Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June LSAT: unforgiving curve?

jhanco10jhanco10 Alum Member
edited February 2018 in General 195 karma

Is it true that the June LSAT has the most unforgiving curve?

Admin note: edited title for clarity

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.cfm

Nope, seems fairly average to me. Use the 170 as the curve predictor.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

When I took it last June it was a pretty forgiving curve

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 3072 karma

June '17 was a tough curve for high scorers and much more forgiving for everyone else. Not sure if this is indicative of an overall pattern, though.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@benhancock68 said:
    Is it true that the June LSAT has the most unforgiving curve?

No. The curves vary, but are unrelated to the month the test is offered or which people take the test in which month. Instead, the curve is related to the actual difficulty of the test questions. The idea is that equal scaled scores from any two tests will represent equal ability. Obviously, some tests will happen to play to your individual strengths or weaknesses, but this is not related to the month that the test is offered.

Since month doesn't matter to the difficulty of the test you should take it when you are ready. If that is June great, but any of the dates will give you an LSAT with an equal expected difficulty.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Curves vary.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

Really? I just took the June '17 PT and thought the curve was brutal. -5 gets you a 174...

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

instead, the curve is related to the actual difficulty of the test questions. The idea is that equal scaled scores from any two tests will represent equal ability.

Do you think that this holds up for the upper 170s curve? According to 7sage analytics PT81 has an average section difficulty of 2.5, the same as many other exams, but the curve is absolutely brutal with a -2 equivalent to a 178 and -5 equal to 174. PT77 has the same average difficulty at 2.5 but a -2 on that PT nets you a 180. PT76 actually has a lower average section difficulty at 2.25 but the curve is much more forgiving.

The curve at the upper 170s seems much more like guesswork than an exact science to me, just looking at analytics.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Return On Inference" said:
    @"surfy surf" said:

Really? I just took the June '17 PT and thought the curve was brutal. -5 gets you a 174...

instead, the curve is related to the actual difficulty of the test questions. The idea is that equal scaled scores from any two tests will represent equal ability.

Do you think that this holds up for the upper 170s curve? According to 7sage analytics PT81 has an average section difficulty of 2.5, the same as many other exams, but the curve is absolutely brutal with a -2 equivalent to a 178 and -5 equal to 174. PT77 has the same average difficulty at 2.5 but a -2 on that PT nets you a 180. PT76 actually has a lower average section difficulty at 2.25 but the curve is much more forgiving.

The curve at the upper 170s seems much more like guesswork than an exact science to me, just looking at analytics.

I think they probably try to make it hold for all ranges of the curve. But it is hard to know if they succeed. I did find my scores to be fairly consistent while scoring in the 176 to 178 range even when the curve was stricter or more generous as far as misses went. But that could vary by person.

What I am certain of is that it doesn't vary based on what month's test it is. The June curve won't be harder or easier at the top of the score range or otherwise because it is the June test. It could randomly be harder or easier though.

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    432 karma

@"Return On Inference" said:
    @"surfy surf" said:

How is 7sage's difficulty rating determined? That could be unreliable if it doesn't distinguish difficulties enough.