Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT June/July/September 2018 Advice ???

Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
in General 221 karma

Ok, so I have been pondering this for a while but haven't posted anything because well...I've been embarrassed. I started initially studying for the LSAT about 3 years ago, at first I didn't realize how serious this test was so I kind of just went into Barnes and Noble and bought run of the mill LSAT Prep Books, a Kaplan book and even an LSAT Prep book for Dummies(smh) at the time I was working full time teaching high school in Miami. Fast forward to the fall of 2016 I started to get a little more serious, I bought the LSAT Trainer and thinking that I would have more time on my hands in the spring of the year while I was still teaching (wth) I signed myself up for an in-person Testmasters course. Testmasters was pretty great except for the cost and the fact that I didn't actually have the time to work on the assigned homework outside of class. After this I decided to move back home and find a job that would allow me the time to focus on studying for this exam, I loved teaching, but it can be extremely taxing and I didn't believe it would allow me the time to do what was necessary for this test. This past winter I was attempting to self-study by using practice tests and drilling, but I realized that I really need video explanations to help me improve and a schedule to follow to keep me on track so I spent a bucket of cash to extend my Testmasters course for the December 2017 test. I though about extending it again but I realized 1.) I wasn't getting explanations for the all the questions I needed, often times I would have to ask "academic support" and wait a day for a response and 2.) the courses were only for 2-3 increments, I am still working full time and while I plan to study full time during the summer, I don't have the time to do so now.

I am posting this because I really need some advice, if someone asked me to run analytics on my LSAT profile I would definitely say that TIME is my biggest issue. I was always the last person finishing a test in high school and college, I may have gotten everything right, but I definitely didn't race to the finish line. I have a good grasp of the basics, and how to approach the different types of questions in LR and focusing on structure in RC. I would definitely say Logic Games are my weakness, but I would also say that Reading Comprehension is the section on which I need to increase my speed the most. Keeping that in mind I have been thinking about focusing on Fool Proofing until I reach -0 on Logic Games and starting the Premium course to get myself on a schedule for RC and LR.

I was originally thinking about doing the June 2018 LSAT but I am off during the summer so I though this would be a great opportunity to focus on studying full time to take the July or September test, but I want to put myself on a schedule now rather than leaving my intense studying until the summer; I also want to keep things fresh so I don't have to go back and re-teach myself key lessons.

What do you guys think? I want to focus on Fool Proofing using the Pacifico Method until I am able to consistently score -0 in LG but I also don't want to forget the skills for LR and RC. Should I put off PT-ing until I have been able to reach -0 in LR/LG and RC? Or am I thinking about this totally wrong? My apologies if this seems confusing my your help is much appreciated!!!

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hi, i would suggest taking a practice test now to guage where u are in each section respectively. Then i would put advise foolproofing until u can score around -2. And then get to the other sections. This is what has helped me. Foolproofing is going to be the most straightforward part of ur studying and you will improve rapidly. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Sept test. If time is an issue use the summer. And if you need to retake the next one is in November. Don’t stress. Take that extra 3 months. Why wouldn’t you?

• Frank JaegerFrank Jaeger Alum Member
    144 karma

I am in a similar situation as you and finally now have time to study for the LSAT. I suggest you take the September LSAT because you do not want to feel rushed for prep. Take your time and FP LG. This is probably the best way to go about things.

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

Take your time. Worst thing you could do is rush! But, you also have to remember that you will never be perfect.