Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expanding vocabulary tips?

alexandragracealexandragrace Live Member
edited June 2023 in General 44 karma

Anyone have good tips or software to expand your vocabulary? I have been keeping a running list of definitions of unfamiliar words I have encountered, yet I would still like to expand my vocabulary outside of the LSAT

Comments

• offy0c-1-1offy0c-1-1 Live Member
    edited June 2023 245 karma

Normally what helps me when I come across words that I am not familiar with is that I remember that everything that they may be new to us (or that they want to us to know) they will define it for us (for RC). For LR it helps to know that for the most part they don't really want us to know what the word means but just to keep in mind that there might be a distinction between the things identified (when it comes to words that are related to specific fields like astronomy, physics or so forth). So I think it is great to expand your vocabulary but in case you do come across a word you don't know, it is helpful to keep this in mind.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

If I come across an unfamiliar word in an RC or LR section, I look it up on my phone after I complete the section. I then leave the tab open until I’ve looked at the definition enough to remember it. Every time I open Safari, the tab is there. I get rid of the tab once I’ve memorized the word. I’ve noticed certain abstract/odd words are used repeatedly on the LSAT, so I don’t think there’s a much better vocabulary exercise than just completing old RC and LR sections and making sure to look up words you’re unfamiliar with.

• ovidovid Member
    89 karma

Read a lot, especially from denser publications, academic articles, law journals, etc.

• JayjayjayJayjayjay Member
    32 karma

Might be interesting to take a look at GRE vocab flashcards if you haven't already. Depending on what your preferred language is, there are English-English decks and English-Other Language decks out there.I find there to be a big overlap between words that appears on the GRE vs LSAT, and I manually add words I encounter on the LSAT to the deck and then try to go through the deck every other day.