Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Question about ED @(Gtown and NU) - 7Sage Forum

Question about ED @(Gtown and NU)

yujunda1996yujunda1996 Alum Member

Hello Sages,
I just had a quick thought/question about doing the early decision programs, particularly for Gtown and NU. I am probably going to ED for both or one of the schools as they are my top two choices. My June LSAT score is just below the median at both schools, so I think ED will be advantageous, right? Although I am going to retake in September, I doubt if it's going to be a drastic increase. I noticed that for NU, their website states they do not allow students to apply ED at any other schools, but Gtown has no such rules. Thus, my question is can I apply ED at Gtown before or after applying to NU, if I get rejected at one school before applying to the other? Will they know if I have applied? Has anyone done it before? Anyone in similar situations?

Thanks and good luck to everyone. Happy LSATs!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@yujunda1996 said:
    Hello Sages,
    I just had a quick thought/question about doing the early decision programs, particularly for Gtown and NU. I am probably going to ED for both or one of the schools as they are my top two choices. My June LSAT score is just below the median at both schools, so I think ED will be advantageous, right? Although I am going to retake in September, I doubt if it's going to be a drastic increase. I noticed that for NU, their website states they do not allow students to apply ED at any other schools, but Gtown has no such rules. Thus, my question is can I apply ED at Gtown before or after applying to NU, if I get rejected at one school before applying to the other? Will they know if I have applied? Has anyone done it before? Anyone in similar situations?

Thanks and good luck to everyone. Happy LSATs!

Email them and ask for specifics. Don't cause yourself a possible issue based on the conjecture you may find on here.

Good luck! Both great schools :)

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

There are deadlines for ED applications, you may not get a decision for one school before the ED app deadline for the other school. You'll have to check all of that, and like Alex said, maybe even call them. But either way, I'm not entirely sure if you can ED to more than 1 school, but I'm leaning towards you not being able to.

NU ED is great, it comes with money. But Georgetown ED would most likely not come with a large sum of money, and that school is very expensive. Think it through tbh, ED is risky all around (unless it comes with money like NU), imo.

Best of luck!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1997 karma

If you aren't at median for NUs lsat, you likely won't get their ED acceptance, because as the others mentioned, it comes with a 150k scholarships. It's NUs way of incentivizing stellar candidates (>75%) at choosing their school over some of their slightly higher ranked peers.

ED also severely limits your leverage for negotiating scholarships, so only ED if it's at a school that 1. You couldn't gain admission to normally and 2. Are willing to pay sticker for.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7317 karma

You can't apply ED to Georgetown and then apply ED to another school, unless Georgetown rejects you first. They're explicit about this: https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions-financial-aid/jd-admissions/full-time-program//Apply-Early-Decision.cfm

It's true that you'll decrease your chances of getting scholarship money if you apply ED to Georgetown, but it really does seem to boost your chances. Think about it!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    You can't apply ED to Georgetown and then apply ED to another school, unless Georgetown rejects you first. They're explicit about this: https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions-financial-aid/jd-admissions/full-time-program//Apply-Early-Decision.cfm

It's true that you'll decrease your chances of getting scholarship money if you apply ED to Georgetown, but it really does seem to boost your chances. Think about it!

The master has spoken!!! Thank you, @"David.Busis" I was definitely wondering about this particular situation.

• ofili.lillyofili.lilly Free Trial Member
    42 karma

@"David.Busis" said:

Does ED increase your chances if you're below a school's medians, or is it meant to attract those with stronger applications?

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    edited January 2018 295 karma

I don't think NU allows two EDs either

"You may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one law school with binding contracts."