Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preptests were 170-174, got a 155, what do I do?

ABCjordanABCjordan Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 59 karma

Hi there,

I had severe test day anxiety and froze up during the test. I just got my score and its a 155. My preptests were solidly 170-174. I have a 3.98 GPA from a top college. I am applying for accommodations for my next test. Does an initial 155 ruin my chances of going to a top school (Harvard, Columbia, Stanford) if I'm able to score a 170+ with accommodations the second time around?

Thanks,
Claire

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

No

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I had a similar situation when I freaked out my first 2 takes if I'm being honest. No it won't run your chances at getting into top schools, although Yale has been known to care about multiple scores. Other schools don't though. You'll be fine.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Hopefully there’s not an issue with your score and why you didn’t apply for accommodations before this test. I think your score is considered average so they may ask why you now need it.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4423 karma

@clairealettabrady said:
    Hi there,

I had severe test day anxiety and froze up during the test. I just got my score and its a 155. My preptests were solidly 170-174. I have a 3.98 GPA from a top college. I am applying for accommodations for my next test. Does an initial 155 ruin my chances of going to a top school (Harvard, Columbia, Stanford) if I'm able to score a 170+ with accommodations the second time around?

Thanks,
    Claire

The top score is the main factor alongside GPA. However, they will see both scores. Therefore, an increase from a 155 to a 170 plus will merit an addendum and explanation of how your anxiety prevented you from performing and how you overcame it. I wouldn't say it ruins your chances.

I am not sure why you think you will get accomodations though. They probably won't and definitely shouldn't give an accomodation to you on the basis of doing more poorly than you expected on the LSAT. Unless you have some legitimate reason don't seek accomodations.

Finally, why do you think accomodations are what will help? If your 170-174s were timed tests then you already clearly can take the test and score well in the normal time (either because you don't have a genuine disability or in spite of it). I assume the best case is that you score 180 untimed. A 15 to 20 point drop would still put you out of range of those schools. So I think you should get the accomodations if you have a legitimate reason, but you should try to more clearly address the problem. The actual test day conditions caused you to panic which means you were not effectively simulating something about them. Take PTs in noisy environments, when sleep deprived, when you are stressed from school or work, with some sort of stake to them, ect. If one of these things leads to a dramatic drop, then work on the skill of PTing under that source of stress.

Additionally, many 7sagers have found meditation a helpful tool to keep them in the right frame of mind on test day.

• SLREVIEWLSATSLREVIEWLSAT Alum Member
    edited December 2017 49 karma

What is an “accommodation”? Is it the same as writing a petition to schools for your February score to be considered for this year-round application?

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@"shanghuimei.li" said:
    What is an “accommodation”? Is it the same as writing a petition to schools for your February score to be considered for this year-round application?

It means you get extra time on the test. From what I understand, the process to get accommodations isn't easy.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"shanghuimei.li" said:

No, accomodations are when disabled test takers are given certain things to make the test easier for them to take in order to accomodate their disability.

The most commonly sought one and the one there is the most concern about non-disabled testers cheating and claiming disability to get is extra time. However, other accomodations include printing the test with a larger font, being able to take the test in a less distracting environment, ect.

• edited December 2017 524 karma

@clairealettabrady From what I've been told by admissions officers, it shouldn't hurt your chances. Schools care about and report your top score. You will most likely have to write an addendum, but your situation sounds easily explainable and this would also be a good opportunity for you to turn a negative into a positive -- you scored below your ability the first time, but then you can tell them you overcame your test anxiety and scored well. So go get that 170+!

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@xtinextine said:

@"shanghuimei.li" said:

It means you get extra time on the test. From what I understand, the process to get accommodations isn't easy.

it isn't hard to get. just costly..

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 582 karma

I don't mean to minimize your issues in any way--but meditation really helped me. I agree with @"Seeking Perfection" above...I had enormous trouble with nerves on the September LSAT, and meditation made all the difference. I highly recommend Headspace. I've scoffed at meditation for years, but I was cool as a cucumber at the December LSAT.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

@cal270 said:
    I don't mean to minimize your issues in any way--but meditation really helped me. I agree with @"Seeking Perfection" above...I had enormous trouble with nerves on the September LSAT, and meditation made all the difference. I highly recommend Headspace. I've scoffed at meditation for years, but I was cool as a cucumber at the December LSAT.

What is Headspace? Where can I find this?

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited December 2017 645 karma

Scoring below your PT average is a common problem and doesn't necessarily qualify you for accommodations. Please apply if you feel you need them, but they are difficult to get when you've already sat the LSAT and scored above the average (around 153).

Please don't take this the wrong way... but your post suggests that you feel entitled to a 170. Worrying about Harvard or Stanford right now isn't helpful. Focus on the LSAT, get the best score you can.

My advice is to take proctored PTs at a test prep center. This will feel more realistic than a home PT. Then you can practice dealing with the feelings of panic and anxiety.

To answer your question, no it won't doom you to have a 155 and a 170+ on your record. But it would warrant an addendum explaining why you feel the 155 doesn't accurately reflect your abilities.

• jaswaffojaswaffo Free Trial Member
    27 karma

I was the same way. I scored a 157 first go and received accommodations for my social anxiety and went up 10 points so I completely understand what you’re going through. Don’t get too much in your head, just focus on what you know you can do and kill your next test. And I also wrote about the conditions that gave me accommodations (not necessarily receiving accomadtions itself) in my diversity statement/addendum, so maybe do that too to explain the score jump