Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-LSAT related: Talk about yourself!!!

Comments

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Hey y'all!

My name is Carlos, been studying for LSAT inconsistently for a little over 2 years now...

As you could probably tell from the introduction, I'm from Laredo, Texas born and raised but currently living in Dallas. I graduated from Texas A&M University in 2013 (Gig'em Ags, whoop!) and have been teaching Spanish high school for the past 4 years.

I got my Masters in Sport Management there, so I'm a HUGE sports guy! Love any and everything about basketball. In my free time I love to hoop, grab some drinks with friends, and I also spend a lot of time with my gf who is a pharmacy student at Texas Tech. She got me hooked on black mirror so I've also been watching that on the weekends now, awesome show!

I have serious aspirations to do sports law and would be a dream come true if I become a sports attorney/agent. This community is awesome man. Some really good people on here that love to help and motivate each other. Very thankful to have subscribed here. Best of luck to everyone!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I'm Korean too! Theres surprisingly alot of people who are talented with LSAT. I had couple friends who are Korean natives but attended boarding schools in usa who got high 160s with minimal studying, going through a couple of logic games. I wish i was just as talented

@"mickey.caleb" said:

@"lady macbeth" said:
    @"mickey.caleb" Omg! What's South Korea like? Did you also get to visit Japan and other countries in Asia? Have always wanted to see SoKo & Japan.

What's the difference between the way children learn here vs there? Difference you've noticed in work ethic? I heard South Korea is very firm on kids going to school to the point where It drives the children to having major depression. I also heard that during college exam day like the SAT, planes aren't allowed to be flown in the sky. Nonetheless, I assume discipline is very much emphasized in the education there.

South Korea is quite westernized. You can get around with only English just fine. You can generally count on most people under 50 to have good English abilities and anyone around our ages will be quite easy to communicate with. They love to eat BBQ and they have a great disposition towards America. I was in and around Seoul mostly and while the country is still considered to be pretty homogeneous overall, the population is so large and the last ranking I saw had Seoul as the 6th most visited city in the world so you won't get stared at or anything.

There are populations in different areas of Seoul representing most areas in the world. I was also surprised at how many French people I ran into. They take their education very seriously... even having their first big entrance exam at the end of middle school to determine what level of high school they'll attend. They are fans of sports but participating in sports is not very high on their list of priorities. It is much more common to attend academies as an after school activity. These are basically schools they go to after their normal school. English and music academies are the most common through elementary and middle school and they try to become fluent before high school. Once they begin high school they switch over to math/science/ or some other academy that they feel is more pertinent towards helping them with their college exams.

They don't stop plane flights for exams haha Surprisingly, they have one of the least efficient forms of education in the world according to data that compares hours spent in the classroom to increases in performance in various subjects. They do score VERY high so it could just be that returns for time spent level off after so many hours but they just push through those periods anyways to get those little increases. The kids are kids just like anywhere in the world I think. They don't like that they have to be in school all the time but they find a way to goof around and act out their dramas during breaks or in the couple hours they might have in the evening. They are pushed pretty hard and it is true that the respect and discipline required during class hours is real. It's one thing they train all of us going over there to teach because most foreigners tend to have a more informal disposition coming in. It is quite common to have cameras in the classrooms and for the school administrators to be watching to make sure both the students AND the teachers are following the guidelines... heck, even parents have access to view it from home in some places. This definitely wasn't my favorite part of being there. It felt like it was more like me and the kids vs the administrators/parents haha

Getting into a good university is the equivalent of "making it" there and it's very common to have the friends they make from high school/ university to be the same group of friends/connections they have for life. It's how they get jobs and who they spend their time with forever. They tend to go wild once they get to college and with a lower drinking age and it being legal to drink in public really helps facilitate that. The country is small in terms of space and they are always within a short distance of all their family and friends.

And yes, I did get to visit Japan. Japan felt like a total 180 from Korea. Tokyo has more of an old European feel to it. Very courteous people but much harder to communicate as English is not a big priority in Japan compared to Korea.

Ok, I think i've written enough and it's time for bed. I hope you get a chance to visit there some time. Many people go alone and if you choose one of the guesthouses/hostels in the $20/night or less range you'll find TONS of other young people from around the world doing the same thing. Instant friend groups and you'll never run out of fun to have in Seoul. If you stay at places that are more expensive you'll be more likely to not find a crowd that you'd want to spend time with!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Im sensing some good chemistry amongst our fellow 7sagers. @"Alex Divine" @"lady macbeth" Maybe 7sage should make a dating app for lsaters. Those with higher scores get more swipes

LOL wouldn't that be something. Likes long walks on the beach, check. Watches movies, check. Enjoys California sunset, check. Is an investment banker, wait!... reapply filter

Hahaha! It definitely takes a unique type to date a banker. Usually NYU grads who are fashion interns who frequent Brother Jimmy's and Lavo.

https://imgur.com/lLe0P5t

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

Im sensing some good chemistry amongst our fellow 7sagers. @"Alex Divine" @"lady macbeth" Maybe 7sage should make a dating app for lsaters. Those with higher scores get more swipes

LOL wouldn't that be something. Likes long walks on the beach, check. Watches movies, check. Enjoys California sunset, check. Is an investment banker, wait!... reapply filter

Hahaha! It definitely takes a unique type to date a banker. Usually NYU grads who are fashion interns who frequent Brother Jimmy's and Lavo.

https://imgur.com/lLe0P5t

When I was 19 I used my fake ID at Brother Jimmys in Union Square. The guy was like "This is the worst fake ID I've ever seen but I'm gonna let you in anyways."
    https://m.popkey.co/f0c2e1/0moZ6.gif

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

When I was 19 I used my fake ID at Brother Jimmys in Union Square. The guy was like "This is the worst fake ID I've ever seen but I'm gonna let you in anyways."
    https://m.popkey.co/f0c2e1/0moZ6.gif

Omg haha! Brother Jimmy's in Union Square. I'm at the one on 8th ave on Friday nights after work. That's my spot. You're lucky they let you in though. I once got turned away for an expired license even though I'm clearly legal to drink and go there weekly.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    edited January 2018 436 karma

Hi I'm Hamaseh (pronounced Hama-say) but everyone just calls me Ham. I just wanted to comment on this thread since it's so hype hahahaha

I'm 23, just graduated with a degree in Neuroscience, lived in Boston for 4 years but moved back to California after graduation and I can't say I miss the cold. In my free time I deal with my LSAT anxiety (jokes :wink: butnotreally), listen to podcasts (all things NPR, Impact Theory - Tom Bilyeu), read some tinggggs (current - The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck), and workout (have you all discovered the magic of jump roping yet??).

I don't currently work but I do volunteer with high schoolers as an assistant coach for a competitive mock trial program. I've learned more about criminal law from these kids then I've ever known in my life.

I also have a blog - www.hamasehs.com - that I started when I was competing for a pageant in 2016. I used to blog about positive body image and overcoming body dysmorphia but I haven't been super active since then. My New Years resolution is to be more active online, make it a more personal outlet, and actually publish something since I have like a billion drafts going right now.... sharing so you guys can hold me accountable :smile:

Some other goals: learn Arabic and start vlogging maybe??? It seems so fun, I'm thinking of giving it a try

Finally, I'm happiest when I'm driving and listening to my music. Currently on some Kaytranada, GoldLink, and Majid Jordan but also
    Ain't No Use - Matt Woods
    Just a Lover - Hayden James (oldie but goodie)

@me if you have good music to share!!!!

@"lady macbeth" nice thread

436 karma

@LindsMitch said:

I jumped around in undergrad quite a lot, had a lot of different interests, and couldn't decide on a major. Ultimately decided to do a create-your-own interdisciplinary major by combining Comm Studies and Global Politics degrees. I was also pre-med for awhile, so I ended up with a biology minor and also one in French from when I studied abroad. I was a pretty inactive college student to be honest, in that I was not really involved with any clubs or societies. BUT I did have the most wonderful PT job on campus at our all-classical radio station. I worked there as a program host for four years and it was the best experience ever and I miss it still.

STORY OF MY UNDERGRAD LIFE!!! I did my first semester in Greece which was the best. I was also premed, dropped out, changed my major like 2 times then changed it back, stayed super inactive in college except for my marketing job which has lead me to some awesome work experiences. I just wanted to make my grades and go home but now I'm regretting that I wasn't more involved with school activities since law school apps... but also really learning from my choices. I'm trying to teach myself to get in the habit of being proactive and involved with my community.

Also so jelly of your Thailand trip!!! Are you going with a group or on your own?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    @LSATcantwin I've never heard of that video game but then again I don't know anything about gaming. I totally feel the part of what you said about sacrificing gym sessions and running for LSAT studying. But holy shit! 40 pounds is a lot!!!!! Haha sorry! I'm kinda jealous. I had pneumonia and was bedridden for weeks and lost the little gains I made at the gym and was so upset by It. It's hard for me to gain weight (natural ectomorph here) so I try to drink powder daily and lift to compensate. Running itself is something I feel is necessary for me sometimes haha, like kickboxing -- It just centers me. I've never heard of The DI either but 12 Angry Men is a classic and a must-watch for everyone, imo.

Also, I think it's awesome what you said about always being on 7sage. I feel nowadays a lot of people do what you do, but with social media like Instagram & Facebook -- which I think is a bit toxic. I recently deactivated my Instagram and Facebook. I also just try to stay away from social media in general and find my news from Apple News or Twitter. So, spending time here over social media is obviously beneficial and preferred.

Haha it was mostly because I quit smoking. I had been a cigarette smoker for about six years. When I quit, I found myself replacing the habit of going to smoke with eating! (smoking is an appetite suppressant as well) so while the LSAT contributed I'd say it was mostly that dramatic change haha

I also deactivated FB. The only "social media" I use now are Reddit and 7Sage. I use Reddit mainly for my video game addiction, and 7Sage just has a great community and I really enjoy helping people out. Actually, through 7Sage and a program I took part in, I found my love for teaching! I want to teach with my J.D. in some way shape or form!

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@Hamaseh_S Yes sometimes I think oh I should have tried to be more involved on campus, but in hindsight I was pretty busy with classes/work/internships. So I feel anything I actually tried to participate in would have been more perfunctory in nature and life's too short haha.

Also yes! Going alone to Thailand. I'm a big fan of the solo trip. The teacher training will have about 18-20 people in it though and lasts for a month, so I'm sure I'll get to know some of them quite well. I'm super excited!

• BDBD Alum Member
    128 karma

This community is so great. I wish I was friends with all of you in real life.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 1465 karma

This thread is great!

I grew up and went to undergrad in west michigan at a school you've never heard of (Hope College fans anywhere???). I love anything outside; rock climbing, kayaking, surfing (havent learned but am dying to), shredding powder, and traveling the country. I'm also a huge board game need, and I credit games for my success woth LG, that and a certain website you may know of ;)

I also love soccer more than life itself! I've played since I was 4, and I legitimately sleep with a ball, beneath a poster of Clint dempsey, don't judge me! Hoping to go to law school in a city with an mls team, kidding but not kidding.

I'm not a huge movie fan, so I'll go least favorite movies. Most disappointing waste of a brilliant concept: The invention of lying. Most maddening conclusion: Gone Girl. I do love series tho, especially Prison Break (mainly season 1) and parks and rec (season 2-5).

My other hobbies include agreeing with what @"Alex Divine" has already said on 7sage threads and overusing parentheses. And snacks. I often eat one meal per day in favor of constant snacking. Haven't gotten fat yet, but it's only a matter of time.

You all are great! Stay golden ponyboys!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Hey, @tylerdschreur10, I've heard of Hope College many times! :)

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    @"lady macbeth" :joy:

Ha! I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way.

We have our own issues with dating...

https://imgur.com/tgli2yh

loool

5254 karma

So I've been on here for a few months as a member. Before that I was on the Games pages and starting to read the forums and enough people on here convinced me to sign up. I've really enjoyed it since my first day as a member. I'm an NTS and grew up in a generation that loved Saturday morning classic cartoons and cereal box prizes. In the car when radio's all I have, I tend to play music from the oldies classic rock station because sometimes the original's the greatest. The LSAT has changed my life and I think about it every single day. It's almost separate from admissions sometimes and I feel like we're training for a huge marathon/performance. It's gotten me reading about athletes, motivation, self-help, and the like. I'm so glad I'm here and I just wish I'd joined sooner, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of the study process with this super-supportive community.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Sup y'all. Here's my 7sage/Tinder/farmersonly.com profile :wink:

Name: Devin
    Age: 28 (but I look 23 cause "black don't crack" :smile: )
    Undergrad: UCLA
    Major: American Literature
    Hometown: Long Beach, CA
    Interests:
    1. Sports (playing and watching) Lakers, Angels, Chargers, and Ducks all day errday
    2. Cookies (the new fudge covered mint oreos are insane!)
    3. Working out
    4. Netflix (I've been binge watching all of the drug cartel shows recently)
    5. Creeping on TLS
    6. Movies
    7. Studying for the LSAT :cry:

13286 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Interests:
    1. Sports (playing and watching) Lakers, Angels, Chargers, and Ducks all day errday
    3. Working out
    5. Creeping on TLS
    6. Movies

YOU’RE A DUCKS FAN?!

Mannnnn I thought we were buds. I mean, it’s not the Kings, but...Sharks all day every day!

1465 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Hey, @tylerdschreur10, I've heard of Hope College many times! :)

Good looking out!! Are you from the mitten then??

5254 karma

My thing is I can only take TLS for under 5 minutes then I see a mean comment and I'm like, no, just no. I do admire the person who stays on and finds something useful, though.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 2124 karma

Hey y'all

I’m 20 and currently live in New York. I graduated last May, with a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from the University of Iowa. When I’m not studying for the LSAT, I watch random Youtube videos on makeup/skin care and pointless prank videos. I honestly, truly find Youtube more entertaining than Netflix.Lately I’ve been trying to get my life together through meditating. I think it actually works( I use Headspace). I love love love podcasts, Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations is up there on my list.

I’m not too big on movies, but one of my favorites has to be Forrest Gump while my all time favorite series is Grey’s Anatomy, even though it always gets me in my feelings.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    edited January 2018 634 karma

What a great thread idea and an awesome way to use my study break lol!! I can't feel guilty about it if it's somewhat LSAT related right...?

My name is Katie, I'm 22 and graduated last year with a degree in Bioarchaeology/Paleoanthropology. I have a billion interests so choosing a career has been really difficult for me. I've been interested in archaeology since I was a kid and fell in love with it, but I'm also extremely passionate about humanitarian work. I did a lot of philanthropic activities in university, especially related to human rights and environmental justice. It's been a constant battle picking a career between either something I'm academically interested in, or something that can make a positive impact on the world.

In my free time, my hobbies include hanging out with my friends, travelling/exploring, reading academic papers on human evolution/new archaeological finds, watching documentaries, netflix... so much netflix, gaming, and exercising. I've recently been getting super active (since the LSAT has given me cabin fever) so I guess I have LSAC to thank for getting me into shape lol!

After the LSAT is done, I'm hoping to work for a bit to save up enough money to go to field school sometime in July or August. There's this great opportunity at a cave in Portugal where Neanderthal bones were found. If I end up falling in love with field school and law school doesn't work out, then I'll probably pursue a masters in bioarchaeology and go onto my PhD with the hopes of not becoming one of the thousands of unemployed PhDs..

I like to divvy up my favourite movies by category. Favourite movies just by association with good memories is Harry Potter as my roommates and I watched the movies rigorously in uni. Favourite artistic movie is Call Me By Your name. Favourite impactful movie is Good Will Hunting. Sci Fi movie would have to be Blade Runner. Action movie Mad Max. Guilty pleasure movie is 13 Going on 30 or She's The Man. Comedy will always be Austin Powers idk why.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

This is a fun thread! Nice to hear more about people.

I'm Leah. I'm 33, originally from Oregon, went to school in southern California, and now live in Seattle. I work in admin at a small record label. I studied music business in college, and have been lucky to work in it ever since. I love love love Seattle (except how our rents have gone through the roof in the last few years). It's full of all my favorite things: bookstores, art, music, craft beer. I signed up for Movie Pass a couple months ago and have been enjoying going to a ton of movies. I love going to Mariners games and am a Seahawks fan for life. I also listen to a ton of podcasts (lots of NPR, Pod Save America, Five Thirty Eight, etc).

edited January 2018 894 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    This is a fun thread! Nice to hear more about people.

Haha i feel like this thread has become a more pleasant version of “let’s go around the classroom and name three facts about ourselves” on the first day of class. What’s your fave movie of all time?

13286 karma

@kshutes13 said:
    What a great thread idea and an awesome way to use my study break lol!! I can't feel guilty about it if it's somewhat LSAT related right...?

My name is Katie, I'm 22 and graduated last year with a degree in Bioarchaeology/Paleoanthropology. I have a billion interests so choosing a career has been really difficult for me. I've been interested in archaeology since I was a kid and fell in love with it, but I'm also extremely passionate about humanitarian work. I did a lot of philanthropic activities in university, especially related to human rights and environmental justice. It's been a constant battle picking a career between either something I'm academically interested in, or something that can make a positive impact on the world.

In my free time, my hobbies include hanging out with my friends, travelling/exploring, reading academic papers on human evolution/new archaeological finds, watching documentaries, netflix... so much netflix, gaming, and exercising. I've recently been getting super active (since the LSAT has given me cabin fever) so I guess I have LSAC to thank for getting me into shape lol!

After the LSAT is done, I'm hoping to work for a bit to save up enough money to go to field school sometime in July or August. There's this great opportunity at a cave in Portugal where Neanderthal bones were found. If I end up falling in love with field school and law school doesn't work out, then I'll probably pursue a masters in bioarchaeology and go onto my PhD with the hopes of not becoming one of the thousands of unemployed PhDs..

I like to divvy up my favourite movies by category. Favourite movies just by association with good memories is Harry Potter as my roommates and I watched the movies rigorously in uni. Favourite artistic movie is Call Me By Your name. Favourite impactful movie is Good Will Hunting. Sci Fi movie would have to be Blade Runner. Action movie Mad Max. Guilty pleasure movie is 13 Going on 30 or She's The Man. Comedy will always be Austin Powers idk why.

This is single-handedly the coolest major I have ever heard of. I have a very undeveloped interest in archaeological studies (I've been to Machu Picchu and climbed over to Huayna Picchu) I absolutely loved every second of it. I have a check list of things I want to visit (Easter Island, Egypt, Stone Henge...) I also did a report on Otzi!

How did you even find such an awesome major?

894 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    So I've been on here for a few months as a member. Before that I was on the Games pages and starting to read the forums and enough people on here convinced me to sign up. I've really enjoyed it since my first day as a member. I'm an NTS and grew up in a generation that loved Saturday morning classic cartoons and cereal box prizes. In the car when radio's all I have, I tend to play music from the oldies classic rock station because sometimes the original's the greatest. The LSAT has changed my life and I think about it every single day. It's almost separate from admissions sometimes and I feel like we're training for a huge marathon/performance. It's gotten me reading about athletes, motivation, self-help, and the like. I'm so glad I'm here and I just wish I'd joined sooner, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of the study process with this super-supportive community.

I also came to learn about 7sage after watching the free games videos. I realized I wanted to see all the videos so I enrolled in the course! No regrets. I totally resonate with what you said about the LSAT changing your life and thinking about It everyday. Sometimes I wake up and it's the first thing I think about. I think I have to make sure I don't get to an unhealthy point about It where studying for It becomes the major stressor of my life (even tho It kinda is) and affects my mental health in any way. But thinking about It everyday also has brought positivity in my life as I think of most situations as LR questions, like day to day conversations with people. I think It also has caused me to have a more open mind and presume less.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited May 2018 1363 karma

HI EVERYONE!

I'm from Toronto, and graduated with a BA in political science. I'm currently working 2 jobs: one's in the health care sector and the other's research with a Prof. I speak about 3 (.5-ish) languages and have experience teaching abroad in the global south as well! So, fairly well traveled.

I'm a huge soccer/football, Star Wars and Marvel fan too! If I'm not working/studying for the LSAT/watching soccer games, I spend my time listening to indie/indie-folk/indie-pop/folk music from various corners of the world (French music, anyone?), working out, cooking, or listening to podcasts (McGill law journal, Pod save America, More Perfect, Stay Tuned with Preet to name a few). I'm a politics/international relations junkie too, so I spend a significant amount of time watching/reading the news.

Also, I've been looking for documentary stuff and would be grateful for any suggestions! Don't really have a specific topic/genre in mind, so anything (good) would do!

Thanks for this thread, @"lady macbeth"!

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

@"lady macbeth" which essential oils are you into?! Ever since I started studying for the LSAT I've been super into skincare... as in I do a homemade facial every night. Nothing better to beat the stress

894 karma

@beezmoof said:
    @"lady macbeth" which essential oils are you into?! Ever since I started studying for the LSAT I've been super into skincare... as in I do a homemade facial every night. Nothing better to beat the stress

I really feel you on that. The stress takes a toll on my skin actually and I try to my best to not look stressed haha. It used to be a lot worse, before I really improved my score, I was feeling super upset like real emotional and I'd get horrible acne lol. What do you put in your homemade facials? I use lavender oil mostly to help me sleep and in the summer I use It to ward off mosquitoes. Tea tree oil is a must in everyone's cabinet honestly. My current favorite oil is French Girl Organic 'hair revive.' My morning routine is the milky jelly cleanser by Glossier then French Girl Organics moisturizing cream and finally face sunscreen. I try to reapply the SPF every two hours but sometimes I get busy/forget. At night I use a basic foam salicylic acid cleanser from Clean & Clear with my Clarisonic facial cleansing brush and then I use 'solution' by Glossier and then the night detox oil from Caudelie (this has grape seed essential oil I believe) -- some nights I top that all off with Origins 'drink up intensive' night mask. GOSH I SOUND LIKE A BEAUTY YOUTUBER.

@thisissparta said:
    Also, I've been looking for documentary stuff and would be grateful for any suggestions! Don't really have a specific topic/genre in mind, so anything (good) would do!

I really love Inside North Korea with Lisa Ling, The Act of Killing, and She's A Boy I Knew.

Thanks for this thread, @"lady macbeth"!

No problem haha. I think we all need some type of release where we're not mostly talking about our stresses with LSAT-ing. This is a great community that's supportive and makes you feel as though you aren't alone. But like other sites similar, I feel as though we see a lot of freaking out going on and we are guilty of freaking out a lot ourselves so I'm glad we all got to share some stuff still law school related but not as anxiety-inducing! Haha.

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:
    29 yr old Air Force vet. Majored in biology and returned this fall from a year of teaching English in South Korea. Teaching was kind of my own graduation gift and I was able to travel a little bit as well while I was over there.

Been coming to 7sage since September but usually lurk. I do enjoy reading everyone's posts though. At first I used to think LSATcantwin and Alex Divine were secretly employees of 7sage pretending to be normal members of the community haha

Dude! I was in Korea during the summer for a month last year! My grandparents and my family used to live together next to Seoul Arts Center before my parents and I moved to the US. My grandma still lives in the same house but my cousin's family moved in with her after my grandpa passed away years ago. It's crazy how redeveloped everything is in Korea now. I especially miss the night life near Gangnam station, all of those restaurants/bars operating 24/7, and chicken. Oh good GOD the chicken...

Other than that,
    I love playing Player Unknown's Battleground (it's a battle royale FPS game where you have to outlive 99 other people). I love shopping for computer parts. I love to cook and eat (I really enjoy cooking for my girlfriend). I love scotch and wine. I love reading. It seems that I love a lot of things. I absolutely love listening to Bach (especially works for the piano). I hate the LSAT. I live in Lewisville, Texas and love it. I love playing symphonic repertoire in orchestras.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

@Hamaseh_S said:
    Hi I'm Hamaseh (pronounced Hama-say) but everyone just calls me Ham. I just wanted to comment on this thread since it's so hype hahahaha

I'm 23, just graduated with a degree in Neuroscience, lived in Boston for 4 years but moved back to California after graduation and I can't say I miss the cold. In my free time I deal with my LSAT anxiety (jokes :wink: butnotreally), listen to podcasts (all things NPR, Impact Theory - Tom Bilyeu), read some tinggggs (current - The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck), and workout (have you all discovered the magic of jump roping yet??).

I don't currently work but I do volunteer with high schoolers as an assistant coach for a competitive mock trial program. I've learned more about criminal law from these kids then I've ever known in my life.

I also have a blog - www.hamasehs.com - that I started when I was competing for a pageant in 2016. I used to blog about positive body image and overcoming body dysmorphia but I haven't been super active since then. My New Years resolution is to be more active online, make it a more personal outlet, and actually publish something since I have like a billion drafts going right now.... sharing so you guys can hold me accountable :smile:

Some other goals: learn Arabic and start vlogging maybe??? It seems so fun, I'm thinking of giving it a try

Finally, I'm happiest when I'm driving and listening to my music. Currently on some Kaytranada, GoldLink, and Majid Jordan but also
    Ain't No Use - Matt Woods
    Just a Lover - Hayden James (oldie but goodie)

@me if you have good music to share!!!!

@"lady macbeth" nice thread

Nice, I had issues back in college with body dysmorphia and exercise addiction, glad you were able to overcome it! I love jump roping lol it's crazy how much you can do with just a rope. This is my favorite jumproping vids, I've been skipping rope for about 3 years now and can do most of these tricks but I'm not nearly as smooth!

2983 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Freddy_D said:

Interests:
    3. Working out
    5. Creeping on TLS
    6. Movies

YOU’RE A DUCKS FAN?!

Mannnnn I thought we were buds. I mean, it’s not the Kings, but...Sharks all day every day!

OH WOW!!!! I hate the sharks; however, I share your hatred of the Kings and Dodgers (most likely)

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    This is single-handedly the coolest major I have ever heard of. I have a very undeveloped interest in archaeological studies (I've been to Machu Picchu and climbed over to Huayna Picchu) I absolutely loved every second of it. I have a check list of things I want to visit (Easter Island,

Whoah - you climbed Huayno Picchu?!! I've never met anyone who climbed that mountain - I mean, its supposed to be deadly scary. I think its closed now to tourists. Very impressed!

13286 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@LSATcantwin said:
    This is single-handedly the coolest major I have ever heard of. I have a very undeveloped interest in archaeological studies (I've been to Machu Picchu and climbed over to Huayna Picchu) I absolutely loved every second of it. I have a check list of things I want to visit (Easter Island,

Whoah - you climbed Huayno Picchu?!! I've never met anyone who climbed that mountain - I mean, its supposed to be deadly scary. I think its closed now to tourists. Very impressed!

It was! There were times it was literal climbing rock. The trail was okay but I have some amazing pictures from it!! I’ll post some soon!

@LSATcantwin said:

@"lady macbeth" said:
    @LSATcantwin I've never heard of that video game but then again I don't know anything about gaming. I totally feel the part of what you said about sacrificing gym sessions and running for LSAT studying. But holy shit! 40 pounds is a lot!!!!! Haha sorry! I'm kinda jealous. I had pneumonia and was bedridden for weeks and lost the little gains I made at the gym and was so upset by It. It's hard for me to gain weight (natural ectomorph here) so I try to drink powder daily and lift to compensate. Running itself is something I feel is necessary for me sometimes haha, like kickboxing -- It just centers me. I've never heard of The DI either but 12 Angry Men is a classic and a must-watch for everyone, imo.

Also, I think it's awesome what you said about always being on 7sage. I feel nowadays a lot of people do what you do, but with social media like Instagram & Facebook -- which I think is a bit toxic. I recently deactivated my Instagram and Facebook. I also just try to stay away from social media in general and find my news from Apple News or Twitter. So, spending time here over social media is obviously beneficial and preferred.

Haha it was mostly because I quit smoking. I had been a cigarette smoker for about six years. When I quit, I found myself replacing the habit of going to smoke with eating! (smoking is an appetite suppressant as well) so while the LSAT contributed I'd say it was mostly that dramatic change haha

Honestly I’ve heard a lot of people make that complaint about smoking/eating. Cigarettes got me through my first two years of college (yellow American spirits were my go-to) but when i was preparing to start studying for the lsat, i wanted to combat my depression so i wouldn’t have to deal with lack of motivation, moodiness, poor concentration etc —- so then i began taking an antidepressant that also acts as a smoking cessation aid so i don’t even crave them anymore. I have to say though that there are few things in life that are more pleasurable than a coffee with a cigarette and a bagel... or having a cig before hitting the books hard.

13286 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

Honestly I’ve heard a lot of people make that complaint about smoking/eating. Cigarettes got me through my first two years of college (yellow American spirits were my go-to) but when i was preparing to start studying for the lsat, i wanted to combat my depression so i wouldn’t have to deal with lack of motivation, moodiness, poor concentration etc —- so then i began taking an antidepressant that also acts as a smoking cessation aid so i don’t even crave them anymore. I have to say though that there are few things in life that are more pleasurable than a coffee with a cigarette and a bagel... or having a cig before hitting the books hard.

The first cigarette of they day...oh my goodness lol I’m a pile of health. A cigarette with my Blue calorie free monster every morning for like years haha

Yeah I had to make a change! I was being way too unhealthy...

• dansykes94dansykes94 Core Member
    112 karma

My name is Daniel. I'm 23 and British, my fiance is American and I can't wait to immigrate there.

I have a ragdoll kitten named Winston and am spending almost every waking hour studying for the Feb exam. It's rough.

• kannhomankannhoman Core Member
    edited January 2018 59 karma

Late night study habits always end in snooping through the forums ✌️ I love reading through these positive (read: Non-LSAT) discussions, and decided recently I feel like getting more 7Sage active because why not?
    My name is Kelly and I was born and raised in Houston, TX by my two wonderful, NASA-nerd parents (my mom was a leading accountant in the contracting department until she retired early and decided to get her doctorate in Theology and my dad was the developer and head of the Virtual Reality lab and its training programs - will literally never not brag about them). I played golf in high school and loved/hated it. I wish I played more than I get to now, but I don’t miss competing!
    I originally attended the University of Alabama for undergrad (RMFT always). After some issues with personal health and bouncing around majors, I am finally a [super] senior graduating this August with a BS in Sociology plus a minor in Spanish. My plan is to take the LSAT for the first (and hopefully Last) time this June and start studying PI Law in 2019.
    I met my other half, Josh, at an Alabama-Texas A&M game while visiting one of my best friends who went to A&M. You know those stupid silly decorative signs that say “Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite”? Yeah, I definitely can’t say ours is beautiful, but it is 100% my favorite. We both grew up in the exact same area in Houston, but I went to a local private school and he went to one of the public schools. We had tons of mutual friends all throughout childhood and high school, including the best friend I was visiting at A&M for the football game, but we had never met until one night in College Station, ‘pre-gaming’ for our rival game, while I was being set up with a different guy by my friend. Needless to say the ‘blind date’ was not my type and I was hardcore distracted by this Aggie from almost literally down the street back home. And it was magical- especially when a few weeks later he dropped me straight into the ever-fabulous friend zone B) But I’m persistent af, so we’ll be celebrating our third wedding anniversary this coming October.
    Currently, we live in Orlando, FL with our two fur-monsters- Ladybird the Australian Shepherd and Penelope the Miniature Goldendoodle. My hobbies include spending way too much time in theme parks and taking obnoxious roller coaster photos. I work in Guest Research at Walt Disney World, so majority of my park going also involves working- but I still love it! It always makes me chuckle a little when I see @"Alex Divine" ‘s name because I work with a Divine and she’s... quite a character:

https://goo.gl/images/rEHsPh

TL;DR: I’m from Texas. I work at Disney World. My favorite movie is and always will be Secondhand Lions.

edited January 2018 634 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    This is single-handedly the coolest major I have ever heard of. I have a very undeveloped interest in archaeological studies (I've been to Machu Picchu and climbed over to Huayna Picchu) I absolutely loved every second of it. I have a check list of things I want to visit (Easter Island, Egypt, Stone Henge...) I also did a report on Otzi!

How did you even find such an awesome major?

It is pretty cool eh!! Ah yes, Otzi... I know more about him than a normal person should lol. Also, speaking of Easter Island, there is a great article that just came out by Sapiens (anthropological digital magazine) about the demise of Easter Island's culture. See here: https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/easter-island-demise/ Enjoy!!

Re: finding the major, I knew I wanted to do something archaeologically-related when I was in high school, and after doing some research, I realized that all the archaeology programs were sub-majors under this bigger major called Anthropology (I literally had never heard of it before lol). Decided to go into Anthropology (general) at university. There was a first year required course that covered all four sub-disciplines of Anthro: socio-cultural, linguistic, biological and archaeological. Fell in love with the biological aspect of it, and it overlapped a lot with archaeology (hence bioarchaeology), so I decided to specialize in it after my 1st year.

I had tons of cool labs with all these different fossils (well, casts of fossils) and got to see human evolution lay out before my eyes. It was awesome.

edited January 2018 13286 karma

@LCMama2017

Here is the view I had from Wayna Picchu!

https://imgur.com/gnj4jcq

@kshutes13 That is so cool. I'm going to read the article now. I now wish I didn't follow all the advice I got to do PolySci. Your major sounds so much better than mine. Count me jealous! Any area of the past that interests you the most? I'm in love with Incan/Mayan/Aztec cultures.

436 karma

@sakox010 said:

Nice, I had issues back in college with body dysmorphia and exercise addiction, glad you were able to overcome it! I love jump roping lol it's crazy how much you can do with just a rope. This is my favorite jumproping vids, I've been skipping rope for about 3 years now and can do most of these tricks but I'm not nearly as smooth!

WHAT I am mind blown!!! What the hell was that one legged thing lololllll so awesome that you can do most of that!!

Are you also into boxing? I know a lot of ppl start jump roping because they box (for me it was the opposite). I used to go to the best boxing gym in Boston but when I moved back home I needed something other than a treadmill so I started jumping.

Also P.S. yay to us for overcoming our bodies

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@kannhomcamp said:

It always makes me chuckle a little when I see @"Alex Divine" ‘s name because I work with a Divine and she’s... quite a character:

LOL :joy: Are you saying I am a tree? haha

I am clearly of the gods... duhh :wink:

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"lady macbeth" @beezmoof On the skincare topic, have y'all heard of this brand "The Ordinary" ? I've just recently discovered them and am going to soon place an order when I run out of my current skincare stuff. It is SO reasonably priced and has pretty rave reviews. They have several facial oils that are so much cheaper than elsewhere, like rosehip, organ, and squalane . Check it outttttttt, but beware you'll probably be lost in the website for an age. I guess it's a brand within a larger umbrella brand that has a number of different beauty/skin/haircare products.

• gcnlm995gcnlm995 Member
    edited January 2018 7 karma

Hi! So I had a completely different life in finance for 16 years and decided to change course entirely. I always felt being a lawyer or the ability to have at least a mastery of the law was important but my career was going too 'fast and furious' to take a step back. Both my parents are lawyers and I think (if I do well enough on this exam to get into a decent law schoo!) I will be a pretty good lawyer and certainly a very passionate one. What really finally got me to reexamine my priorities was the current administration and all of the lives it is negatively impacting. Money is important but is not everything -- so, with a little luck and a ton of studying, ill probably be the first hedge fund manager to quit the industry and happily do a lot of pro bono work for those that cannot afford representation on their own. I know this sounds corny and idealistic but that's the story! and yes, my family thinks I am completely insane...

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

@LindsMitch @"lady macbeth" Starting with the New Year, I actually cut out almost all chemicals from my skincare. So now I use tea tree facial bar soap from Whole Foods (only 2 bucks which is nice)! I'm a big lover of oils--right now using grapeseed oil for preventing blemishes and healing scars. Castor oil to promote hair growth (read: eyelashes!) So I definitely should check out "The Ordinary." My friend actually mentioned it to me the other day too! Do either of you use rosehip?
    As for homemade facials, love using lemon, tomato, potato, honey, rosewater, and turmeric. Lemon is really unparalleled though. And then witchhazel of course! Oh and the famous aztec clay mask with apple cider vinegar!! But my skin is very very stress sensitive so all this studying has required major upkeep.

As for Glossier, still trying to figure out if I want to buy the boy brow ugh. I visited the popup store and the popup perfume shop in NYC and I surprisingly did not like the vibes of the workers... super unfriendly. I guess that's NY for you though.

634 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @LCMama2017

Here is the view I had from Wayna Picchu!

https://imgur.com/gnj4jcq

@kshutes13 That is so cool. I'm going to read the article now. I now wish I didn't follow all the advice I got to do PolySci. Your major sounds so much better than mine. Count me jealous! Any area of the past that interests you the most? I'm in love with Incan/Mayan/Aztec cultures.

Lurking onto your conversation with LCMama: awesome photo!!

All majors are relative depending on your interests! Plus, polisci is invaluable.... bioarchaeology isn't necessarily anymore.

I'm gonna PM you my answer because I don't want to spam this thread and I'm about to geek out hard lmao

3788 karma

Any of you folks in socal?

2983 karma

Any of you folks in socal?

I am! Repping the LBC. What's up, fam?

3788 karma

Nice! Im in the IE, close to corona. Grew up in OC tho

2983 karma

Nice! Im in the IE, close to corona. Grew up in OC tho

Me, too. Lived in Garden Grove for a bit

1465 karma

@BrianSeo said:

@"mickey.caleb" said:
    29 yr old Air Force vet. Majored in biology and returned this fall from a year of teaching English in South Korea. Teaching was kind of my own graduation gift and I was able to travel a little bit as well while I was over there.

Been coming to 7sage since September but usually lurk. I do enjoy reading everyone's posts though. At first I used to think LSATcantwin and Alex Divine were secretly employees of 7sage pretending to be normal members of the community haha

Dude! I was in Korea during the summer for a month last year! My grandparents and my family used to live together next to Seoul Arts Center before my parents and I moved to the US. My grandma still lives in the same house but my cousin's family moved in with her after my grandpa passed away years ago. It's crazy how redeveloped everything is in Korea now. I especially miss the night life near Gangnam station, all of those restaurants/bars operating 24/7, and chicken. Oh good GOD the chicken...

Other than that,
    I love playing Player Unknown's Battleground (it's a battle royale FPS game where you have to outlive 99 other people). I love shopping for computer parts. I love to cook and eat (I really enjoy cooking for my girlfriend). I love scotch and wine. I love reading. It seems that I love a lot of things. I absolutely love listening to Bach (especially works for the piano). I hate the LSAT. I live in Lewisville, Texas and love it. I love playing symphonic repertoire in orchestras.

One word man, Fortnite! Haha