Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I got rejected from a safety school...

Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 877 karma

So my first rejection was from a safety school. I am a little bit confused by the fact that I got rejected from Boston College Law. I mean, thank God I already got into 2 better ranked schools already (one being a top 14 school. Still waiting to hear back from 11 more schools). However, my stats are quite a bit above BC Law's median and my personal statement/resume are decently competitive. If they were trying to yield protect me, wouldn't they just waitlist me? Anyone else have any insight into this? I mean, I was never planning on attending BC Law but it is confusing...

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Do you have any Character and Fitness violations?

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Yes...a parking ticket.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Sarah889 said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

Yes...a parking ticket.

Wow, you devil!

https://m.popkey.co/ad9e2f/9yVwg_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=popkey&i=emoji--reactions&l=search&f=.gif

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Sarah889 said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

Yes...a parking ticket.

That's it for sure... lmao

How far are you above their medians?

877 karma

@"Alex Divine" 169 LSAT; 3.7 GPA

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@Sarah889 said:

Yeah, with those stats you were more than likely YP'd. Their medians are like 3.5/162. They knew they were safety school and you weren't ever planning on attending.

Enjoy attending a much better school :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It's odd... it could just be because they genuinely don't think you would have attended? Admissions are a mysterious thing. You have better acceptances, so I'd just concentrate on those. :)

3521 karma

Yeah I think they knew you were applying there as a safety lol.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

Lol, can someome please explain yield protection?

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited January 2018 609 karma

@JerryClarke242

if school x extends offers to amazing stats people they could find themselves in a position where all those they extended offers to, ended up deciding not to go there because they chose to go to a better ranked school that also extended an offer.

3521 karma

@doyouevenLSAT said:
    @JerryClarke242

if school x extends offers to amazing stats people they could find themselves in a position where all those they extended offers to, ended up deciding not to go there because they chose to go to a better ranked school.

Yeah, and if that happens they can drop in the US News and World Report rankings, since "acceptance rate" is one of the ranking factors.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

Is it just me or is this whole law school thing getting more complicated by the minute?

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

"Yield Protect" you? Wtf man, this admissions game is insane. Hadn't heard of this until now. Best of luck to you!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JerryClarke242 said:
    Is it just me or is this whole law school thing getting more complicated by the minute?

Not just you, haha.

@cgracia12 said:
    "Yield Protect" you? Wtf man, this admissions game is insane. Hadn't heard of this until now. Best of luck to you!

The good thing is you can usually submit a good "Why X" essay and do other optional essays to help protect from being YP'd. Being YP'd is usually a good problem to have!

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

BC is notoriously odd with admissions and any CF greatly increases your odds of a ding with them. So it could be a yeild protect or the CF. CFs (even minor) seems to be one of the common threads between people unexpectedly dinged there.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@Sarah889 said:

We're score twins!

And I'd concur with the other folks that it's for yield protection.

@JerryClarke242 One way to think of it is like this: If a school gives out 100 acceptances and 80 people say yes compared to a school that gives out 100 acceptances and only 60 people say yes, this statistic can tell you how desirable that school is to attend in that more people offered said yes (and this statistic is used in calculating rank). It's like being the decent-looking boy at the school dance who only asks girls (or guys) in his league to dance out of fear of rejection from super cute people. And schools try to fuck with this statistic by selectively giving out acceptances.

One way to avoid being YP'd (and to just bolster your application overall) is to add a "Why This Law School" section to your application, either in an essay that the school already asks for or in the last paragraph of your personal statement. This gives a really strong impression that you're interested and strongly considering that school.

Actually, doing this got me two full ride acceptances to SUPER low safety schools, Stetson (154 median SAT) and UF (160), that I am obviously not likely to attend (Maybe I'm just being mean by leading them on, hah, but I honestly applied to these schools based on my previous LSAT score, 159, just in case my second score didn't jump high enough). Then again, these schools may not be playing the YP game as hard as Boston College is.

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

I'm really happy for you for getting into schools that you would rather go to, but I wonder if there's a way to be a bit more sensitive to people for whom BC might be a dream school and not a safety school? If you weren't ever planning to go anyway, it shouldn't really matter that you were rejected. The process is a crapshoot. But for others, this news might be devastating.

• ellen.gao625ellen.gao625 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

Yield protection for sure!!

edited January 2018 877 karma

@sophie74 I'm sorry if you interpreted my post as being insensitive. I never once meant to imply that BC Law is an inferior school. It's not, in any way-- it's a great school!

I specifically only noted that it was lower ranked than other schools I got into, which is not an opinion or derogatory statement. It's merely just a fact. And yes, I was not planning on going there for many reasons-- it's far from my home and Boston is an expensive place to live, among other reasons. But none of these things imply that BC Law is inferior or a bad school at all. My initial post is 100% about statistics and how my admissions result was puzzling, considering BC's median stats and my stats.

Nonetheless, I apologize if you or anyone else is offended and I extend my congratulations to anyone who did get into BC Law!

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@sophie74 I think OP was just sharing a part of her cycle with the community :) And granted, she has reason to be confused based on her stats. Now, maybe others who are in this position in the future will have a better understanding of why!

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

@Sarah889 Thank you for clarifying, that totally makes sense, I was just pointing out how it could be interpreted. No worries

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

@Sarah889 Hey, wondering what your approach was to BC if at all? (demonstrating interest, talking to them at LSAC forums, etc)

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

other factors besides numbers.