Law/LSAT-support leisure activities

TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
in General 91 karma

For when you know you need a break but just...can't...let...go.

Your favorite LSAT mantras and mnemonics? (for long commutes to and from work) (Do not say "ViewSTAMP". I am so done with PowerScore)

Law and Order?

Movies. I'm on a list and some look better than others. Next on my list is My Cousin Vinny.

Any app recommendations for logic practice or word puzzles? (to boost your confidence in the morning, over breakfast...or replace compulsive checking of the news)

Songs? (I fought the Law - The Clash, The Law of the Land - The Temptations)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

I think just learning to love to read RC passages and do games has done me a lot of good. I literally try to do games for fun now. Admittedly, it was not the most fun thing to do at first. Though, after some time, it became something I actually enjoy now. I love learning new things and RC passages seem to quench that thirst. Games are also just fun puzzles when you think about it.

I don't think anything else is as helpful as actually just working on parts of the actual test.

Also, LOL. I, too, am done with Powerscore's ViewSTAMP. 7Sage's Memory Method and Low-High Resolution summary technique will do you much more good. :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

ViewSTAMP, lol. I'd forgotten about that. I don't have much law related activities for you, although My Cousin Vinny is outstanding. UChicago I think has a Vincent Gambini Society or something, lol.

I like to get away from all this when I get the chance. I suggest having a few bars where the bartenders know you, getting out into nature, doing something with your hands, and hanging out with old friends.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I started watching the West Wing randomly and laaaahv it ... if you're interested in Con Law it's a good respite from studying that will still keep you in the game while being entertained.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Cartoons may help. Polar opposite of what we're learning.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    edited September 2017 861 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I started watching the West Wing randomly and laaaahv it ... if you're interested in Con Law it's a good respite from studying that will still keep you in the game while being entertained.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?
    :wink:

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

12 Angry Men - Henry Fonda - Classic movie, and one of my all time favorites. (black and white)

3679 karma

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

Post hoc, ergo proper hoc?

Another West Wing fan! :smiley:

861 karma

@tringo335 said:

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

Yes!! I binged all 7 seasons last fall. Definitely my favorite TV show! I recommend checking out the West Wing Weekly podcast, as well. They do episode-by-episode discussions and usually invite guests involved with the show (cast/crew), lawyers, and policymakers.

3679 karma

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

Yes!! I binged all 7 seasons last fall. Definitely my favorite TV show! I recommend checking out the West Wing Weekly podcast, as well. They do episode-by-episode discussions and usually invite guests involved with the show (cast/crew), lawyers, and policymakers.

saw waaa! definitely will :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

OK.
    OK.
    What's next?

TWW is SO GOOD! :smiley:

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

Liar Liar with Jim Carrey.

Greatest legal film of all time. Not opinion, just facts.

861 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

@xtinextine said:

@tringo335 said:

OK.
    OK.
    What's next?

TWW is SO GOOD! :smiley:

FYI, I just did the signal. :wink:

I want to go to one of their live recordings so bad!

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I'm surprised no one mentioned suits????

8392 karma

@sillllyxo said:

SUITS! Yes, hahaha! Love it.

861 karma

@sillllyxo said:

Suits is good!! Though I haven't seen the newest season.

When I took the LSAT in September for the first time, I was like....yeah this isn't like Suits at all lol. You don't walk up to the front and hand in your test :lol:

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@tringo335 said:

I've never watched West Wing. I've watched House of Cards. That's saucy Anti-Law.

3679 karma

@TinaTheLlama said:

@tringo335 said:

I've never watched West Wing. I've watched House of Cards. That's saucy Anti-Law.

HOC of GOAT

3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:

It is a magnificent work of art.

2983 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Jim Carrey is a national treasure. He's a weirdo nowadays, but back in the day, he was churning out hits on the reg.

3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Jim Carrey is a national treasure. He's a weirdo nowadays, but back in the day, he was churning out hits on the reg.

Oh my gosh so weird. Did you see he's an artist now? The art is actually really good but it's still like... wut. ?

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Oh my gosh so weird. Did you see he's an artist now? The art is actually really good but it's still like... wut. ?

Anyone can make good art. The art market is just an aestheto-political value machine with limited space behind the reigns.

Jerry Seinfeld does a Riding in Cars With Comedians episode with Jim Carrey - it's nice. (btw he also does one with former president Barack Obama)

2983 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Yeah, that was crazy. I had no clue he was into art. Same thing with George W. Bush

8392 karma

OH serious recommendation! Sudoku is great for keeping the logical brain up while doing something not specifically LSAT-related. It's a really similar pattern of reasoning. I think it helps me a lot especially with sequencing games.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

Thanks for the recommendations, folks! :smiley: