Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until -1/-0 on LG?

OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
in Logic Games 2531 karma

Hey guys,

Trying to get a sense of how long it usually takes someone to achieve consistent -1/-0 on logic games. How many games from early tests did you do, how many attempts for each game, how many PT's before you started seeing perfect LG scores etc.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@ohnoeshalpme said:
    Hey guys,

Trying to get a sense of how long it usually takes someone to achieve consistent -1/-0 on logic games. How many games from early tests did you do, how many attempts for each game, how many PT's before you started seeing perfect LG scores etc.

Really depends on the person. Also it depends on the difficulty of the games section.
    I officially got a -8 on the December 2017 LG. I got a -2 on the September 2017 games.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I believe I am a bit of an outlier, but it took me over 2,000 total games over 17 months to get my first fresh -0 under 34 minutes in control of the entire section. During that process I got several -1s and -2s and a few -3s on fresh sections. I started barely being able to correctly answer more than 1 question on the entire set. I have heard of people doing similar things with their improvement over shorter time periods. There are some games I have done 25+ times. I carried games in my wallet to do anywhere I was, I did games blindfolded while my wife read the rules to me and I talked her through the set up and questions without looking: trying to hold the pieces in my mind.

Getting your first -0 on a fresh section is a great feeling. Sustaining that -0/-1 over several sections is super tough, for me at least. I still don't think I am a true master of games. I think I am like a purple belt: competent/ fairly confident, but not elite level (black belt). If it's the Lord's will, I will be at that elite level by June. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu_ranking_system

David

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    I believe I am a bit of an outlier, but it took me over 2,000 total games over 17 months to get my first fresh -0 under 34 minutes in control of the entire section. During that process I got several -1s and -2s and a few -3s on fresh sections. I started barely being able to correctly answer more than 1 question on the entire set. I have heard of people doing similar things with their improvement over shorter time periods. There are some games I have done 25+ times. I carried games in my wallet to do anywhere I was, I did games blindfolded while my wife read the rules to me and I talked her through the set up and questions without looking: trying to hold the pieces in my mind.

Getting your first -0 on a fresh section is a great feeling. Sustaining that -0/-1 over several sections is super tough, for me at least. I still don't think I am a true master of games. I think I am like a purple belt: competent/ fairly confident, but not elite level (black belt). If it's the Lord's will, I will be at that elite level by June. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu_ranking_system

David

Sorry to get off topic, but David you a BJJ practitioner? As my exam date neared, I became an absolute scaredy cat in the gym.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@10000019 Yes, been following/training on and off for years. Love BJJ. What about you?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

It is completely dependent on the person. LG has always been my strength. It took me about a month and a half to start seeing -0/-1 and then about another month to consistently score there. On the Sept 2016 test (virius game) I went -3. I spent another month working on oddball games. So I would say total it took me about 4 months to get it where I was comfortable.

I went -0 on the Sept 2017 test and -1 on the Dec 2017 test.

One thing I personally noticed about logic games is there will be a moment where it starts to really click. Like, you’ll make inferences super fast and not even really know you are doing it. When I started to feel and see that is when I’d say I got comfortable with them.

Most importantly don’t get frustrated. Keep plugging away at LG, they are learnable and you will get it, I promise!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

@ohnoeshalpme said:
    Hey guys,

I started out with about -14 LG and had -0 on test day.

I studied 'full-time' from the end of September '16 to June '17, and took February completely off. I probably did somewhere between 1000-1200 LG in different formats, timed and untimed. In practice, I was consistently scoring -0 in early May. I probably had 40-50 perfect sections in the month leading up to the test.

(I think. I'd have to look at my notes to confirm. This sounds right, though.)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@ohnoeshalpme said:
    Hey guys,

I studied logic games for a few weeks without foolproofing before failing to finish the section in the undisclosed February test. I could have been as high as -8 or 9 if the curve was nice and I was close to perfect on the other sections or more like -5 if I missed a couple on the other sections. All I know for sure is that I got a 172. This uncertainty is the curse of the undisclosed February test.

I started foolproofing for my retake in late May, got my first perfect section about halfway through foolproofing tests 1-35 (70ish original games and 280ish unique attempts) and was starting to be perfect or -1 more often than not by the time I finished foolproofing tests 1-35(140 unique games and 560 attempts). Foolproofing those first 35 PTs of games using the Pacifico Attack Method took me 42 days.

I did about 560 more game attempts spread out over the remaining PTs for a total of 1020 or so by the time I tested in September and was more consistent, but still would have trouble finishing maybe every sixth section or so the first time on average. I missed 1 on the actual section during my September retake.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

My first -0? I had to get through all 1-35. That took 1-2 months of FP'ing.