll keep it.
    2116 karma
    @kaizen099 said:
    So I was wondering what score I would have to get to at least have some sort of guaranteed assistance from the school.
    This truly depends on the specific school? Is it a T14 or a school ranked 50+?
    8021 karma
    This is still too vague... For example... If you're talking HYS then no scores will be good enough since they don't award merit scholarships. And as I said before, just because you get an offer doesn't mean it's the best the school will give you. So even looking at LSN you aren't seeing all that money that people leave on the table. Now if you have some specific schools we can help you analyze some data, but without being specific there is no answer to this question since there are terrible law schools where you might get a full ride for a 150 and there are schools that a 170 wouldn't give you that.

Furthermore, you seem to generally be putting the cart before the horse and should probably be prepping rather than worrying about this. Devote enough time and energy into your prep and get your score and then the rest should take care of itself.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    There are a few schools that offer full or near-full scholarships if you are accepted via ED or specific scholarship programs.
    8021 karma
    This took me about 15 minutes to cobble together. And no, I will not do this for everyone, not only because I don't have the time or the interest, but because this needs to be a fundamental part of everyone's process in applying to law school. I am doing this now so when people ask similar questions in the future I can refer people to this post so they can see that the information is readily available to everyone who makes the effort, and if you're going to law school and aren't made of money then you need to be making the effort. And for all future people who read this after I direct them to this post, here is my advice to you: If this kind of light research is too taxing for you to perform, then law school and being a lawyer is definitely not for you and I suggest you find something better suited to your tastes.

That being said, @kaizen099 you get to be the lucky recipient of the only time I will ever do this for someone for free!

Of course, you didn't make things easy for me. You didn't list your GPA or whether you are a URM, so I'll assume the GPA is as close to the median as possible at every school for this analysis, that you are not a URM, and that you are from Florida given the schools you asked about (THIS IS WHY SPECIFICS MATTER):

Nova (UR): (medians: 150/3.14)
    Tuition - 34k/yr
    Scholarship - 20k/yr for a 159/3.17
    Full Scholarship - none documented
    Source: http://nova.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants?order=desc&sort=lsat

FIU (#100): (medians: 156/3.6)
    Tuition - 18k/yr (Res)
    Scholarship - 10k/yr for a 163/3.45 (residency unknown)
    Full Scholarship - none documented (school is either 54k or 100k for all three years and no numbers match that and it's next to impossible to figure out if someone is a resident or not)
    Source: http://fiu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants?order=desc&sort=scholarship

STU (#129): (medians: 148/3.01)
    Tuition - 36k/yr
    Scholarship - 12k/yr for a 149/3.02
    Full Scholarship - roughly a full ride for a 157/3.68
    Source: http://stu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants?order=desc&sort=scholarship

UM (#61): (medians: 156/3.36)
    Tuition - 43k/yr
    Half Scholarship - 23k/yr for a 164/3.35
    Full Scholarship - roughly a full ride for a 169/3.33
    Source: http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants?order=desc&sort=gpa_lsdas