Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stanford Optional; obscure or relevant? (lit character)

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage

So I am working on my optional essay for Stanford and have a dilemma. One of the questions I want to answer is;

• What literary character do you most associate yourself with?

Option A -
Now, I can instantly think of a character that I've connected to for years. I read the book every year because I love it so much. It is by my favorite author, and I love everything about it. The problem is I fear the book might be too obscure. I feel like not enough people would have read it, and I'm worried the admissions team might not gain anything from it because they don't know enough about the character. I understand this is where my writing comes in. I have to show them who the character is, and how I associate with him in 250 words, but is it a risk?

Option B-
I could also write the essay about a well know character, but I feel like it loses some power because I'm being "less honest" with how I associate with the character. The admissions team would know the character for sure, but I don't feel the same connection to these other characters and feel like my essay would lose that earnestness.

I think option A is my best bet, but what do you think?

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Definitely option A. I think they will encounter a lot of essays with characters that they've never heard of and probably enjoying hearing an essay from a different perspective. This might be more advantageous for you anyway because it will be more unique. Besides they will probably be able to tell if you're BS-ing your way through an essay of a character you can't relate to. :)

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I don't normally wade into the convos about application prep, but I personally don't see much wrong with Option A. I mean, as long as you aren't writing about The Judge in Blood Meridian or Captain Ahab, you should be alright in my estimation, obscure or not obscure. I mean, who knows, maybe someone on the admissions panel also relates to that character or interest in that character is sparked.

Go for it
    David

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I would definitely say option A. They probably get a lot of essays about the same characters and would appreciate a new one. It's also more about your writing and insightfulness than about knowing who a character is. They might even appreciate the book rec. :) But always go for honesty, I say!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited January 2018 13286 karma

@tringo335 @BinghamtonDave @"Leah M B"

Thanks you three! I sorta knew the right answer while typing it out, but I just wanted to make sure. Now that I know which I'm going to write about I'm going to have to figure out how to contain myself to 250 words! I could write a 5 page essay on this character! haha

• StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

This has definitely been "asked and answered," as it were, but I just wanted to say I think it's awesome that you seem so excited about this topic, and I'm certain that will come across in Option A. I think it's always the best policy to go for honesty, especially when it's something you're clearly into. I definitely veered towards quirkier stuff in my essays, and I think it'll make you extra memorable. I'm dying to know what the book is :) Good luck!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@LSATcantwin are you choosing a star wars character? Luke? Vader? Vitiate?

13286 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    @LSATcantwin are you choosing a star wars character? Luke? Vader? Vitiate?

Haha I thought about Darth Bane, but I don't think writing an essay that says;

"I'm super powerful, you obey me or die"

is a good look for law school you know?

3788 karma

@LSATcantwin . Didnt Darth Bane institute the Rule of 2? Maybe you could connect that to Law and how having governing principles helps an organization survive a millenia, like the Sith were able to. Jk haha

13286 karma

@LSATcantwin . Didnt Darth Bane institute the Rule of 2? Maybe you could connect that to Law and how having governing principles helps an organization survive a millenia, like the Sith were able to. Jk haha

That’s pretty crafty! He did create the rule of two, I also think he is no longer canon...I refuse to watch the new movies because Disney cut off the extended universe...

3788 karma

Haha thanks so im presuming you didnt see the recent films: force awakens and last jedi?

@LSATcantwin said:

That’s pretty crafty! He did create the rule of two, I also think he is no longer canon...I refuse to watch the new movies because Disney cut off the extended universe...

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Option A!!!! That's literally the perfect character to write about! I also think you are spot on saying they want you to make the character real through your writing. Go for it!

13286 karma

Haha thanks so im presuming you didnt see the recent films: force awakens and last jedi?

@LSATcantwin said:

Nope, and I refuse to! Disney has no right to take over 35 years of fan inspired Star Wars universe and say;

• "oh, nah you don't get that because we want to make money now."

That little stupid rolly droid? BBwhatever? Yeah he was put into the film so they could sell him as a toy later.

Don't get me started lol....

3788 karma

Don't forget the PORGS too. A discount version of Ewoks. Jakuu that desert planet is a discount Tattooine haha.

@LSATcantwin said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Nope, and I refuse to! Disney has no right to take over 35 years of fan inspired Star Wars universe and say;

• "oh, nah you don't get that because we want to make money now."

That little stupid rolly droid? BBwhatever? Yeah he was put into the film so they could sell him as a toy later.

Don't get me started lol....

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Yes! Agree with other posters. This is the time to be as specific about yourself as possible :)