Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG Chart?

inactiveinactive Alum Member
in Logic Games 12637 karma
Hey guys,

Got this email in today from a 7Sager and I thought you could help! Here it is:
----------

Hi there!

I have been watching your Logic Games explanations for a while but just recently for the first time I saw a game with the "chart"... none of the prep books I used ever mentioned a "chart" but when I watch your explanations I'm thinking "wow these charts are so much more organized and helpful!"

BUT my test is in 3 days...lol and I am not used to thinking right away to do this kind of chart.. do you have any tips at all as to when I should be triggered to make one of these charts?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    Using a chart for a grouping game is something that can assist when you have pieces that go into the groups that can repeat, meaning they aren't 1 and done pieces. Using a chart is an efficient way to keep track of things in a concise manner. It has been my experience that charts mainly shave off time and aren't entirely necessary for solving grouping games. PT 43 Game 4 is a good game to look at if you want to get a feel for how a chart might assist you, when written out in full, the chart reveals a few inferences and turns what could be a daunting game into a smoother game.
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    I agree with @David3389 - The way to identify when to use a chart is if you have groups where the variables that go into the groups can repeat across all groups. If the variables are unique items that cannot be repeated, one should proceed with the standard grouping game set-up. Chart games are a blessing!

This will be me on Saturday if we get one:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/KXgJsSeOfvSgg/giphy.gif
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I would like to reserve the right to not dance party until...oohhhhhhh who cares......DANCE PARTY!!!!!
    Who needs a reason?
    (I actually like chart games as well)
  • zanqvi861zanqvi861 Alum Member
    73 karma
    The only shitty chart game was PT 28 Game 2 I think. The one with the languages, Rundi, Swahili etc. The first inference was more than a bit hidden. Made me feel clever after I got it though :D
  • Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited September 2016 2426 karma
    I agree with everyone above completely, the repeating nature of the rule is def a big indicator in sensing a chart as the setup. Time and time again, they often combine this repeating rule nature (at least) with "Not-both" rules to restrict certain slots, which could be the key inference to split the board or just jot down a side note underneath the category like (2-3) if you would rather not split to save time. Once you've made this important restrictive inference known, the rest normally flow naturally. It's kinda the nature of chart games actually, certain slots/categories have got to be restrictive and this is normally how they make them. So I would say that if we see "at least" and "not both" in a game, more than likely it would be chart appropriate. (No hard and fast rule here of course)
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    edited September 2016 1024 karma
    When pieces can repeat almost always use the chart. I'm convinced they aren't on every test because the chart exposes them(chart games).
  • CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    edited September 2016 236 karma
    I'd be careful about using a simplistic "game pieces repeat in multiple groups" as a trigger. I implemented a chart for 76 Game 2, which meets that criteria. A chart slowed me down because it wasn't necessary, and I would've been much faster with a normal grouping set up. This game had only 3 unique game pieces.

The only games that need a chart in the 70s series is 73 game 4 and 77 game 4. Both games had 4 or more unique game pieces that could repeat.

So to modify everyone's contribution: the trigger should be game pieces that can repeat in a grouping game, but only when there are 4 or more unique game pieces to keep track of.