Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any 31 years old struggling to decide whether to keep their FT job vs pursuing Law School?

Jennifer MJennifer M Core Member
edited July 2021 in General 63 karma

I live in Toronto, Canada and just recently got a full-time permanent job. I have been preparing for my LSAT for over 3 years now since I was in grad school full-time and working full-time. I am hoping to write my LSAT in August and apply for Law School. But I am getting worried and anxious just thinking about if I get into Law School in 2022 is this the right time to let go of a good full time job when the economy is doing bad due to the pandemic? The fear of struggling to find another job or the uncertainties of pursuing law school is making me lose my focus and motivation.

I also worry that pursuing a new career at this age maybe too late now as I could be competing against a lot younger people and will not have same energy/ patience to start all over again.

Anyone else in the same boat as me or have any advise? Thanks!

Comments

• AryanSingh-1AryanSingh-1 Member
    342 karma

37 , full time and part time job. Studying LSAT for 5 month. Took once, will take again in December. Currently about 156. Maybe age or maybe I am just dumb 😭.

• devandesai8devandesai8 Core Member
    6 karma

I am 29 and decided to pursue law school. It's better than stuck wondering what could have been if you had pursued it. I am struggling at my LSAT practice but once this mountain is conquered I'm sure it'll be worth it

342 karma

@msingh0831x said:
    37 , full time and part time job. Studying LSAT for 5 month. Took once, will take again in December. Currently about 156. Maybe age or maybe I am just dumb 😭.

• MonicaLDMonicaLD Core Member
    23 karma

Hey Jennifer M., I feel ya, I think that going to law school is a good idea, not just because I'm doing it, but because the profession is in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, the profession is expected to grow by 4% over the next 8 years, which is pretty average but demand for legal work is expected to continue. I would just take a look at what goals you have, like what do you want to accomplish with your JD? What opportunities would it give you that you don't have with your current accomplishments? If your answers to these questions are positive and you have some goals in mind, don't let the fear of "looking for another job" bog you down. Because ultimately, depending on what you're doing, you won't just be finding a job, you'll be finding your place in your career.
    Also, I think depending on where you go to law school, career services are available to you and people will be more than willing to help if you ask.
    And don't worry about your age, I'm 35 and just graduated with my first undergrad degree and will be applying to law school this coming application cycle. No one knows what kind of things held someone back or derailed their plans, and if someone is passing judgement on your age in pursuing law school, that's their problem. Try to think of being in your thirties as an accomplishment that our 20-something peers don't have, the life lessons and skills that come with age are gold - use them in your application packet and frame yourself as someone of interest and substance in this no doubt bound to be competitive cycle.
    Hope that helps!
    Sorry for the long post. :)

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    288 karma

33 here. Personally, I could not imagine working full time AND studying for the LSAT on a regular basis in any meaningful way. I'd hate my life and probably just end up being bad at my job and study. For me, it's either study or full time job. For now it's study only. Is it the correct decision? I think that will mostly boil down to hindsight once it's all over and done with, so I can't say for now.

• Jennifer MJennifer M Core Member
    63 karma

@MonicaLD said:
    Hey Jennifer M., I feel ya, I think that going to law school is a good idea, not just because I'm doing it, but because the profession is in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, the profession is expected to grow by 4% over the next 8 years, which is pretty average but demand for legal work is expected to continue. I would just take a look at what goals you have, like what do you want to accomplish with your JD? What opportunities would it give you that you don't have with your current accomplishments? If your answers to these questions are positive and you have some goals in mind, don't let the fear of "looking for another job" bog you down. Because ultimately, depending on what you're doing, you won't just be finding a job, you'll be finding your place in your career.
    Also, I think depending on where you go to law school, career services are available to you and people will be more than willing to help if you ask.
    And don't worry about your age, I'm 35 and just graduated with my first undergrad degree and will be applying to law school this coming application cycle. No one knows what kind of things held someone back or derailed their plans, and if someone is passing judgement on your age in pursuing law school, that's their problem. Try to think of being in your thirties as an accomplishment that our 20-something peers don't have, the life lessons and skills that come with age are gold - use them in your application packet and frame yourself as someone of interest and substance in this no doubt bound to be competitive cycle.
    Hope that helps!
    Sorry for the long post. :)

Hey MonicaLD! Thank you so much for your kind advise and time. I really appreciate it. I can see what you are saying makes absolute sense! I have just been so stressed with everything that's going on with the pandemic. Really age shouldn't come between our goals and aspirations but as we get older I just feel our responsibilities keep growing and the pressure to keep up with time increases. But what you said is making me feel good and think in a positive way. I am glad I opened this discussion smiley:

Thank you!

63 karma

@devandesai8 said:
    I am 29 and decided to pursue law school. It's better than stuck wondering what could have been if you had pursued it. I am struggling at my LSAT practice but once this mountain is conquered I'm sure it'll be worth it

Exactly! That's why I decided to pursue law school because I don't want to regret it when I am older that "what if I had tried for law school?.' This pandemic is messing with my head.

63 karma

@msingh0831x said:

Honestly, I can assure you its neither...LSAT is a hard exam. If in 5 months you got to 156 then you are at a good pace! You are already above the 50th percentile.

• gemini_vegetariangemini_vegetarian Core Member
    41 karma

29 here and just decided to leave my FT job to study for October/apply for Fall 2022. I think it depends on what line of work you're in; for example, my workplace gets extremely busy in the summer and we have to do a lot of OT. I realized there was no way I could balance both...but prior to our summer season, it was managable.

In terms of age, I know it seems daunting because we're "older", but plently of people in their 30s-50s make a career switch into law. And as cheesy as it sounds...you're never too old to go after what you want :)

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

Bruhh 32 is young af wtf you worried about lmao. Fuck your FT job if you don't like it. Live your dream queen! Jennifer J.D. got a good ring to it too. "Double J-D(eez nutz!!)"

edited June 2021 342 karma

It is perfectly doable with full time job. It just depends on your drive. I work 60hr/week to support my 7 month old and my wife in dental school while using any leftover time to study. Train, work, weekends. It's doable. Just need one good reason to do vs many for not. My reason is to make the country better and just. There is too much abuse of system at this time. Took me 37 years to realize that is my drive.

63 karma

@forbiddend0nut said:
    29 here and just decided to leave my FT job to study for October/apply for Fall 2022. I think it depends on what line of work you're in; for example, my workplace gets extremely busy in the summer and we have to do a lot of OT. I realized there was no way I could balance both...but prior to our summer season, it was managable.

In terms of age, I know it seems daunting because we're "older", but plently of people in their 30s-50s make a career switch into law. And as cheesy as it sounds...you're never too old to go after what you want :)

Sighh I feel like I am running out of time. You know what I am mean ?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2021 8318 karma

I think I'm older than everyone in this thread so far... starting at Cornell in August save for some last minute waitlist shenanigans. We can't go through life precluding ourselves from progress for fear of hypothetical difficulties. Well... you can but that's a shitty way to live.

• laurennnnlaurennnn Member
    86 karma

33, working full time, caring for a sick parent. You CAN do this! Forza!

• SS.SitkaSS.Sitka Member
    100 karma

37 - I've had careers as a commercial pilot and as a CEO of a company before now. I stopped working in April to study full time for this test. Hoping for law school 2022. Which means I'll graduate when I'm 42. My reading comp is Slllllllloooooowwwww and my grammar understanding is unrefined/terrible (I didn't 'really' need either of those skills in my last two careers (honestly) so I'm unpracticed) ... YOU CAN DO IT! It's never "too late". Also - to take the pressure off the kids stuff (cause we have to actually think about factoring that in if we want them) I froze my eggs so I'm not stressed about it anymore. Just something to think about if that's coming up for you!

I believe in you!

63 karma

@"SS.Sitka" said:
    37 - I've had careers as a commercial pilot and as a CEO of a company before now. I stopped working in April to study full time for this test. Hoping for law school 2022. Which means I'll graduate when I'm 42. My reading comp is Slllllllloooooowwwww and my grammar understanding is unrefined/terrible (I didn't 'really' need either of those skills in my last two careers (honestly) so I'm unpracticed) ... YOU CAN DO IT! It's never "too late". Also - to take the pressure off the kids stuff (cause we have to actually think about factoring that in if we want them) I froze my eggs so I'm not stressed about it anymore. Just something to think about if that's coming up for you!

I believe in you!

The kids stuff (whether I am ready or not) freaks me out but that's another story. I am sure if we keep working hard at it. We can do it! Thank you for your support ! :smiley:

63 karma

@canihazJD said:
    I think I'm older than everyone in this thread so far... starting at Cornell in August save for some last minute waitlist shenanigans. We can't go through life precluding ourselves from progress for fear of hypothetical difficulties. Well... you can but that's a shitty way to live.

You are absolutely right...sometimes too much thinking gets to my head. Thank you!

63 karma

@laurennnn said:
    33, working full time, caring for a sick parent. You CAN do this! Forza!

Wowww that's amazing! Thank you for your support! Are you already in Law school?

• 38 karma

I hate to be that person, but lawyers are anything but in demand. If you don’t have specific plans for your legal career and you don’t have a compelling reason to go to law school, please don’t go to law school. Law school could easily lead to financial ruin. I know many lawyers who are unhappy. Worse, I know many lawyers who are unemployed. The legal market is saturated. If you think you can be just as happy continuing your full-time job, by all means, do it.

• somang49somang49 Member
    11 karma

I'm a 29 year old and doing the same. For me, as much as I'd like to quit my job and study full-time for the LSAT, I can't because I decided I'd like to keep my apartment downtown and don't want to move back home with my parents. I'd need to keep my full-time job. Despite having been at the top of my classes in my undergrad, I had to take a break from the LSAT diagnostic test because it's been a number of years since I had to use my brain 'academically' and it took me 1.5 just to do 1 section when I went in completely cold. I plan to resume LSAT studying once I finish a project management course I'm finishing to get promoted for work and I'm going to give myself the next 1-2 years to try to get a decent LSAT score and get into a decent law school. I think it's important to know your purpose and motivation to pursue a law degree and be steadfast with whatever circumstances you have to juggle. I just try to remind myself it's not a 100 m sprint, it's a marathon and so even if it won't happen as quickly as I'd like to, it's okay! I think giving yourself a short-term and long-term timeline to work with with realistic study schedule would be good! Since it is a marathon, keeping a consistent pace is really important and learning to just enjoy the run itself! :) Don't give up!!

• ASar2021ASar2021 Live Member
    63 karma

I am 35 and I work full time. I took the LSAT in 2019 (scored 159) and in 2020 (scored 162). Registered to take it again in August this year. If I don't get the score I want, I might take it again next year. As cliched as it sounds, age is just a number. I personally think I can handle pressure a lot better now than I did in my 20s. Just keep at it and remember, you will only get older so you cannot let that weigh you down.

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

30 here, working full time/been in a career for 8 years, been studying the LSAT for 2 years and hoping to enter LS in Fall '22. You can do this. Age is just a number, don't let your own limitations on yourself set you back. You've got this, and know there are lots of others out there like you :)

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    869 karma

I am 57 and just finished my 1L year at NYU. It was tougher than I thought it would be but I am glad I pursued it. Not sure if my advice is totally relevant as I am not going to practice law but am just doing it to learn and to keep my brain sharp. Nonetheless, I would say you are never too old to go to any school. I like law school so much that I am trying to convince both of my kids to go to law school at some point in their career. Go in with eyes open, however, as I agree with the post about it being tougher these days to get good jobs in law but don't be deterred as good people are always in demand. It is important to get into the best law school you possibly can and to do well in law school. Do not rush to apply and do not take the LSAT till you are able to get 2-3 points above your goal score. Before you start law school, I would highly recommend the LEEWS system for law school exams. Good luck.

• JC to JDJC to JD Member
    28 karma

Jessica, fortunate to have 31 years under my belt as well. My undergrad was pre-law, and I never pursued it in favor of an MPA. I recently had a child, and she has been my motivation to pursue law school again. So I am trying to get into a part time program and at a low cost (hoping 7sage will educate me enough to get 170+ for a decent scholarship somewhere!) I have worked in the public sector for a few years now and know that I will always regret not trying to go to law school. I wish you the best and just know you are not alone. If that's what you want, then do it.

• rhitt19rhitt19 Member
    34 karma

I'm 30, working full time and studying for the LSAT. Stopping saying you're too old for this! We're not old lol.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd keep my job and work with someone to set up a realistic individual study schedule, but please do what you think is best for you.