Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I get some perspective?

NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member

So, this might not be benefiting this community overall... But I've been really wanting to talk about it for the sake of my sanity...
I finished my undergraduate in cello performance in 5 years---University of North Texas. For all of those years I received full tuition plus a little bit of stipend from school... I did well the first three semester but life took a turn for the worse beginning of my 4th semester... My parents business was beginning to fail and I had to jump in and help while trying to maintain the level of skill to keep my scholarship on stop of taking regular load of class work at school. I calculated the amount of time I spent practicing, working, studying, going to classes, rehearsing, and commuting, and it was around 70-80 hrs a week. Parents business eventually failed and I was failing courses left and right. GPA took a plunge from 3.5 to 2.5 (at my lowest). Got burnt out and horribly depressed. Bit the bullet HARD and raised my GPA to 3.2 but failed to meet my major professor's expectations(?) on cello so I ended up with a 2.99 instead of a 3.2 (I guess the more you do well, higher the expectation). Since last December, I have been introduced to the field of law by a family friend and saw that it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE to tread these waters. I got 154 for my diagnostics test in.... I think March? so that nudged me into proceeding with purchasing the Ultimate+ to really sink my mind into this world. Sorry, I tried to keep this as short as possible...

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense or not (I'm a bit drained from the level 4 weakening questions) but I was hoping to get some perspective on my chances at getting into a tier 2 law school? I mean I don't even ask for T-14... My DREAM is SMU Dedman and I think I can do it if I work hard to get at least a 162... or should I quit while I am 'ahead'?

I'm ready for the blows.

Comments

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

First off, I know how life can truly get in the way. I'm incredibly proud of you for flipping things back in to your direction.

With that being said, I have a couple questions. Is your final GPA 2.99? What is your last PT score?

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Yup, the final GPA is 2.99. I haven't taken any PT's yet since the diagnostic...

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

With an addendum and an LSAT score somewhat higher than their average, Dedman would surely consider.
    Worry less and focus on providing them with an LSAT score that better demonstrates your abilities than a bad semester or two did.
    Goood luck!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Don't take this as the gospel, but law school admissions is largely a numbers game. That being said, you don't need an impeccable GPA + impeccable LSAT to get in anywhere - you may just need one or the other.

Think of it this way, most law schools play the numbers game because it's the one criteria they can really manipulate to move up in the rankings (an LSAC worker gave a great talk about this at UVA; it's on YouTube if you want to check it out). Reputation accounts for 40% *** of law school rankings, the rest being student evaluations, class sizes, etc. Out of all these variables, GPA/LSAT percentiles are the easiest to manipulate.

THAT BEING SAID! Notice how law schools RARELY publish AVERAGE GPAs or LSATs. They publish PERCENTILES! For a basic stats summary, a 25th percentile is the score that 25% of people did worse than, 50th percentile (median) that 50% did worse than, 75th percentile that 75% did worse than.

**The most important thing to note is that percentiles are NOT (very) VULNERABLE TO OUTLIERS. AKA - while accepting a 2.0 GPA may bring a law school's average GPA from a 3.7 to a 3.4 (exaggeration), it might only bring the median down to a 3.68, if bring it down at all. Same goes with LSAT, but a good LSAT score is HARDER to find than a good GPA (due to grade inflation, easier schools and so on and so forth). Consequently, many law schools are willing to forgive a low GPA (because they can easily mask it) for a higher LSAT score.

***One of my friends had a 2.7 uGPA, but got a 177 on the LSAT. He now has a full ride to UVA - a top 10 law school.

I'm not saying you have to get a 177, but if you can get considerably higher than your law school of choice's median (and preferably 75th percentile) LSAT score, your chances of admission are very good. For reference, UVA's median GPA is a 3.86; LSAT median is a 169.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Hello fellow super spliter. I am in the same boat. I have a 2.77 cumulative GPA. My diag was a 152. I spent a year studying and my average PT score is now a 169. I owe it entirely to this community and 7sage. My advice, don't worry about school yet. Worry about mastering this test. It is key for people like you and me. All else comes secondary!

@Mellow_Z We got another super spliter here!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Hello fellow super spliter. I am in the same boat. I have a 2.77 cumulative GPA. My diag was a 152. I spent a year studying and my average PT score is now a 169. I owe it entirely to this community and 7sage. My advice, don't worry about school yet. Worry about mastering this test. It is key for people like you and me. All else comes secondary!

@Mellow_Z We got another super spliter here!

Oh shit we are gathering. Also in the 2.7~ GPA range. Don't lose hope. With a 170+ you still have the possibility of getting into the lower T13 with scholarship. You have a decent gpa addendum, which helps. The other thing you can do to help your odds is to get work experience and distance yourself from your GPA. Show you matured, and show how your experiences have changed you (for the better) from when you were in UG. Head up!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

You ABSOLUTELY have a chance and from what I know about SMU (currently living in Dallas) they won't write you off. Make sure you write and addendum and score high on the LSAT. If you score high enough with a good admissions package you may even get into a T14.

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Thank you all. I will continue to study hard. You guys are amazing.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@"nicole.hopkins" got into Northwestern with significant scholarship money on a 2.9 GPA with a 170 LSAT. Top of her class going into 2L too. A killer LSAT score goes a long, long way.

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    @"nicole.hopkins" got into Northwestern with significant scholarship money on a 2.9 GPA with a 170 LSAT. Top of her class going into 2L too. A killer LSAT score goes a long, long way.

Is that so?! Will if that isn't inspiring then I don't know what is! Thanks for that this morning :)