Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to start

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage

So for the past month and a half I have been attacking LR and LG extremely hard. I've worked my way down to about -5 in LR and -2 or -3 in LG. I have finally seen a bit of improvement in my score thanks to these two sections. I still have one major mountain to climb however. I am sitting constantly at a -8 or -9 in RC. I would really like to see AT LEAST a 4 point improvement in this section consistently. I just am not quite sure where to start.

According to the analytics here on 7Sage my most missed question types are the Author Inference types. I have never really had tooooo much issue with timing. I'm always in the last passage when they announce the 5min mark. I would like to get some what faster, but I think accuracy is something I'm more concerned with. However with LR and LG I was able to see a clear way to attack my weak spots and make improvements. In RC I'm not as clear about how to go into the questions.

I have 7Sage and the RC Bible as well as the LSAT Trainer. Each has helped a little, but I would like maybe some more specific advice on how to lower my missed question count here.

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Speed is a function of accuracy. If you want to get faster at RC, you do so by becoming more accurate. Do a lot of untimed RC passages, and don't move on from them until you're sure you've highlighted the source of/justified every single correct answer. This will give you an idea of what the test makers are looking for you to identify as you read.

Treat RC prep as you might your LG prep. Each passage is a game. Each passage contains secrets that will help you find the correct answers. This approach helped me tremendously.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Speed is a function of accuracy. If you want to get faster at RC, you do so by becoming more accurate. Do a lot of untimed RC passages, and don't move on from them until you're sure you've highlighted the source of/justified every single correct answer. This will give you an idea of what the test makers are looking for you to identify as you read.

Treat RC prep as you might your LG prep. Each passage is a game. Each passage contains secrets that will help you find the correct answers. This approach helped me tremendously.

Oh I really like this idea. LG is by and far my favorite section of the test. I like the idea of approaching RC in the same way. I'll give this a shot thank you!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I am in a similar boat as you. I've primarily focused on LG and LR, and now it's time to turn my attention to RC.

I really like what @goingfor99th said. Accuracy begets speed. That's true for every section.

My plan is to go through 2-4 passages a day in immense detail. Writing out a detailed analysis of each passage. I hope that by doing this deliberately and carefully untimed, I will eventually engrain those habits of reading and speed will follow.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Take a few PTs and go through RC at a very slow phase, dissecting each passage and making your own notes and inferences based on what the author said. Make up your own must be true or must be false statements cause that's what inferences really lead to. Write all the main points, improve your reading speed, and learn what your sweet spot is in terms of speed/accuracy/amount of notes and underlining.

Good luck and really nail down RC! Anticipate that any section on the test could be the hardest.