Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tinnitus special accommodations, and BRing.

Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
in General 903 karma

This may sound odd, but yesterday I took PT 60 and at the end of the test couldn't hear anything due to the ringing in my ears. I'm certain its from sitting for a long amount of time in absolute silence. I have some documented hearing loss from my time in the military but yesterday during and after the test was bad. During the test it got so bad that it felt like I had just gone to the range and shot for a while with no ear protection, and afterwards my ears range for the rest of the day. My question is have any of you ever gotten special accommodation for something like this, even just to bring a fan to the testing room, and if so how did you go about doing it?

Also, how long on average do you all spend BRing a full PT? Its taken me half the day to do 1 section of LR cookie cutter review. Im afraid that Im taking too long during BR and possibly overthinking things. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hm, that's interesting about the tinnitus. I have a touch of it too, but usually not enough to bother me. (Not from military, but... from a Hanson concert. True story lol. Don't judge me.)

Have you tried taking a PT in some place that's not absolutely silent, like at a library? That's where I prefer to do mine so there are a bit of distractions. My thinking here is that, while it will be quiet in the room, it won't be 100% silent like an empty living room/bedroom would be. There will be paper shuffling, people sneezing, etc. Would that make a difference for you? Just the nature of having a lot of people in a room, it won't be complete silence.

And for BRing, it varies how long it takes me but it can definitely be the better part of a whole weekend day for a full test. I don't think there's such a thing as taking too long to BR. That's really the process where you are learning. You're examining questions and thinking about why you hesitated, or maybe were completely lost even, and working through that barrier. It really can only benefit you. So I would say not to rush it. But you also shouldn't necessarily be taking a ton of time on questions that you very extremely confident on. So if you think that might be taking up too much time, then skip over the questions that you felt 100% certain on.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Hm, that's interesting about the tinnitus. I have a touch of it too, but usually not enough to bother me. (Not from military, but... from a Hanson concert. True story lol. Don't judge me.)

HAHAHA! MMMBop was the jam back in the day no ones judging!

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

Thank you for your Service:)

It took some time for me to realize that I had tinnitus - taking PTs in quiet/silent place is when it became unbearably distracting and went to Dr to confirm diagnosis. Crazy that the hearing loss is in different sound levels in each ear, I joke that sometimes I can get them in to harmony so it is not as distracting??

I did not pursue accommodations but you can check with LSAC. One thing that I did find incredibly helpful is determining the best test center to take the LSAT - My test site is in a small room with noise cancelling machines placed strategically throughout the area to cover low level noises during the test which helped over-ride the ringing in my ears.

I agree with @"Leah M B" that BR takes as long as it takes, that is where the gains are made in score potential:)

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I agree with what has been said. Try taking some PTs in mostly-quiet areas, and see if that makes a difference. If you are concerned with the unpredictability of the condition, I would try to get an accommodation for "stop the clock breaks". You would be able to get up and do some things to try to make it better. I'm not sure what those things, are but hopefully they can work in the moment.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

Thanks everyone! I will check into the stop the clock breaks.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 13286 karma

One time, when on range, I couldn't find my ear plugs but wanted to shoot for practice. I smoked two cigarettes and plugged my ears with the butts. 0/10 would never do that again. No one noticed though, and they kinda worked....

Not a helpful comment, just was reminded of it. The things us Marines do....

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    One time, when on range, I couldn't find my ear plugs but wanted to shoot for practice. I smoked two cigarettes and plugged my ears with the butts. 0/10 would never do that again. No one noticed though, and they kinda worked....

And you say that your life is boring??

13286 karma

@uhinberg said:

@LSATcantwin said:

And you say that your life is boring??

https://media.tenor.com/images/c5e4eb812b15dac47154875b05f474a8/tenor.gif

903 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

lol, you're that one guy!!

13286 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

At least I wasn't the guy who wouldn't stop asking questions during the safety brief before a 96....

903 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

At least I wasn't the guy who wouldn't stop asking questions during the safety brief before a 96....

Lol, there was always that one guy!