Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Quiz

akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌

Hi everyone,

As @Sami did recently, I made an analogous argument for an LR stimulus I had troubles with. But I am not sure if I did correctly, so I would like to hear what you guys think. Let me know which answer choice you think is correct :blush:

The playwright’s newest play received a negative review from the city’s most influential newspaper. Therefore, the review will not as positively affect the box office performance in the opening week as would the unpublished review by the other critic, who has been favorable to his previous plays; people who have a negative impression of the play are unlikely to pay the standard ticket price.

The argument relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Most theatergoers who see the play on the will do so because of the review appeared in the city’s most influential newspaper.
(B) The unpublished review by the other critic would not have been negative.
(C) Most people who go to see the play and pay the standard ticket price will not have gone to the play as a result of the review appeared in the city’s most influential newspaper.
(D) If the unpublished review written by the other critic were used instead of the review appeared in the city’s most influential newspaper, almost all of who went to see the play would pay the standard ticket price.
(E) Most people who pay the standard ticket price do not miss a performance of the play in the opening week.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

B! Do I get a cookie?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

B!

And I know EXACTLY which LR question this is because I remember it took me like 4 mins to get it right under time with going back at the end and was a bitch! lol.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Yaaay @ Akistotle

Great Job.

@LSATcantwin How about a chocolate chip cookie? :D

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Sami said:
    Yaaay @ Akistotle

Great Job.

@LSATcantwin How about a chocolate chip cookie? :D

They are actually my favorite...I can eat an entire tray to myself with no regret.

https://media.tenor.com/images/c8b3ee7b928f0572190334c33c8b5461/tenor.gif

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited September 2017 10774 karma
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I'm fairly confident I have this original question in my notes. Nice job with the example above. I believe you have constructed a problem that contains a similar assumption.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Necessary Assumption Question

Premise: The playwright’s newest play received a negative review from the city’s most influential newspaper.
    Premise: People who have a negative impression of the play are unlikely to pay the standard ticket price.

Conclusion: Therefore, the review will not as positively affect the box office performance in the opening week as would the unpublished review by the other critic, who has been favorable to his previous plays.

(A) We don't know why they are going to see the play; out of scope.
    (B) Correct!! Plus this passes the negation test.
    (C) Same reasoning as A; wrong.
    (D) This isn't necessary to assume. This is tricky though. I can't think of a good reason to eliminate this one...Can anyone give some insight here?
    (E) We don't know this! Totally out of scope.

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

The word "unpublished" caught my attention. How could it affect something if no one read about it? So I was anticipating for something along those lines. The answer choices unfortunately didn't have that, but here's my analysis of the answer choices:

(A) We don't know the reason most people went to see the play. Maybe most of those theatregoers went because they live nearby. Who knows. It's also possible that these theatregoers' decision to see the play were not at all affected by the review.

(B) If the unpublished review had been negative, we can't definitely say, without additional information at least, which negative effect is greater, thereby hurting our argument. The unpublished review has to be at least a little more positive than the review by the most influential newspaper. This is correct.

(C) It's possible that most people went to see the play because of the review by the influential newspaper. Just because the review is not as positively affecting the box office performance does not mean most people cannot go see the play because of the review.

(D) This gives us a conditional statement. We don't have anything to trigger the sufficient condition, and we also don't know whether the necessary condition would follow.

(E) Most people who pay the standard ticket price can have many other characteristics too, not just not missing a performance of the play in the opening week. They can love to read newspapers, watch TV, etc. None of these are necessary for the argument.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited September 2017 9372 karma

Thank you everyone for answering and thank you very much for great explanations, @btownsquee and @dml277!

My analogy may have been too similar to the original question. I first tried to analogize to cats or some animals but then I could not make wrong answer choices. lol

P.S. Here you go, @LSATcantwin :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :lol:
    https://media.tenor.com/images/e953d3999f84ac639994d8f71ca6a7a4/tenor.gif

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1207 karma

@dml277 It didn't register in my mind that C is a conditional statement. This is a really good point. Thanks!

• 251 karma

Does making analogous argument help?