Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best method for drilling

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So i am just finishing the CC and i am gonna start applying all the methods for LG's that we learnt. I was wondering what the best methods for drilling would be. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

Hey @nathanieljschwartz,

Congrats on finishing the CC! Personally, I found that drilling by game type helped. I used the Cambridge LG by Game Type packets. They had all the games from PT 1-38 sorted by game type. I would do a game timed, compare it to JY's time, watch JY's video, and then do a little write up about the game (what I did right, wrong, etc.). If I really struggled with a game, I would mark it for foolproofing (do 10 copies of the game so you master it). I did that for all the logic games from PT 1-38. By the end, I could go -0 in LG on most PTs.

Do you have access to all the logic games from PT 1-38? I do not think they sell the Cambridge packets anymore. The 7Sage Ultimate+ package includes an LG packet, which is great (did not exist when I started). You might want to consider picking up Ultimate+ for this and many other reasons.

Hopefully, that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thanks so much!! How long do you think i should spend drilling LG,s? And should i devote, say, a month for only drilling LG's? Or should i do it a few days a week and drill reading comp and LR sections during the same time period ? Im just trying to plan when i am gonna start PT's

Very good question. I spent about three weeks just working on LG when I started. It is a really good time investment. I feel that LG is the only section that someone can reliably go -0 almost every time. It really is a skill. Anyone can master it with enough practice.

LG feels like its own thing so I think it is fine for you just to focus on that for a month. LR and RC go well together so I would drill those after you are done with LG. You really want to get LG down solid before you do PTs. I should also mention that once you are done with the hardcore LG drilling, you should still do some logic games every day. It is the easiest section to get rusty on. By doing a few games a day, you keep it fresh. Also, it is a nice break from LR and RC.

When are you taking the LSAT? September?

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

It comes down to brute forcing them. I don't think you should be worried about organizing them by game type and spending too much time worrying about the logistics if you're time constrained.

Print them all out or get them in front of you. And sit there and do them one by one drawing your graphs and answers on a separate printer paper keeping the original clean. Do them over and over and over again until it's a joke.

Once you learn the way these games work, it mostly comes down to drilling it enough where those "ah, I can't believe I didn't notice that" moments are no more. Discipline my friend!! Good luck!!

• dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    edited May 2017 382 karma

I took just over a month to focus solely on LG and that was beneficial for me. In retrospect, I may have been better off throwing in some LR/RC sections to stay fresh. It depends on how you are doing on LG. When I started I was always grasping at straws when I came to a new game and so sitting down and plowing through a bunch of them was the best thing. You may even make some gains just getting distance from LR/RC and honing your logic/lawgic.

When I was focusing on LG I worked my way through the curriculum on 7Sage to get the basics of game types. Then I went back and cycled through PTs 1-35. This was useful because it keeps you on your toes instead of just going through game after game of the same format. Be sure to keep track of your games completed and time/score.

@dcdcdcdcdc brings up a good point about keeping on your toes. While drilling by game type does help you get good at identifying games and the correct boards for them, it can also lead to a false sense of success because you know what games are coming next (all the same type). Thus, whether you drill by game type or just all the games in order from PT 1-35, it is definitely helpful to drill entire LG sections or groups of different game types so you get used to juggling different game types and game boards.

Also, I found it helpful to drill an entire LG section under a strict time limit of 35 minutes. It helps you practice moving between games (e.g. skipping a hard game 3 and coming back), skipping questions, and just getting used to the LG section. You can use some of the PTs from 1-35 for this purpose.

1723 karma

Thanks for all your advice. I plan on taking the September LSAT. So If i drill for a month i will have around 2.5 months of PT. Im only getting around -1/-2 on LR, i think it is mainly my intuition helping me with that. So i only really need to drill my LGs and RCs.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    Im only getting around -1/-2 on LR, i think it is mainly my intuition helping me with that. So i only really need to drill my LGs and RCs.

Wow, you are really good at LR! Then you should definitely focus on drilling LGs! I used a modified version of @Pacifico 's LG Attack Strategy: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1
    I'm constantly -0 on LG now.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:

Im only getting around -1/-2 on LR, i think it is mainly my intuition helping me with that. So i only really need to drill my LGs and RCs.

Wow, you are really good at LR! Then you should definitely focus on drilling LGs! I used a modified version of @Pacifico 's LG Attack Strategy: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1
    I'm constantly -0 on LG now.

An adopted version of @Pacifico's plan is what I also used. This worked super well for me, but don't feel bad if you need to print out 10 copies for the tough games!

Keep on plugging away and you will get there!

Also, check out @"Cant Get Right" 's webinar this Saturday: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11186/so-im-done-with-the-curriculum-now-what-with-sage-josh-saturday-may-27-7pm-edt

It is geared towards those who have finished the CC and looking on how to improve next! I tuned in for a previous version and it was so insightful I will be there again this Saturday!

1723 karma

Will be there!! And yeah my only problem with LR was the time, the methodology was always solid so once i got past the time constraints it is my strongest skill set. I have always struggled with the games, i hope that drilling will straighten out my difficulties.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Will be there!! And yeah my only problem with LR was the time, the methodology was always solid so once i got past the time constraints it is my strongest skill set. I have always struggled with the games, i hope that drilling will straighten out my difficulties.

If timing is your issue perhaps try to drill more timed sections and begin implementing a skipping . strategy. The difference with using a skipping strategy can be the difference between going -5 and -2...

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

The Cambridge drills don't exist anymore, but 7Sage's Ultimate+ package has drills separated by PT#, section, question type, etc. https://7sage.com/enroll/