Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cornell: Influenced to apply...

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 13286 karma

So I'm a bit confused by this section of Cornell's application. No one influenced me to apply to Cornell (except secretly Andy from the office...) but it is a mandatory part of the application with a little * and all.

Now I'm pretty sure all I have to do is write something like: N/A or Not applicable here.

What I'm stuck on is if I should maybe write more about my decision to apply to the school here instead? This sounds wrong, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b04fd4704fcc9b5602e8c1999cae133f/tenor.gif?itemid=5368207

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    So I'm a bit confused by this section of Cornell's application. No one influenced my to apply to Cornell (except secretly Andy from the office...) but it is a mandatory part of the application with a little * and all.

Now I'm pretty sure all I have to do is write something like: N/A or Not applicable here.

What I'm stuck on is if I should maybe write more about my decision to apply to the school here instead? This sounds wrong, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b04fd4704fcc9b5602e8c1999cae133f/tenor.gif?itemid=5368207

Sounds like it would be best to leave it blank unless someone specifically influenced you to apply there.

Did you write a Why X for Cornell? They seem to YP pretty hard sometimes.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:
    So I'm a bit confused by this section of Cornell's application. No one influenced my to apply to Cornell (except secretly Andy from the office...) but it is a mandatory part of the application with a little * and all.

Sounds like it would be best to leave it blank unless someone specifically influenced you to apply there.

That's the thing! You HAVE to write something in the box or you can't submit the app.

I plan on doing it, but I haven't gotten to it yet!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

That's the thing! You HAVE to write something in the box or you can't submit the app.

I plan on doing it, but I haven't gotten to it yet!

Sounds like N/A would be appropriate but I'm not sure... interesting lol

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Cornell is one of my top choices. Let me know what the app is like, haha.

13286 karma

Also I am not sure what YP means lol @"Alex Divine"

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Yield Protect. I know you got that sexy 170+ score now, so they may think you're just gaming them for negotiation purposes. Plus, they have a relatively small class size as well.

13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Yield Protect. I know you got that sexy 170+ score now, so they may think you're just gaming them for negotiation purposes. Plus, they have a relatively small class size as well.

Oh gotcha, I met with them at the LSAC forum I went to and they seemed really interesting. I decided to apply then!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Oh gotcha, I met with them at the LSAC forum I went to and they seemed really interesting. I decided to apply then!

Ithica is a beautiful place to live (except if you hate winter and snow), and their BL placement is one of the highest in the country!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3521 karma

I wrote something about how when I researched Cornell Law and saw professors and alumni advocating for Cornell how they influenced me to apply. I think it can be really broad like that - it doesn't have to be someone you personally know.

13286 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    I wrote something about how when I researched Cornell Law and saw professors and alumni advocating for Cornell how they influenced me to apply. I think it can be really broad like that - it doesn't have to be someone you personally know.

Yeah see this is kinda what I was thinking. Do you think it's better to do something like this instead of a N/A?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Sounds like a great short blurb to put in there! Their own representative at the LSAC forum influenced you. :)

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Sounds like a great short blurb to put in there! Their own representative at the LSAC forum influenced you. :)

Why does that seem so cheesy to me?

I think what is happening is I'm reading it like they want some close personal relationship. Instead of some nameless kid from an LSAC forum lol

I also think that this is a really good suggestion. Thanks Leah!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited January 2018 4196 karma

I think I put N/A for that part.

I don't think it should be where you say why you're applying to the school, as there is the Cornell Interest section for that.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I think what is happening is I'm reading it like they want some close personal relationship. Instead of some nameless kid from an LSAC forum lol

I mean, I think N/A probably wouldn't hurt anything. But I don't know, I guess I feel like something is better than N/A? Couldn't hurt to tell them that the presence at LSAC forums is helpful. I'm sure either is fine.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

I don't think it should be where you say why you're applying to the school, as there is the Cornell Interest section for that.

did you do any of the other optional essays?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited January 2018 4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

I did the optional diversity statement, no Why Cornell though. although my DS for them was like half of a Why Cornell but it all tied together. Ehh, they either like it or they don't. shrugs

edit: if you wanna check it out, DM me on fb! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

I did the optional diversity statement, no Why Cornell though. although my DS for them was like half of a Why Cornell but it all tied together. Ehh, they either like it or they don't. shrugs

edit: if you wanna check it out, DM me on fb! :)

Niceeee! I'll DM you on FB because I'm gunning hard for Cornell.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Do you remember the name of the representative? If you do, you could put down their name. That would show that you pay attention at forums

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Omg can you just put ‘Andy Bernard’ in real life LOL

13286 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Do you remember the name of the representative? If you do, you could put down their name. That would show that you pay attention at forums

I do! I think I even have their card!

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

@LSATcantwin
    Hey, who did you speak with? I went to their LSAC Forum in November (NYC) and spoke with a rep who then connected me with a student ambassador. In my "who influenced" and "why cornell" I mentioned my conversations with them and what I learned, etc.

Also, if you know any alum or current students I think that'd be a great starting point. (speaking with current students, I'm excited at X, Y). They're really big on their tight knit community.

At least is what I did... haven't been accepted, interviewed 12/20.

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 175 karma

@"Alex Divine" one part of the application asked me to write Why Cornell.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:
    @LSATcantwin
    Hey, who did you speak with? I went to their LSAC Forum in November (NYC) and spoke with a rep who then connected me with a student ambassador. In my "who influenced" and "why cornell" I mentioned my conversations with them and what I learned, etc.

Also, if you know any alum or current students I think that'd be a great starting point. (speaking with current students, I'm excited at X, Y). They're really big on their tight knit community.

At least is what I did... haven't been accepted, interviewed 12/20.

Your demonstrated interest/Why Cornell game is on point. :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@needmylsat180 said:
    @"Alex Divine" one part of the application asked me to write Why Cornell.

Thanks! I'm definitely planning on writing a Why Cornell. Do you remember any other special things they required?

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    175 karma

@"Alex Divine" nothing special except those mentioned by themikey and the mandatory why cornell. Maximum 1000 words. I also have a list of Cornell law interview questions gathered by some asian experts. I can PM it to you if you want.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@needmylsat180 said:
    @"Alex Divine" nothing special except those mentioned by themikey and the mandatory why cornell. Maximum 1000 words. I also have a list of Cornell law interview questions gathered by some asian experts. I can PM it to you if you want.

Sure! I would appreciate that :) TY!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Whoo, Cornell fan club! I think what you said would be sufficient. I think i said something along the lines of Cornell's reputation made me look into it, and then student testimonials made me apply. But all flowery and eloquent like :)