Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
in General 360 karma

I just got my first 180 on a practice test and I'm about to pass out from excitement.

Comments

• calicolombiacalicolombia Alum Member
    38 karma

Hey, thats exciting! How long have you been prepping?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It's time to celebrate. Get numbered candles. Get a desert of your choice. Put 180 in said desert and wish for it to happen again on the real test.

I only have a sample size of one, but it worked for me.

Congratulations on the accomplishment!

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

How exciting! Go you!!! Go find some ice cream or pizza or such :)

• Jessica D.Jessica D. Member
    5 karma

Congrats! First, grab a paper bag to breathe into and then go get yourself something yummy to celebrate! :smiley:

• just.jaubsjust.jaubs Alum Member
    38 karma

That's wonderful, congrats! Remember this moment and celebrate-- and don't let a potential "bad PT" in the future bring you down; if that happens, instead come back to this post and relive your accomplishment :) It's no easy feat,and it's never a fluke!

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Congrats! That must feel amazing! How long have you been studying for?

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

I first started my lsat studies probably about five years ago, but I would always get busy with school and had to set it aside, except for when I took summer classes too. I graduated Dec. '16 though and I've been doing prep tests ever since with a couple of sabbaticals and vacations in there. I've taken close to fifty practice tests at this point, but I've been seeing and FEELING improvement every step of the way.

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

Wow! Way to go!! Your hard work is paying off!!

360 karma

@"Radhika." said:

Hard work definitely pays off. I believe my diagnostic several years ago was a 149.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Nice work! What do you think helped you get to this level?

360 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Nice work! What do you think helped you get to this level?

Just putting in the time, recognizing where I could get the most marginal benefit from improvement and most importantly hard work.

I guess, it starts with the blind review and getting to a point where I could answer any question possible without having worry about. After a while, for me at least, you realize you have the ability to get all the questions right. Then, it's just a matter of speed. Like, I thought I was confident months ago with getting scores around 170, but I've jacked up my confidence even more so. Now, I feel like I can tell when I'm actually misunderstanding a stimulus rather than getting tripped up by confusing referential phrasing. There used to be questions I would circle for blind review, but I came to realize a lot of those were circled simply because I was only slightly confused by the weird wording or something. Those questions really aren't an issue anymore because I circle the right answer and move on without trying to parse out every word to eliminate the confusion. Now, I'm comfortable with slight confusion, especially when I can admit to myself that the other answer choices I'm staring at are even bigger piles of trash and don't even begin to touch the argument. I've got so much extra time now that I'm usually able to go back and fix questions that I would have gotten wrong otherwise.

A really important thing for me was learning not to be afraid of over confidence. Starting out, I thought being overconfident was the worst thing I could do, but I figured out I would never be able to even gauge my confidence properly if didn't stop circling so many questions unnecessarily. I knew I was being way too under-confident and I had to just start taking shots at tests where I was blazing through the questions and sticking with my gut instead of second guessing. I came to find that it worked out fine. I get some overconfidence errors once in awhile, but the extra time I get to work on questions I KNOW I'm misreading has been well worth it. Setting a goal of spending only a minute per questions has allowed me to accomplish this.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

@s_jricke said:
    I just got my first 180 on a practice test and I'm about to pass out from excitement.

You are #goals

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

That's amazing, congrats! Well deserved, hope you did something fun to celebrate

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@s_jricke said:

@"Radhika." said:

Hard work definitely pays off. I believe my diagnostic several years ago was a 149.

Great job! Was this a fresh preptest?

360 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@s_jricke said:

@"Radhika." said:

Great job! Was this a fresh preptest?

yup

• cvaldez74cvaldez74 Member
    130 karma

outstanding!!! I'm a huge fan of a solid work ethic - you're proof that it pays off. best of luck on test day!!!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is awesome. Thanks for answering my question. What did your study routine look like before this point?

edited April 2018 360 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    This is awesome. Thanks for answering my question. What did your study routine look like before this point?

It's nothing special. I read the LSAT trainer several years ago and payed real close attention during the CC of 7sage. After that it has just been practice test taking every 2-3 days or logic game drilling. It's been mostly test taking, but sometimes I have to tighten up my logic game skills so I'll spend a day or two just hammering away at various logic games.