LSAC Chronograph Ban - this includes LSAT watches

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 3788 karma

Apparently, LSAC has included chronographs as one of the other devices that are banned in the testing center. Does this mean that LSAT specific watches that indicate the time from 0 to 35 minutes are banned as well?

Thread title edited for clarity by admin

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Apparently, LSAC has included chronographs as one of the other devices that are banned in the testing center. Does this mean that LSAT specific watches that indicate the time from 0 to 35 minutes are banned as well?

It appears that way.... Though, that's just what I've been hearing. I'm still interested to see whether they'll ban like a cheap Perfect Score watch you have to adjust yourself AND the MM and the 180 watches alike.

• edited July 2017 16 karma

I looked into this, and this is the reply I got from LSAC:

"The change went into effect starting with the June 2017 LSAT, and the reasoning is simply that the official time is kept by the room supervisor. Timers of any kind are not permitted. As stated, non-digital, analog watches are permitted in the test center. This would be the traditional kind with an hour & a minute hand (seconds hand is fine as well) whose purpose is to tell time & not to time something with a dedicated start/stop functionality. With this in mind, the 180watch would no longer be allowed, however the Casio, Top Tier, and Perfect Score watches would be permitted."

I thought this would be helpful for everyone to know!

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

That's unfortunate, I bought a 180 watch and it has been so helpful during my PTs...

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

Wait, how is the Perfect Score watch $70 cheaper than the 180 Watch AND permitted by LSAC?? Unbelievable

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited July 2017 4196 karma

the perfect score watch is the same crap as the MM and 180 watch, and it's allowed???

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I was going to ask the same thing. The perfect score watch looks like exactly the same thing as the 180 watch...

4196 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:
    I was going to ask the same thing. The perfect score watch looks like exactly the same thing as the 180 watch...

I'm probably going to call them on Monday (unless someone calls before me and posts about it) when I get a chance and ask about the MM watch. I'm going to bring up the fact that the perfect watch is the same thing as the MM/180 watches as well and ask for a reason.. I don't care, I want to know lol.

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma

I just spoke to a person at LSAC, and she said, "the 180 is no longer allowed because of the start/stop function."
    Do you guys have an idea as to why that's a bad thing?

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

@TheLSAT said:
    I just spoke to a person at LSAC, and she said, "the 180 is no longer allowed because of the start/stop function."

Unless It has sound, I'm guessing unfair advantage or people arguing with the proctor over how much time is left? Seems nitpicky to me.

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma

I was thinking that they may have done it for standardization purposes.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

The Perfect Score Watch is cheaper/still allowed because it doesn't function any differently from a regular wrist watch. It has no start/stop/reset feature other than the dial on the side that every regular wrist watch has. The only difference is the clock face, not any of the actual functions/features/moving parts.

4196 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    The Perfect Score Watch is cheaper/still allowed because it doesn't function any differently from a regular wrist watch. It has no start/stop/reset feature other than the dial on the side that every regular wrist watch has. The only difference is the clock face, not any of the actual functions/features/moving parts.

I feel like it's still risky business to use the PS watch though because some proctors are misinformed about certain rules, and may pull some BS saying that it's banned.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

does anyone here not use a watch at all?

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1063 karma

I don't like how the perfect score watch counts backwards. So stupid that they don't allow the 180 watch. What is the reasoning? The reasoning has to be more than it has a start/stop function. Why is that a bad thing?

@kkrystyna said:

I definitely do. But I'd say the way you utilize a watch and the way you time manage both with and without looking at a watch evolves over the course of your prep. If you're in the beginning stages I wouldn't worry too much about it since you'll naturally become faster as your understanding improves.

708 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    I don't like how the perfect score watch counts backwards. So stupid that they don't allow the 180 watch. What is the reasoning? The reasoning has to be more than it has a start/stop function. Why is that a bad thing?

@kkrystyna said:

I definitely do. But I'd say the way you utilize a watch and the way you time manage both with and without looking at a watch evolves over the course of your prep. If you're in the beginning stages I wouldn't worry too much about it since you'll naturally become faster as your understanding improves.

No, I'm not in the beginning stages. It gives me anxiety looking at a watch I feel like I have a pretty good internal clock and know how much time I have left if that makes sense.

1063 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@RafaelBernard said:

@kkrystyna said:

No, I'm not in the beginning stages. It gives me anxiety looking at a watch I feel like I have a pretty good internal clock and know how much time I have left if that makes sense.

Ah I see. Yeah that makes sense. I just use mine to have a general sense of where I'm at and to force myself to skip a question if I have to.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I feel like it's still risky business to use the PS watch though because some proctors are misinformed about certain rules, and may pull some BS saying that it's banned.

Yeah, that's not at all an unreasonable fear. And honestly, a cheap $10 watch with a bezel is hard to beat. Everything else is for gear-heads.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@RafaelBernard said:

@kkrystyna said:

I do not use a watch. Especially during PT. I have one that I can use and have it with me, but I hardly look at it.

I am the same way, I'll start trying to calculate time in my head and not paying attention to the actual test.

The one area where I feel like I would look at the watch is during RC. Sometimes I get sucked into a passage and just do not know how much time I am using up. Other than that I avoid it completely.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited July 2017 2426 karma

Well, I spent $50 winning an auction on Ebay over a 180 watch a while back thinking I'll need it one day when I'm finally ready, and now it seems like it was a complete waste of money and I can't even sell it cuz who is gonna buy it when it's banned?? And i can't sell it to normal ppl either cuz it only reads 35 mins..lol The only good thing came out of that bidding is that i accidently found out the person who was selling the watch was a 7sager as well! He was using terms like "T14" in one of our messages, and I was like, wait a minute, you kinda sound like a 7sager when you say "T14" and he goes: "are you a 7sager as well?? Man, I owe J.Y. that guy my acceptance letter....." just thought would be a funny story to share if nothing else. :)

• tlathher12tlathher12 Alum Member
    26 karma

just want to clarify this. so this watch is still allowed right?
    https://www.perfectscorewatch.com/products/perfect-score-watch-version-3-for-the-lsat-exam

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Just as an FYI it was not on the tickets for June, so they were allowed. We should wait to see what Sept tickets say.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheLSAT said:

No, but damn, it's confirmed now..... Darn it!

I would guess they are just paranoid about emerging technologies. It also just adds a hard and fast rule that leaves less discretion to the proctors.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tlathher12 said:
    just want to clarify this. so this watch is still allowed right?
    https://www.perfectscorewatch.com/products/perfect-score-watch-version-3-for-the-lsat-exam

Like @TheMikey said -- and I own one of these -- I don't think it's even worth the risk. The $10/$15 dollar Casio watches work great. It takes a very small amount of time to get used to; instead of pushing a button you move a bezel... Big deal. I almost prefer these cheaper ones now just because I've been so paranoid that my 180 watch would crap out on me due to poor reviews.

The perfect score watch was actually decent, but for the life of me, I had so much trouble pulling the pin out and adjusting the time back after a section.

@TheMikey said it best: These crazy LSAT watches are for gear heads, lmao.

Noe let's get back to talking pencils...... ;)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"Alex Divine" The fact that the Casio Watches have a moving bezel with minutes marked on it doesn't make it chronographs?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Alex Divine" The fact that the Casio Watches have a moving bezel with minutes marked on it doesn't make it chronographs?

I'm pretty sure the independent second "sweep" hand is it is referred to makes it a chronograph. I could be wrong and if that's the case, then Jeez. I guess I'll be using the $10 Casio, lol

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited July 2017 13940 karma

Hey guys, I added the following update to the lesson on How to Keep Time.

Update: As of July 2017, the LSAC has banned chronographs. Chronographs are watches where you can click a button to start a timer and another click will stop / reset the watch so you can easily start another timer. Many LSAT watches and timers are chronographs - in fact, that's their major selling point - and are therefore banned.

Also I edited the thread title so the message is clear.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

Update: As of July 2017, the LSAC has banned chronographs. Chronographs are watches where you can click a button to start a timer and another click will stop / reset the watch so you can easily start another timer. Many LSAT watches and timers are chronographs - in fact, that's their major selling point - and are therefore banned.

Wow. So it IS confirmed. I now kind of feel sorry for those who are making LSAT watches.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

Wow. So it IS confirmed. I now kind of feel sorry for those who are making LSAT watches.

Yeah -- that sucks. I know the guys behind the MM watch said they invested quite a bit of $ into that brand. There must be some reasoning behind this and I'm certainly curious to find out what it is and why now?

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited July 2017 609 karma

doublepost...

• tlathher12tlathher12 Alum Member
    26 karma

whats the best watch to use if not the perfect watch?

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I used a cheap Casio watch with a rotating bezel, and I liked it better than watches with a "reset" timer button anyway.

Also, let's appreciate the absurdity of this rule for a second. A group of people at the LSAC decided to meet for a day and update the watch policy...how bizarre. God forbid a test taker trying to keep track of how much time he or she has left in a section...

• heatherfaithxxheatherfaithxx Free Trial Member
    13 karma

To be clear, is my perfect score watch okay?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@"Accounts Playable" said:
    I used a cheap Casio watch with a rotating bezel, and I liked it better than watches with a "reset" timer button anyway.

Would you mind sharing/providing a link to the watch you used? Thanks!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Why can't they have a proctor display the time digitally in a spot where all the test takers can see?
    Splitting hairs on watches is ridiculous.

708 karma

Also, let's appreciate the absurdity of this rule for a second. A group of people at the LSAC decided to meet for a day and update the watch policy...how bizarre. God forbid a test taker trying to keep track of how much time he or she has left in a section...

Lol totally agree. absurd

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

@JustDoIt said:

Would you mind sharing/providing a link to the watch you used? Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-7EV-Sport-Resin-Watch/dp/B005JVP0FU/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1500916706&sr=8-23&keywords=casio+watch+bezel

I couldn't find the exact one, but this was the closest. It's a few dollars more expensive than the one I bought, too.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

I just spoke with an LSAC rep. For anyone specifically wanting to know if the LSAT Mastermind watch is banned, it is. The LSAC rep reiterated that watches must function to tell time, not a start/stop function only. I inquired as to whether a list of "approved" and "banned" watches will be compiled, to which the representative spoke with a supervisor who said that they are working on such a list currently. I subsequently asked if this list would be published prior to the Sept. 17' LSAT, and they were intending to do so. Whether that happens or not.... only time will tell, no pun intended. Seems to me if you have a question about a specific watch, you are best to call LSAC yourself. Btw, I asked what the cause was for the policy change.... the rep said that it was due to LSAT test takers challenging the time given by the proctors. Abuse a privilege and LSAC taketh away that privilege.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

wow shaha this sucks i bough the mastermind watchfor my june lsat and i loved it..

• MatNiagaraMatNiagara Alum Member
    12 karma

@kkrystyna said:

There was a small discussion on the Thinking LSAT podcast about the use of a watch. One of the hosts said "I'm not strongly for or against one. Just check it once or twice on a section if you do."

The other had a funny response. He's anti-watch. The reason? "The correct answer to the question isn't on the watch."

I'd been completing the individual question type drills on here using the stopwatch on my phone. Just entering PTs now. Guess the rule change came at a great time for me since I'm just now looking into buying a watch. I'm gonna toy with it and see if it benefits me whatsoever.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

i need a watch with no seconds hand because believe it or not in a quiet room i can hear the ticking and during a test i feel like throwing the watch agaisnt the proctor, rubbing number 2 pencil smudge on my face like war paint and using the RC section as a torture device. so any one know of a good watch with no seconds hand ?

• bncgjrbncgjr Free Trial Member
    1 karma

I don't understand what the big deal is about watches... There was a large digital clock on the wall right in front of us the whole time when I took the LSAT in June in Phoenix Arizona. Unless people don't know how to do the math to figure out what time the test is ending??

3788 karma

@bncgjr It is common for alot of testing centers to not have clocks on display, as was the case with my center

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Also agree with this, lmao. I never thought of it in this way before, but that must have been what happened.

I also have come to prefer the rotating bezel. I think it is just paranoia from reading reviews of 180 watches the stopped working and whatnot.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bncgjr said:
    I don't understand what the big deal is about watches... There was a large digital clock on the wall right in front of us the whole time when I took the LSAT in June in Phoenix Arizona. Unless people don't know how to do the math to figure out what time the test is ending??

Definitely have heard of people having centers with no clocks, let alone large digital ones. Also sometimes depending on where you are sitting, the clocks can be hard to see. You also learn to practice with a watch, this way you don't waste time looking up, remembering where the clock is, and then back down. But, yeah, the LSAT watches seemed to have gotten overhyped. I'm guilty of being obsessed with pencils for this test so I can't say anything, lol.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

I have taken the lsat twice at two different centers, neither of which had clocks in the room.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

My center didn't have a clock in the room (and the proctor accidentally called an LR section 10 mins early lol) but I did have a very graphic depiction of Jesus' crucifixion directly to my left. I was unsure if that was a good or bad omen at the time (ended up being a good one).

3788 karma

I emailed lsac with the lsat watch i have that goes from 0-35 minutes and they informed me that this LSAT specific watch is fine for use.

1063 karma

I emailed lsac with the lsat watch i have that goes from 0-35 minutes and they informed me that this LSAT specific watch is fine for use.

which LSAT watch is this?

1063 karma

The thing I dislike about my casio watch is that the rotating bezel only has tick marks from 0-15.